PDA

View Full Version : Feeding the Trolls

JOEX
09-18-2005, 08:11 PM
It would be more helpful to the site if members would report threads from trolls rather than continue to reply to them.

Thanks to the couple of you who did report them;)

Punk'd
09-18-2005, 08:16 PM
No problem, Its unbelieveable how someone could just act so childish.

TCracin440ex
09-18-2005, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
It would be more helpful to the site if members would report threads from trolls rather than continue to reply to them.

i just have gotten in the habbit where i rarely post anymore due to perfectly fine threads getting trashed...on my previous thread i made with pics of my pup...i let it be known that i didnt want flamers and if they didnt like my pics, dont like pits, or dont have anything nice to say to move on and do not post in my thread because i hate when good threads get trashed

Warnerade
09-18-2005, 08:21 PM
:(

TheFontMaster
09-18-2005, 08:57 PM
I think I missed something? Trolls, I don't get it.:confused:

JOEX
09-18-2005, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by TheFontMaster
I think I missed something? Trolls, I don't get it.:confused:
One or more individuals tried to flood the board with a bunch of garbage using several different user names.

troll
1. v.,n. [From the Usenet group alt.folklore.urban] To utter a posting on Usenet designed to attract predictable responses or flames; or, the post itself. Derives from the phrase “trolling for newbies” which in turn comes from mainstream “trolling”, a style of fishing in which one trails bait through a likely spot hoping for a bite. The well-constructed troll is a post that induces lots of newbies and flamers to make themselves look even more clueless than they already do, while subtly conveying to the more savvy and experienced that it is in fact a deliberate troll. If you don't fall for the joke, you get to be in on it. See also YHBT.

2. n. An individual who chronically trolls in sense 1; regularly posts specious arguments, flames or personal attacks to a newsgroup, discussion list, or in email for no other purpose than to annoy someone or disrupt a discussion. Trolls are recognizable by the fact that they have no real interest in learning about the topic at hand - they simply want to utter flame bait. Like the ugly creatures they are named after, they exhibit no redeeming characteristics, and as such, they are recognized as a lower form of life on the net, as in, “Oh, ignore him, he's just a troll.” Compare kook.

3. n. [Berkeley] Computer lab monitor. A popular campus job for CS students. Duties include helping newbies and ensuring that lab policies are followed. Probably so-called because it involves lurking in dark cavelike corners.

Some people claim that the troll (sense 1) is properly a narrower category than flame bait, that a troll is categorized by containing some assertion that is wrong but not overtly controversial. See also Troll-O-Meter.

The use of ‘troll’ in any of these senses is a live metaphor that readily produces elaborations and combining forms. For example, one not infrequently sees the warning “Do not feed the troll” as part of a followup to troll postings.

86350x
09-18-2005, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by JOEX

I already told you how to help control the trolls. Its good advice and will work.:confused:

Jake250ex
09-18-2005, 09:39 PM
its hard when the mods delete damn near anything these days... :(

this place is truning into Bluetraxx QUICKLY.

JOEX
09-18-2005, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Jake250ex

:confused:

Atkins
09-18-2005, 09:46 PM

Yea, I like it when people register to tell me they are bored with 5 different threads too!:confused:

Jake250ex
09-18-2005, 10:02 PM
lmao you guys lost me

:confused:

09-19-2005, 12:17 AM
am I a troll or an idiot? or both? :confused:

LTandRaptorider
09-19-2005, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by MixMasterMiketheidiotANDtroll
am I a troll or an idiot? or both? :confused:

Now why do you leave yourself open like that? :D

:devil:

Warnerade
09-19-2005, 05:05 AM

this place is truning into Bluetraxx QUICKLY. do you mean how the majority of the members cant spell? If so, great example...:)

wilkin250r
09-19-2005, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
i let it be known that i didnt want flamers and if they didnt like my pics, dont like pits, or dont have anything nice to say to move on and do not post in my thread

It's really sad when posts like this need to be said.

Nobody should EVER have to say "Please don't ruin my thread with flames and BS". It should be clear and understood from the start.

We have had a few members leave because the moderating staff closed threads. These members were often problematic to begin with.

We have had many members leave the site because it was full of flames and BS. Many of these same members were very active in the technical sections that this board is famous for, and posted great information on a regular basis, and added to the overall knowledge of the board.

TCracin440ex
09-19-2005, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
It's really sad when posts like this need to be said.

Nobody should EVER have to say "Please don't ruin my thread with flames and BS". It should be clear and understood from the start.

We have had a few members leave because the moderating staff closed threads. These members were often problematic to begin with.

We have had many members leave the site because it was full of flames and BS. Many of these same members were very active in the technical sections that this board is famous for, and posted great information on a regular basis, and added to the overall knowledge of the board.

yes it is sad...because i know a big flame fest started over some pit bulls a while back...and i dont want it on my thread if people simply dont like what ive posted...move on and dont reply...i cant count on my fingers and toes the good threads ruined because of stupid immature posts

sampleez
09-19-2005, 10:19 AM
that thread a while back was exactly what i thought about when you posted that...........i was like "here we go again....pit bull flame fest round two" :p too bad that is what almost every thread is turning into lately :ermm:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/images/smilies/DontFeedTrolls2.gif http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/images/smilies/notrolls2.gif

TCracin440ex
09-19-2005, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by sampleez
that thread a while back was exactly what i thought about when you posted that...........i was like "here we go again....pit bull flame fest round two" :p too bad that is what almost every thread is turning into lately :ermm:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/images/smilies/DontFeedTrolls2.gif http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/images/smilies/notrolls2.gif

nope not gonna happen because if it turns into a flame fest i will delete my own thread...i just wanted to share pics of my pup...so if anybody dont like it....dont post on my thread

TCracin440ex
09-19-2005, 11:58 AM
i dont think my thread will turn into a flame fest :::crosses fingers::: because mr dierwolf is gone and he was the 1 that started the flame fest on the previous thread

Pappy
09-19-2005, 12:03 PM
please use the report thread feature!

alot of times, by the time we find a thread its so trashed we dont have the free time to edit the BS. if its reported we can go right to a problem and its much easier to salvage a thread.

we are taking heat from a very very small handful of open forum dwellers that contribute little if anything to teh rest of this site. we will not hesitate to ban thier user name and or thier ip address especially if the open forum is where they like to be.

and keep this in mind, we would prefer to have 40 members that post intelligence then 4000 that post ignorance.

pappy over and out!

TCracin440ex
09-19-2005, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
please use the report thread feature!

alot of times, by the time we find a thread its so trashed we dont have the free time to edit the BS. if its reported we can go right to a problem and its much easier to salvage a thread.

we are taking heat from a very very small handful of open forum dwellers that contribute little if anything to teh rest of this site. we will not hesitate to ban thier user name and or thier ip address especially if the open forum is where they like to be.

and keep this in mind, we would prefer to have 40 members that post intelligence then 4000 that post ignorance.

pappy over and out!

ROGER DODGER!!

wilkin250r
09-19-2005, 12:45 PM

Amen.

On that topic, did anybody actually LOOK at the threads we "closed down"? Look at the last po-po thread that caused so much outcry. That thread was complete garbage, it was idiotic. If it was headed anywhere, it was straight down the crapper.

bulkdriverlp
09-19-2005, 01:01 PM

this place is truning into Bluetraxx QUICKLY. thats what ive been thinking for 4months now.....agreed

wilkin250r
09-19-2005, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by bulkdriverlp
thats what ive been thinking for 4months now.....agreed

If you don't like it, there is a door, it is that way------>

Don't let it hit ya on the way out.

MOFO
09-19-2005, 02:55 PM

Thats right... all we do is sit back and delete threads... :rolleyes:

TheFontMaster
09-19-2005, 03:23 PM
If you don't like it, there is a door, it is that way------>

Don't let it hit ya on the way out.

