PDA

View Full Version : help with small engine

nosliw
09-18-2005, 11:40 AM
alright so me and my buds have a gokart in the making. we bought a frame that we are getting ready to cut and weld back together so we can fit in it good and also regreasing all the pivot points, ect.

it came with a 5hp briggs and stratton engine on it that we will put back in just for fun until the real engine is done being rebuilt (late 80's yamaha 250 2stroke)

it's my job to rebuild this old flathead. the guy told us that is was running good until he had it apart (to replace the throttle return spring) and lost interest and didnt put it back together. it sat outside for about 6 months under a tarp, but still required quite a bit of cleaning and degreaser.

my question,
i'm trying to wire this thing up and the magneto seems to be in great shape, but there are these two wires coming from it- one has no end and the other has an 'eye' on the end. they (my friends) think it has to do with an on-and-off switch the lawnmower had on it before and we don't need it.

any of you guys have experience with these small flatheads? can i just splice the no-ended wire to the one with the 'eye' end, then bolt that to a ground on the engine?

thanks

tater_kamik
09-18-2005, 11:44 AM
worst comes to worse, try running it without doing anything, if it doesnt work, do what you said and it should work! its not lke it will hurt it

nosliw
09-18-2005, 11:47 AM
alright, just as long as they arent some important part of the magneto. this is the first one i've ran across that has these two wires so i figured it was an on/off switch. thanks

TheX1992
09-18-2005, 11:55 AM
Can you tell us what color the wires are? If one has an 'eye' at the end, it leads me to believe that it is some type of ground that you put on a bolt on the frame. The other one might be a power or relay or something. Guess and check.

400exrider33
09-18-2005, 11:56 AM
i would sya try running it an if it does not start it would either be the ground or it may have had an elactric start hooked to it while it was on the lawnmower. it may have something to do with it

nosliw
09-18-2005, 02:23 PM
ok started it up without doing anything. im guessing they arent important. runs fine except it wont run without spray fuel in their manually.... damn carbs :mad:

tater_kamik
09-18-2005, 03:05 PM
gotta love some carbs that have been sittin!!