PDA

View Full Version : clutch consequences?

blake_mx_racer
09-18-2005, 07:34 PM
What is the consequences of not usin the clutch while up shifting on straights on the mx track. I happen to do it alot because to me it seems alot easier. What are the consequences of doin this over time?

honda350r
09-18-2005, 07:59 PM
won't hurt a thing ..

kazpr
09-18-2005, 09:01 PM
How about while drag racing?? I was watching and seems the fast guys were not clutching the bikes.

honda350r
09-18-2005, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by kazpr
How about while drag racing?? I was watching and seems the fast guys were not clutching the bikes.

Most drag quads have a mod done to their transmission that alowes them to up shift without letting off the throttle or using the clutch.. This mod would make a normal quad worthless for everyday riding..

redlined94
09-19-2005, 12:41 PM
Look into the Rekluse auto clutch. It allows you to shift without use of the clutch at high rpm's without harming the motor one bit. The clutch is also there for use if you want it though so I think it would be a great set up for what you are talkin about!

dunebuggie66
09-19-2005, 12:46 PM
why would he want to spend money on the rekluse when what he is doing now wont hurt a thing????

redlined94
09-19-2005, 12:51 PM
Its just an opinion dude calm down. I just know that the Rekluse is a good set up and I like feeling all warm inside knowing that nothing can go wrong for sure when you actually have a set up for not using the clutch instead of just revving it and jammin it into gear.

btw. I like your name blake_mx_racer
my name is Blake as well lol

bwamos
09-19-2005, 01:06 PM
Ahh but if you think about it.. it's doing the same thing.

The centrifugal clutch is still engaged until your engine idles down to like 50% rpm. So unless you let off the gas and coast for like 5 seconds before shifting,, it's shifting the same way as if you had a manual clutch and didn't use it. With the rekluse you'd still have to use the clutch lever to disengage the clutch while shifting. Think about how their clutch system works, it becomes apparent you're not really gaining anything on that front. ;)

redlined94
09-19-2005, 01:32 PM
Good point man. I like someone explaining it to me instead of just bein an Arse like dunebuggie. Thats how people learn by trial and error and others knowledge. Thanks for the heads up!! I guess i wont feel as bad now when i forget to use the clutch lol.

Flynbryan19
09-19-2005, 01:58 PM
Actually you are doing damage unless your timing it just right. Shifting without the clutch will cause wear to the dog ears(shift forks) in your tranny. The only way it (in theory) would not hurt anything is if you do it at the perfect point at which there is no load on the transmission by choping the throttle.

Your more than welcome to do it, but over time YES it will harm your tranny. The 1/2 second I save from not clutching is not worth it to me. I pull the clutch everytime.

Ridin' Jesse
09-19-2005, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Flynbryan19
Actually you are doing damage unless your timing it just right. Shifting without the clutch will cause wear to the dog ears(shift forks) in your tranny. The only way it (in theory) would not hurt anything is if you do it at the perfect point at which there is no load on the transmission by choping the throttle.

Your more than welcome to do it, but over time YES it will harm your tranny. The 1/2 second I save from not clutching is not worth it to me. I pull the clutch everytime.

That makes alot of sense..but i understand why he wouldnt use the clutch all the time on the track..sometimes i hit bumpy parts where i cant used the clutch and i just shift w/o it but i also try to use it as often as possible.