PDA

View Full Version : trx400ex starting problem fixed

jaspurx
09-18-2005, 03:01 PM
O.K. here`s the situation:

I pulled my quad out of the garage , started it and loaded it up.
When I got to the track , it would not start withe the e-starter. We could push it and catch it in gear to start it , but the button would not work , and the lights were not working either.

After the races , I started tearing her down to go through the wiring harness.

Problem found/solved.

The problem was the factory wiring harness. The ignition switch has a wiring crimp post on it , which is used to hold the switch`s wires in place. The crimp post was crimped into a hot wire, and over time ,vibration made the crimp wear through the insulation on the wire and grounded out the switch out. Therefore the starter switch and the light switch were unable to function.

I simply pulled the wiring harness and crimp apart , and I used a brush on electrical tape from advanced auto parts. It dries in minutes , and keeps the vire from getting corrosion or moisture into it. Just for security sake , I then put normal electrical tape on it , and then crimped the wires back to the factory placement , careful not to do the same as the factory did in the first place.

Nobody has asked about this particular problem as far as I know of , but for future reference , I posted the info. for the sites users.

I hope this helps someone one of these days , if they are unlucky enough to have the same problem.

JOEX
09-18-2005, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the info!:)

jaspurx
09-19-2005, 03:27 PM
C`mon , really , if we do not help eachother out who can we rely on for help...............the dealerships or local shops?............

I just like to share my findings , and help others out when I can!

Imagine how people I can make happier WHEN I win a big lottery jackpot:eek2:

Keep the rubber side down!

fasterthanyouex
09-19-2005, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by jaspurx
C`mon , really , if we do not help eachother out who can we rely on for help...............the dealerships or local shops?............

i dont think he meant to offend you....:confused:

Abrannan19
12-10-2005, 03:46 PM
when it wouldnt start...did it just tick or do nothing at all?? my is ticking and will not start w/o a battery charger of push started.. any suggestion?

jaspurx
12-15-2005, 05:16 PM
Mine did that 2 weeks ago. Get a new battery........plain and simple. The battery charger deal was a dead give away. I can guess , it will start if you coast it and drop it in gear , and will only start with e-start when you have the battery charger on it. Do not let somebody talk you into buying $100 selinoid , just putr in a new battery. Should run you into the $50 range. I went with a yuasa , same as stock. Mine is a 1999 model , and any battery that will put up with 6 years of me is good enough for me!

But , no , the original problem I had for this post was nothing like that. No noise or anything. There was no change at all when I hit the starter button.

But , definately go with a battery. Fixed my ride right up!

bansheemorphine
12-15-2005, 06:06 PM
i had a similar problem my lights would come on but the e starter would do anything when i pressed the button so i went to the sylinode in the back by the battery i took the wire off that went from the starter to the sylinode and touches it onto the live side of the battery and boom it started right up soo now is all i do when i want to start my quad is jump off and touch the wire onto the battery ;) works awsome............................................ .................................................. ......................hahahaha no i am just kidding is all tht did is tell me my starter wasn't pouched so then there was 2 wires that plugged into the sylinoid i crimped those on tigher with a pair of plyers because they were very loose and then it started by pressing the button this time lol ha