PDA

View Full Version : MINI quad air intake/filter mod

Pappy
09-18-2005, 09:00 AM
Racing these mini's has sure taught a few of us thier many weaknesses. One important issue can be dealt with by anyone capable of making atrip to the hardware store.

A few of the mini companies market full on aftermarket relocated aluminim airboxes for the popular mini quads, and in true racing enviorments and heavy trail use where water is encountered these are the products required to prevent your MINI from drowning out. While expensive, they are worth it if you are serious about making sure water doesnt spoil your day.

Pictured is a Hetricks set up

Pappy
09-18-2005, 09:03 AM
Another view of the Hetrick unit.

Pappy
09-18-2005, 09:07 AM
While those are indeed top of the line, not all mini quad riders want to spend the coin on such a well engineered product. If you are just looking for a way to keep you young rider out of trouble while trial riding or even gain some performance by going with a cone style foam or K&N filter, the fix is pretty simple and fairly inexpensive.

Pappy
09-18-2005, 09:09 AM
You can use your imagination when it comes to the actual design, we simply chose to get the filter up and away from the front tire as much as possible. Depending on the size of carb you are running will dictate the size of tubing you will need to obtain.

Pappy
09-18-2005, 09:14 AM
I was surprised at how secure the unit actually was. I pulled on it and it did not come off and riding did not loosen it in any way. It will ofcourse need to be inspected before each ride to assure it is ready for the race etc. And also check to be sure when the wheel is turned to full lock that it wont contact the new air tube when turning with the suspension compressed.

We will still be doing a Hetrick unit for all out racing, but for a dry race this system will work fine. And the price is reasonable, around $15.

BOSOX5150
05-13-2014, 07:30 PM
I know this is old but finding info for people with current issues can be scarce so the more out there the better.

here is what I did