Really? Because it's <----- that way on my computer:huh :o

wvspeedfreak
09-19-2005, 03:35 PM
i dont think my thread will turn into a flame fest :::crosses fingers::: because mr dierwolf is gone and he was the 1 that started the flame fest on the previous thread

I was beginning to think you were referring to my comment on your thread.It was just a little sarcastic humor.Sorry if it got you upset.I have never been a flamer and don't intend to be one.:ermm:

Jake250ex
09-19-2005, 04:02 PM
Thats right... all we do is sit back and delete threads...

pretty much.

And nacsracer, for christs sake I mispelled one damn word... WTF? :huh

TCracin440ex
09-19-2005, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by wvspeedfreak
I was beginning to think you were referring to my comment on your thread.It was just a little sarcastic humor.Sorry if it got you upset.I have never been a flamer and don't intend to be one.:ermm:

no no no not refering to you bro...i was refering to anybody who had something idiotic or didnt like what i had to share....i got a sence of humor...so i knew you where just clowning....

fast_enough
09-19-2005, 04:38 PM
Well "mispelled" is spelt"misspelled" im just messing w/ you. I think the mods are doing a good job, you have to think about the number of posts a day on this site. If anybody gets sick of all the trash people post on here, its gonna be them. They have every right to delete any of that,thats why they are the "Moderators"
But any ways all^^^^, is just my opinion, you can trash it how you want, i wont even bother reading it

TCracin440ex
09-19-2005, 04:42 PM
pretty much.

And nacsracer, for christs sake I mispelled one damn word... WTF? :huh

wow this thread is going to get locked soon too....dude calm down loose the attitude....its not needed or wanted

wilkin250r
09-19-2005, 05:12 PM
See, here is a perfect example. We have a nice discussion going on, a perfectly reasonable thread, but it's got a few problem posts.

Now, if we let the thread get out of hand, we know we will drive away many useful members that don't want to wade through a bunch of BS just to contribute to the conversation. Eventually, these good members will leave, but we keep the troublemakers that like to post flames.

OR, if we delete the offending posts, we get the troublemakers mad, and they leave, but we get to keep the good members that now don't have to wade through BS to make a useful post.

Hmm, decisions. Which course of action would be best for the overall site?

TCracin440ex
09-19-2005, 05:15 PM
AGREED!!!!

im not tryin to come off as a pecker or anything....but some of these kids on these forums really need an attitude adjustment...if somebody is really willing to lash out like that OVER THE COMPUTER...i wonder what they are like in real life

brian-250
09-19-2005, 05:15 PM
See, here is a perfect example. We have a nice discussion going on, a perfectly reasonable thread, but it's got a few problem posts.

Now, if we let the thread get out of hand, we know we will drive away many useful members that don't want to wade through a bunch of BS just to contribute to the conversation. Eventually, these good members will leave, but we keep the troublemakers that like to post flames.

OR, if we delete the offending posts, we get the troublemakers mad, and they leave, but we get to keep the good members that now don't have to wade through BS to make a useful post.

Hmm, decisions. Which course of action would be best for the overall site?

Delete the offending posts.;)

brian-250
09-19-2005, 05:17 PM
AGREED!!!!

im not tryin to come off as a pecker or anything....but some of these kids on these forums really need an attitude adjustment...if somebody is really willing to lash out like that OVER THE COMPUTER...i wonder what they are like in real life

May sound tough over the computer, but could really be a sissy in real life.

TCracin440ex
09-19-2005, 05:19 PM
well i really am tired of sifting thru bs to find a good post....god i wish i were a mod because i have ample free time on my hands to clean up threads instead of locking them....and the threads that were just too far gone would get canned

brian-250
09-19-2005, 05:24 PM
well i really am tired of sifting thru bs to find a good post....god i wish i were a mod because i have ample free time on my hands to clean up threads instead of locking them....and the threads that were just too far gone would get canned

same here, but i guess you have to be 21 to be a mod.:ermm:

TCracin440ex
09-19-2005, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by brian-250

no you just have to be mature...and show that you can handle it...and i would guess you have to have a high tolerance for IDIOTS!!!!

