PDA

View Full Version : stripped rossier can

Trx450always
09-16-2005, 10:05 PM
well I got some alumnium polish and went crazy. Polished bumper, right side case, grab bar, shifter, kicker, brake lever, and last of all my rossier exhaust. I took the end cap off to do it neatly, and all went well, MAN DOES IT LOOK SICK. I also polised the can, at first I thought i ruined it becuase it looked bad, but after polishing a frw more times I really love it, it shines, but not as much as chrome, just got the dull look off of it. Pics will be up later. but anyways, when I was putting the allen bolts back on I got to the 2nd to last one and I was tightning with the short end of the allen, and all of a sudden I felt it go.
I stripped it, and to make matters worse it was not the bolt, but in the soft alumnium can. What to do? any ideas. I was gonna glue it in there but I would like to be able to take it off once in a while. Any ideas give em to me. I will also post this in the Rossier forum to see what they think.

Also lets not turn this into a bashing thread, I think it was my fault this happend, but i will say I put no more than 5 ft/lbs of torque on there, this was the first time I had had the cap off, so it might have been bad from the factory.

Pappy
09-16-2005, 10:14 PM
maybe rivit it?

450robot
09-16-2005, 10:18 PM
judt get a allen bolt one size bigger, drill out the whole, and rethread it

or helicoil the bolt whole and use the same bolt

Trx450always
09-16-2005, 10:25 PM
where can I get a helicoil, and what is it? any other ideas. I think i will use some loctite for now.

Moto92
09-17-2005, 03:13 AM
I had three of the allen screws stripped from the time mine came out of the box...i wasnt too happy about that.
I messaged them on the 450R.org site and was told they would send me a new core free of charge but I have yet to get anything from them. Looks like its up to me to fix it myself.

TURBO-530R
09-17-2005, 05:15 AM
Call Joe direct I am sure he will take care of the problem.

5241 Harding Avenue . Plover, WI 54467 . (715) 341-9919 http://www.rossiereng.com/atv.html

tucson450r
09-17-2005, 07:14 AM
Any bolt supply store will have a heli-coil, I even think autozone and checker carry them. You will have to drill it slightly larger then put in the helicoil and it will be right back to the original size. This is the correct way that aluminum threads should be fixed. Any machine shop will probably fix it for you pretty cheap.

Pappy
09-17-2005, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by fearthisracer
I had three of the allen screws stripped from the time mine came out of the box...i wasnt too happy about that.
I messaged them on the 450R.org site and was told they would send me a new core free of charge but I have yet to get anything from them. Looks like its up to me to fix it myself.

let me know if i can help. rossier has done nothing but take care of us, but as posted, contacting them via phone is best for an issue like this. if you need the part warrantied, pm me and ill get one for you.

blake_mx_racer
09-17-2005, 09:03 AM
I did the same thing. Just take it out and put locktite on it and screw it back in as much as you can. Mine has been fine so far

Trx450always
09-17-2005, 09:10 AM
pappy, if the core can be replaced easily then that would be the best. I'll call rossier direct and see what happens, then I'll let u guys know. THe pipe has been nothing but great, easy fit and great performance. this problem shold be easily taken care of.

Trx450always
09-17-2005, 09:13 AM
ok, well I just called, and they arent open on the wekends. Anyways I'm heading to the sand sport super show. I'll call on monday and see what happens.

JRP
09-17-2005, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by 450robot
judt get a allen bolt one size bigger, drill out the whole, and rethread it

or helicoil the bolt whole and use the same bolt

thats what i was thinkin..