PDA

View Full Version : broken side case again..

desratt
09-18-2005, 10:12 AM
I need serious help this is the third side casing I have broke.
this one only had one day of riding on it.?

does anyone have any serious help or experience here.?

09-18-2005, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by desratt
I need serious help this is the third side casing I have broke.
this one only had one day of riding on it.?

does anyone have any serious help or experience here.?

how does it happen and what year is it

desratt
09-18-2005, 10:27 AM
it is an 04 and it happens on kickback

450robot
09-18-2005, 11:38 AM
obviously you do not know how to properly use the bike, you shouldnt own it if you cant even start it without blowing off the side off your motor!

try not giving gas when you start, that is the only thing i can tell ya, other than that, i dont know what could be wrong

desratt
09-18-2005, 11:49 AM
what the #### are you talking about Ihave been riding since I was about 7 I race in the pro class and your going to tell me I don't know how to ride?

for those normal people that inquire.
I have found in other boards that with a high rise cam and stiffer valve springs when kicking if you don't git the valves over the lobe the springs will push it backwards.
but there are tons of other people running that set up and never had a problem.

yes I get it just past compression then kick it.( not at compression like a 2 stroke but it isn't always in the perfect spot.
and no I don't give it gas.

yesterday It happened at a dead engine start for a grand prix

honda350r
09-18-2005, 01:25 PM
I live in St.George Utah and I can help you fix it if you bring it up..

desratt
09-18-2005, 02:00 PM
I can fix it I have a couple times already.
I live over from st george. as a matter a fact I have a deposit on the first black kickstart 2006. at stephen wade.

glad to see locals on here.

have you had or seen this happen before???

kazpr
09-18-2005, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by 450robot
obviously you do not know how to properly use the bike, you shouldnt own it if you cant even start it without blowing off the side off your motor!

try not giving gas when you start, that is the only thing i can tell ya, other than that, i dont know what could be wrong
Wow you are nice :)

My friend actually has a 480esr and the
case cracked on it this weekend. He gave it no gas but it did kick back on him and split :(

chad502ex
09-18-2005, 04:44 PM
kick back on start up is from extreme lean condition.

400ex's use to waste sprag clutches on the electric start when engine was extreme lean.

honda350r
09-18-2005, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by desratt
I can fix it I have a couple times already.
I live over from st george. as a matter a fact I have a deposit on the first black kickstart 2006. at stephen wade.

glad to see locals on here.

have you had or seen this happen before???

Cool, when you get the 06 make sure you drive it by the shop.. Just ask any of the guys at Powesports where Jim's shop is at..

Yes I have had it happen before and it is just an adjustment on the carb and the valve decompressor I can have that thing working like a charm and you will never have to worry about kickback again..

desratt
09-18-2005, 05:16 PM
so what are the simple mods??

come to think of it I don't think it did it when I was running rich.

?decompressor?

where is your shop? what kind of shop?

TM426
09-18-2005, 05:21 PM
I just replaced my case and took it out today. My case didnt crack again(knock on wood). I just bought the quad without the manual and with a cracked case.:rolleyes: I know not to pump the throtle when starting. But to get mine to fire when cold I have to pump it a couple of times and then kick (off throtle) for it to start. Is it bad to do that? Whats the proper way? Please dont rip and flame over a question. I dont have the manual to look up and I dont want to spend a couple hundred again on a case. Sorry I dont mean to Hi-jack your thread.

honda350r
09-18-2005, 05:27 PM
desratt

You have a PM

desratt
09-18-2005, 06:52 PM
you aren't high jacking

lets get any info on this out in the open.

extreme lean ..? in what area?
2 cases were on stock carb with fmf/dynojet jet kit

one case was on edelbrock carb

TM426
09-18-2005, 06:59 PM
I dont think mine is lean. The plug looked good and I dont get popping on deceleration. My case cracked right behind the kick shaft, right above the tab for the bolt on the backside of case about 2" long and very hard to see.

P.s. I did notice that the new case had an extra piece welded from the ring that holds the needle bearings to the outside. The old one had 2 this has 3.

DRT
09-18-2005, 07:13 PM
I read this thread and ask myself whats going to happen when you have an E-start?

09-18-2005, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by DRT
I read this thread and ask myself whats going to happen when you have an E-start?
You won't have that problem with E-start. The starter can turn the engine fast enough to where there is no kick back.