TheFontMaster
09-19-2005, 05:30 PM

I didn't know that, I'm 17 and I moderate the Quad of the Month section, I gues I got a few more years untill I can start banning people.:(

brian-250
09-19-2005, 05:33 PM
I didn't know that, I'm 17 and I moderate the Quad of the Month section, I gues I got a few more years untill I can start banning people.:(

Yea, 21 is what harlen told me the other day in a PM.:(

Warnerade
09-19-2005, 05:53 PM
pretty much.

And nacsracer, for christs sake I mispelled one damn word... WTF? :huh chill...just a little senseless humor to lighten the mood of the thread.

Pappy
09-19-2005, 05:57 PM
what was this thread about again:ermm: oh yeah my announcement....

"Pappy had the part of his brain that gives a ratts *** about post whores and flamers removed. he is recovering nicely. As a freebee, they enhanced the portion of his brain that operates the ban button."

:rolleyes:

Jake250ex
09-19-2005, 06:13 PM
chill...just a little senseless humor to lighten the mood of the thread.

oh sorry I thought you were serious. I need to update my humor detector. :)

Pappy
09-19-2005, 06:15 PM

i will pm you the number of my doctor, he did great work:devil:

TCracin440ex
09-19-2005, 06:17 PM

dude i think if you or anybody take any of his posts seriously....you need a brain transplant or have your head examined

Warnerade
09-19-2005, 06:29 PM
dude i think if you or anybody take any of his posts seriously....you need a brain transplant or have your head examined honestly..its been what, a solid 4 months since i've been showing my sence of humor?

TCracin440ex
09-19-2005, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by NacsRacer027
honestly..its been what, a solid 4 months since i've been showing my sence of humor?

you get my point....

Warnerade
09-19-2005, 06:40 PM
you get my point.... yes i do. My post was saying that...i was actualy being serious for a change...

bansheeguy77
09-19-2005, 06:43 PM
i will keep my thoughts to myself on whom i feel are the trouble makers...instead i usually sit back, read alot and post very little lately. im not on here nearly as much as previously simply because of this topic. we cant have a normal discussion without somebody coming out saying "your gay" then the 13 year old getting offended and cussin then 10 others jump in and talk bout that crap. my vote is (even tho this is a dictatorship :p ) is to go nazi style and ban all trouble makers....make a post and make it a sticky....post the rules and what you will be banned for. have all mods work on it and compile it. enforce it on every member. that will get rid of the immature idiotic crap QUICK. and pap's i agree with you...one useful topic and or post are worth so much more than the crap that 75% of members only know about.....oh well i will quit with my 10 cents.....

Pappy
09-19-2005, 06:51 PM
it was funny, today i had to search for some info on other sites. some atv related, some not, and within seconds i was reading the same bs over and over and picking up the info inbetween.

as long as it doesnt spill over into the tech forums im all for being cool, but it is a two way street. if i see someone doing something just to get us miffed, you can bet i or shall i say we will react. we have given 2 weeks notice, the bad offenders are history, the secondary line of idoicy is drawn. now who wants to cross it:confused:

there is absolutley no reason we all cant have fun and bs in the open forum, but truthfully, some of the stuff thats been posted the past few months is just plain stupid. tighten up.

brian-250
09-19-2005, 06:59 PM

there is absolutley no reason we all cant have fun and bs in the open forum, but truthfully, some of the stuff thats been posted the past few months is just plain stupid. tighten up.

You got that right Kenny, some of the threads ive seen are just plain stupid, i really think its time to stop all the BS and dumb threads. :o

wvspeedfreak
09-19-2005, 07:00 PM
I have been on quite a few different forums over the years(atv and non atv sites).It seems to be the same everywhere.However,the one difference I see here is some people are actually trying to do something about it.Without the mods and members making an effort to keep things in line,the site will self destruct.It only takes a little thought before you post to keep things in check.:cool:

Pappy
09-19-2005, 07:01 PM
You got that right Kenny, some of the threads ive seen are just plain stupid, i really think its time to stop all the BS and dumb threads. :o

should i search your threads:blah:

rmz250
09-19-2005, 07:03 PM
shut down the open forum for ahwhile. show these people what they got.

