PDA

View Full Version : 400ex Clutch cable

backwoods129
09-19-2005, 03:00 PM
I keep having the same problem. I have a pro cucuit head pipe and the clutch cable runs in between the two pipes I've tried running it different ways but it's too short. Is there another cable to use? Has anyone else had this problem?

prepracing
09-19-2005, 10:33 PM
I saw some where on here that a 250ex ( I think ) clutch cable was longer where you could re-route around the headpipes. Mine gets melted on my HMF also, but as long as the braided part that surrounds the cable is not damaged it should still be ok.

backwoods129
09-20-2005, 06:41 AM
I've heard this but I don't know anyone that has done this for sure I'm going to try it. I race on Sat so I guess I'll see how it goes.

backwoods129
09-23-2005, 03:35 PM
Well I got my cables today and they the 300EX cable doesn't work the caseing is perfect but the insde cable is way to lont so it will not pull the clutch. So much for urban ledgends. Good thing I ordered a 400ex cable also. I guess I'll go back to my heat shield experiments.

yamablaster24
09-23-2005, 03:41 PM
Exhaust Wrap

backwoods129
09-26-2005, 07:10 AM
I've used that in the past and it worked for awhile but would still melt through after awhile. This time I used tin heat shields that come on GM car plug wire boots. They are about 3 inches long I used two faced the larger openings together and filled them with high temp RTV. It seamed to hold up fine when I raced on sat. BTW I got first in B class at the hill city Harescramble at Park X. If I burn through this heat shield I'll have a custom cable made I guess.

09-26-2005, 12:38 PM
my 400ex clutch cabel snaps like every 2 months for some reason. what i did for it tuching the header problum is took 2 wire ties and had the wire ties pulling it away from the header.
had one wire tie on the wire and one on the frame

aviator4
09-26-2005, 12:57 PM
I was having issues with my cable when I fist installed my Sparks pipe.

I actually took this idea from a buddies quad that has a DG pipe on it. It came with this little bracket.

I made a similar bracket and haven't had any problems since. I've been running it like this for almost a full year now. The cable is still smooth and easy to pull.