Cdaleracer
09-18-2005, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by TM426
I just replaced my case and took it out today. My case didnt crack again(knock on wood). I just bought the quad without the manual and with a cracked case.:rolleyes: I know not to pump the throtle when starting. But to get mine to fire when cold I have to pump it a couple of times and then kick (off throtle) for it to start. Is it bad to do that? Whats the proper way? Please dont rip and flame over a question. I dont have the manual to look up and I dont want to spend a couple hundred again on a case. Sorry I dont mean to Hi-jack your thread.

I was told to do the same thing. Pump the throttle a few times, let go then kick start it. Is this wrong? I don't have or knock on wood, haven't broken a case yet, but sounds like I really don't want that happening.

ZRider400
09-18-2005, 09:04 PM

i agree...

common sense... dont give it gas and u'll be fine...

honda350r
09-18-2005, 09:45 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by ZRider400
i agree...

common sense... dont give it gas and u'll be fine...

Both of you guys need a big cup of S.T.F.U. !!

desratt
09-19-2005, 07:31 AM
I just find it hard that honda would release a bike that if you give it gas it would do that.

I bet there are a million people out there that give I gas when they start it.

and I tell myself not to give it gas so I don't think I did but I may have.

09-19-2005, 09:49 AM
jus so everyone knows, the 2005 side cases are beefed up, the 2004 cases are a lot weaker, you may want to try some 2005 side cases instead of the 2004 ones, im not sure if they are the same but im betting they are

kazpr
09-19-2005, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by XxHonda_RacerxX
jus so everyone knows, the 2005 side cases are beefed up, the 2004 cases are a lot weaker, you may want to try some 2005 side cases instead of the 2004 ones, im not sure if they are the same but im betting they are

The 04 and the 05 are the exact same part #'s so does not seem they are different.

11330-HP1-670

I am wonder though if the 06 is beefed up. Anyone know where to get a 06 fiche online yet??

bwamos
09-19-2005, 01:14 PM
I think the 06 cases are different, being they changed the location of the crank shaft.

bobbo97f150
09-19-2005, 03:22 PM
What ignition set up are you running?

desratt
09-19-2005, 05:54 PM
I have had this happen on a stock ignition module a dyna and a vortex

bobbo97f150
09-19-2005, 05:58 PM
Hmmm... My Dyna has been causing mine to kick back pretty hard. I thought maybe it was the 13:1 piston or stiffer valve springs because I did all the mods around the same time. I put the stock box on it today and it kicked over really easy. I read somewhere that Dyna would reprogram the box so it would have stock timing advance during startup.

pinky93
09-19-2005, 09:11 PM
You guys are scaring the crap out of me!!! I've had the R for 3 days and it has kicked back a couple of times while I was learning her starting temperment...but nothing since. I didn't get a manual with mine either, but have had many bikes with kick start.....including some Harleys that would break your leg.....hahaha

swampfoxsc
09-19-2005, 10:36 PM
Just because the part numbers are the same for the 04 and 05 side cases doesn't mean that they are the same. Honda has often updated the design of parts but left the number the same. I've had this happen alot on my Honda 4X4s. Honda will update a cable or CV boot and leave the number the same but all older models will then get the updated part without a part number change. Make sense?

CdaleXtreme
09-20-2005, 09:26 AM
We are all going to have the stater kick back on us, that much is obvious. What we can all do to prevent cases from breaking when kicking is this. ( I got this from mark baldwin)

Instead of having your kicker at 12 O'clock and thrusting your whole body weight down through to 6 O'clock when trying to start your quad.

Give your kicker a complete kick through only using about 50% pressure, just run it trough the stroke to "prime" it. Then Return the kicker to about 2 O'clock and proced to kick. You dont need to put your whole weight into it. It will start, and if it doesnt start easily, you should be dialing your carb instead of riding anyhow!

You can also anticipate a kickback, by being ready to let your leg come back easily. Which cant be done if you have your whole body weight into it.

I have an 04 and have been racing a whole season with no problems whatsoever.

JH_Racing188
09-20-2005, 09:31 AM
its gonna kick back no matter what!!! just when is the ???? just what cdal said prime her up before to stomp on it...

i found the easiest way to satrt my 04 is pump the throttle twice and kick it...but i neve touch it wen i goin down with the kicker

its should fire and idle perfect.