TheFontMaster
09-19-2005, 07:04 PM

For once I agree with you. I have been spending less time in the open forum, and more time in the tech, and 250r forums. There has been a serious downfall in good threads in the open forum lately. I'm looking through them all, and there are only about 4 or so on the first page worth looking at.

JOEX
09-19-2005, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by rmz250
That idea has crossed my mind:ermm:

Pappy
09-19-2005, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by rmz250

thats an option, but the problems would soon spill into teh tech sections. we may not be the most tech knowledgable site on the net (never claimed to be) but some people need answers and noone wants to see it screwed up by morons.

i usually dont lock up my chickens because there is a fox lurking around, i usually kill the fox:scary:

Warnerade
09-19-2005, 07:08 PM
For once I agree with you. I have been spending less time in the open forum, and more time in the tech, and 250r forums. There has been a serious downfall in good threads in the open forum lately. I'm looking through them all, and there are only about 4 or so on the first page worth looking at. i dont see a problem with a lot of the threads on the first page...atv insurance, asking about rides, paintball question...

i may not have interest in them....but i wouldnt consider them "not worthy"

brian-250
09-19-2005, 07:08 PM
should i search your threads:blah:

No you shouldent! i can dig up some pics of you if it comes to that for that matter.;)

Shutting the open fourm down for a day? that might not be a half bad idea, take the littlel flamers toys away for a day.:o

Warnerade
09-19-2005, 07:11 PM
No you shouldent! i can dig up some pics of you if it comes to that for that matter.;)

Shutting the open fourm down for a day? that might not be a half bad idea, take the littlel flamers toys away for a day.:o they would either flood the other forums or be back posting the next day twice as much complaining about it being shut down for a day.

brian-250
09-19-2005, 07:20 PM
they would either flood the other forums or be back posting the next day twice as much complaining about it being shut down for a day.

Now that i get to thinking about that your right.

I have noiticed that theres alot of views but only a certain "crowd" posting in this thread, we are all patrons, mods, or respecable members, no 12 y/o flamers.

bansheeguy77
09-19-2005, 07:20 PM

:chinese:

brian-250
09-19-2005, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by bansheeguy77

LMFAO!

That one was the first pic on my list, i was just getting ready to search for it.

harescrambles
09-19-2005, 07:26 PM
I recently got in a little trouble with one of the mods and threaten to be band:ermm: .
I replied to one of the treads in the open forum .I misread the question and replied with a wrong answer but before i could explained some kid started in on me. Since I'm not accustom to being spoke to like that. (I called him a (D head) which i thought was fare.(dang kids)
..Well i deleted my post and moved on..I never even read the open forum before .And It was my first post there. Im not a trouble maker ill just keep away from the ones that are and post accordingly.

I feel better now just getting that off my chest:D

zeppelin
09-19-2005, 07:28 PM
LMFAO!

That one was the first pic on my list, i was just getting ready to search for it.

is that really pappy :eek2: lmao

TWISTED
09-19-2005, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by bansheeguy77

MAN that big kid in the front sure can cook HINT HINT!!!

Pappy
09-19-2005, 07:30 PM
thats real nice using a family pic to poke fun at me:o if i had feelings you might have hurt them:D

JOEX
09-19-2005, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by zeppelin
is that really pappy :eek2: lmao
Which one?:eek:

Pappy
09-19-2005, 07:34 PM
im not looking happy in that picture and it aint for the effect....

cody and ryan had a great day, right up to the point where they decided they hated each other:grr: my wife was dying for one of them damn old time pics so in we went, 2 bickering kids in toe.

i settled it with a few stern looks, and when the guy asked which side the boys wanted to be on (north/south etc) i piped up and said 1 of each, they fight like the civil war so they might as well be that way in the picture..LMAO!

