PDA

View Full Version : Damn Rings

hondajoe05
09-17-2005, 01:50 PM
well hmm i jus seam to be having horrible luck

my piston rings came off again but its only been rode like 10-15 mins tops since is their ne chance the cylinder isn't scored or messed up? cuz its aready been bored to a 407 and i dunno really want happened this time

possibly when i went to get it from my friends house he didn't let it warm up long enough before he took off on it and moved it up to the front so i could pick it up.......is their ne chance that is possible?

and i've tooken apart engines before but i dunno if i trust myself to be taking apart my 05 400 but i don't really have ne money so is it possible jus to rent a ring compresser and torque wrench and take head and cylinder off ...... and get it back to gather with not to much knowledge about engines im 80% or so sure i can do it but i need some other opuions

and i haven't really rode it to hard since i got it back form the last time i got it bored

RRP
09-17-2005, 05:17 PM
What do you mean by"came off"?Are you sure you have the proper piston and ring size for your bore?There is no way a ring can just pop off a piston without it being broken in the process.

hondajoe05
09-18-2005, 04:00 PM
umm ya their probably broke its teh right size piston and rings im pretty sure they've came off tho cuz when i rev my four-wheeler up it smokes like last time that i had to get it bored but i first thought it was jus water in the air box stuck my hand infornt of exhaust and reved it up and i got some oil on my hand a friend said it coulda been suit but im pretty sure the oil ring has came off again and oils coming threw the exhaust

hondajoe05
09-19-2005, 04:04 PM
ne one else??

RRP
09-19-2005, 05:32 PM
Sorry,Still trying to figure out how a 2005 400 needed new rings to begin with.Really should have nothing to do with not letting it warm up.I do that to my 2005 300ex all the time.I would suggest you take it to a repair shop and see what they say.

aviator4
09-19-2005, 07:34 PM
Sound strange that a ring, even broken could come out of its' groove if it's the right piston/sleeve combination. If it did come out, it would come out in tiny pieces.

It's also possible that the rings were not put in correctly. If all the spaces were lined up, it could cause a smoking issue.

I'm with RRP. I don't understand how an '05 would need rings. Sounds like a Friday bike to me.

hondajoe05
09-20-2005, 08:07 PM
its aready BORED is why i got rings piston values the whole deal last time

thats another story lol long one at that

Colby@C&DRacing
09-21-2005, 09:09 AM
a ring could have broken but they won't just come off the piston, unless you folded over an oil scraper rail when installing the piston in the cylinder but that would be difficult to do on a 400ex. I would take the cylinder off take it to a machinest and have them check the cylinderwall to piston skirt clearance.

hondajoe05
09-21-2005, 10:48 PM
ok another question my stock cylinder size is 397mm and it was bored 10 over so technally wouldn't that make it 407?? jus making sure cuz i gotta by the right rings and gasket

03blownupex
09-21-2005, 11:50 PM
i might be mistaken but .10 is a 402 but i may be wrong.

tater_kamik
09-22-2005, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by aviator4
Sound strange that a ring, even broken could come out of its' groove if it's the right piston/sleeve combination. If it did come out, it would come out in tiny pieces.

It's also possible that the rings were not put in correctly. If all the spaces were lined up, it could cause a smoking issue.

I'm with RRP. I don't understand how an '05 would need rings. Sounds like a Friday bike to me.

gotta agree here, if you lined up the rings so that where they split are in a row, and not spaced apart, you will get that problem. but it really sounds like you need a qualified engine guy to look at it and check the cylinder etc, see what they say

Colby@C&DRacing
09-22-2005, 07:57 AM
the cyclinder is 397cubic centimeters not milimeters when it is bored 10 over that means 10 thousandths. a 406 is 40 thousandths over, wiseco makes the smallest overbore at 20 thousandths which is a 402. I would take the cylinder and have it measured to make sure you have the correct piston and bore.

hondajoe05
09-24-2005, 06:05 PM
yes i figured out what the problem was i forgot the fact that i rooled it about 10 times and didn't stop to thik oil got threw into the head pipe

but today i had some of my dads friends look at it and luckyly i let it sit for two weeks and all the oil went back to the case and she's running fine

RRP
09-25-2005, 04:20 AM
that would do it.That piece of info would have helped answering your question a little easier.

tater_kamik
09-25-2005, 09:04 AM
and how do you forget you rolled it about 10 times?!?

hondajoe05
09-25-2005, 11:56 AM
it hit me in teh head and the ribss give me a break