PDA

View Full Version : Armadillo skid plate

Gecko
09-21-2001, 10:38 AM
Hi gang,

I am planning to buy an Armadillo skid plate. For those of you who already have one, are you happy with it? Can it hold up to some serious abuse? I do a lot of trail riding and those rocks aren't too friendly...

Also, where did you find the best price?

Zingnut
09-21-2001, 10:52 AM
I purchased a Amadillo swing arm skid about three months ago when I got my 400ex. Our trails have rocks all over the place and I ride with mostly guys that have the older grizzlies and rubi's. I am constantly riding the safe lines and still end up hitting some large rocks and good speeds. Example I rode with my wife on the back and slammed a rock that lifted the tires of the ground and slid off till the tires made contact again. (prolly about 35mph) I was afraid to look thinking that it pushed the skid up on the chain or rotor. I looked back and you could not tell that it had taken a hit till I felt the underside of the skid and felt some small grooves that were not there at the beginning of the ride. I am very satisfied with the skid and would recommend it to anyone. The installation was simple. I have heard that Protec makes a stainless steel one that is said to be stronger but heavier yet I have not seen one yet. I also have a friend that has an baja swing arm skid and its trashed. Hope this helps.

MikeL250X
09-21-2001, 12:50 PM
I have an armadillo on my 250x and am also happy with it, I had to shim it to chear the sprocket and rotor, but that was beacuse my mounting brackts were bent in a little (it's a used 92) I just used one washer and it lined up perfectly, and has taken ALOT of abuse so far, it's nice that it has a chain slider too.

09-21-2001, 06:17 PM
THIS IS AN EXCELANT SKID FOR THE PRICE.
$65 IN www.rockymountainatv.com
MINE IS HOLDING UP BETTER THAN THE DG BAHA'S ON THE RAPTORS I RIDE WITH.
GET ONE!!!
LATER
MIKE:devil

Wheelie
09-21-2001, 10:54 PM
I got mine from East Coast ATV for $65, in my opinion its the next best to the Pro-Tect without the extra weight. You won't be disappointed.

jrb737
09-22-2001, 01:28 AM
I had the DG skid plate for a little over a month and had to beat it back into shape twice. I ordered the Pro-Tect skid plate and have been very happy with it. It is twice as expensive as any other plate, but if you ride alot of rocky trails it is well worth the extra cash. It is a little heavier, but if you are not worried about a little extra weight it is a good investment. Especially for anyone who mostly trail rides.

If you are more of a dirt track rider you may not need to spend the extra cash because I assume there are no big rocks to worry about hitting on the track.

Gecko
09-24-2001, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the input. You guys (and gals...) are the greatest!

One Armadillo skid plate is on the way!

:)

Nausty
09-24-2001, 11:37 AM
why wouldn't you just make one? My dad barrows stuff from work all the time a builds parts for the quad.

MikeL250X
09-24-2001, 11:51 AM
the welder than can weld aluminum is very expensive, I'd guess you could make a steel one yourself, but it's much easier to make one phone call and have it ready 3 days later.

Nausty
09-24-2001, 11:57 AM
yeah I guess thats why my dad ordered the nerfs and the bumber he doesn't have much time on weekends cuz he has work through the whole week.