for years now, they both still ask why i did that, i geuss one day they will grow up enough to figure it out:p

TheFontMaster
09-19-2005, 07:35 PM
i dont see a problem with a lot of the threads on the first page...atv insurance, asking about rides, paintball question...

i may not have interest in them....but i wouldnt consider them "not worthy"

Yea I worded that wrong, mabey I should have said there isn't as much that intrests me anymore. There just used to be atleast 3 or 4 really good threads a week, that you would follow for a couple days, and where there would be alot of joking around and b/s'ing, like the bannana boy threads that have been bumped up, or the hot chicks thread. And if you want some good ones search up some old brian-250 threads, those were clasic.

JOEX
09-19-2005, 07:49 PM
im not looking happy in that picture and it aint for the effect....

cody and ryan had a great day, right up to the point where they decided they hated each other:grr: my wife was dying for one of them damn old time pics so in we went, 2 bickering kids in toe.

i settled it with a few stern looks, and when the guy asked which side the boys wanted to be on (north/south etc) i piped up and said 1 of each, they fight like the civil war so they might as well be that way in the picture..LMAO!

for years now, they both still ask why i did that, i geuss one day they will grow up enough to figure it out:p
lol! that's a good story:)

brian-250
09-19-2005, 07:55 PM
And if you want some good ones search up some old brian-250 threads, those were clasic.

Yea yea, there funny if you read through them, but no bumping or i will delete. :devil:

zeppelin
09-19-2005, 08:05 PM
i searched for awhile and i havent found one of these "classics", could yall post a link, or the name of one of these threads at least

Warnerade
09-19-2005, 08:15 PM
they are wayyyyy back......

TheFontMaster
09-19-2005, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by zeppelin
i searched for awhile and i havent found one of these "classics", could yall post a link, or the name of one of these threads at least

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32510

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=115490

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117486

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/attachment.php?s=&postid=1163716 Boy how things have changed.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=121329

WOW when I have more time I really need to go back and read some of those old threads all the way through. That is just a few of them, there are tons more.:devil:

bansheeguy77
09-20-2005, 05:03 AM
thats real nice using a family pic to poke fun at me:o if i had feelings you might have hurt them:D

you know its all in good fun :p

wilkin250r
09-20-2005, 09:11 AM
when the guy asked which side the boys wanted to be on (north/south etc) i piped up and said 1 of each, they fight like the civil war so they might as well be that way in the picture..LMAO!

I guess it wouldn't have been historically accurate for you to be wearing a referee outfit in the picture, but it certainly would have fit the mood... :blah:

Rico
09-20-2005, 01:42 PM
Now that i get to thinking about that your right.

I have noiticed that theres alot of views but only a certain "crowd" posting in this thread, we are all patrons, mods, or respecable members, no 12 y/o flamers.

Can someone feed me, I"m hungry....

:blah: :devil: :blah:

zeppelin
09-20-2005, 05:20 PM
any one wanna pm me some of the pics that were removed from the best smiley thread if you still have them :devil:

brian-250
09-20-2005, 07:23 PM

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=121329

LMFAO that is the greatest thread one EXriders, ever. anyone object?

Rico, call me stupid but i do not get your post?:o

Warnerade
09-20-2005, 07:33 PM
brian...i agree because i cant remember any other good ones?

JDiablo
09-20-2005, 07:38 PM
Or tommy remeber the other time your mom caught you :eek2:

brian-250
09-20-2005, 07:40 PM
brian...i agree because i cant remember any other good ones?

theres ome old hatfieled threads and such but pappy can dig those up.:o

Warnerade
09-20-2005, 07:48 PM
theres ome old hatfieled threads and such but pappy can dig those up.:o never got involved with those:o

Cody_300ex
09-20-2005, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by 300exrida
Or tommy remeber the other time your mom caught you :eek2:

No wasnt it like his g/f's dad or something. lmao remeber annie?? Good times, good times..........