PDA

View Full Version : Cuts Out and Dies When I Give it Gas, HELP!

Fast250EX
09-18-2005, 03:25 PM
Well, I was ridin my 250EX yesterday (yeah, i know, wimpy wimpy, I dont wanna hear it) and it was running pretty good but I landed from a jump and it immediately started to cut out. It will idle all day, but it idles a bit high like it sometimes will do right before it runs out of gas (I have a half tank right now). When I give it gas, it might be able to do one rev and come back down, but if i try to hold it, it will cut out and die.

So, I said screw it, and gave up on it for the day. Went to ride it this morning and it was fine, then rode it out the field for like two minutes, and it starts doing it again, so I take it from reserve to on and give it a little rest and it is fine again. Then I hit the jump again, and when it lands it does the same thing, and it is still like that.

Anyone know the problem, here?

09-18-2005, 05:38 PM
is the choke on?

2004exrider
09-18-2005, 07:33 PM
check to see that the overflow tube and clogged or crushed? or see if your main jet didnt fall out to. thats all i can think of.

Jimmy

300ex mxracer
09-19-2005, 07:42 AM
mine did that i think it was the carb wasnt all the way onto the engine.not for sure cause i overshot the downhill on an uphill jump and flat-landed and my carb came al the way off the engine. jus check and mak sure that the carb is all the way onto the engine and air boot.

Fast250EX
09-19-2005, 02:12 PM
I checked the handlebar mounted choke knob and it wasnt on, but I also checked the choke lever on the carb, in case the cable was pulling it wrong or something. It was where it should be, but while letting the engine idle, I played with the lever a while to see what i could come up with. I ended up wiggling it around a bit and set back to its normal positon, and everything is working fine now. Hit the same jump a good 8 times now and still no problems.

I am not completely satisfied though, because I dont know why doing what I did fixed my problem, but it seems to be working so far.:ermm: