PDA

View Full Version : low on oil?

hotrodbelair
09-16-2005, 06:08 PM
my buddy has a 400ex he changed the oil like a month ago and barely ever rides it when he drained the oil he didnt get all the oil out of it and he over filled it so he took some oil out. now when u check the oil when its cold theres none on the stick but then if u let it warm up i goes up half or 3/4 full is this normal or is it low on oil

ULTRAVIOLET70
09-17-2005, 08:24 AM
If you read the service or owners manual you can find the procedure for checking the oil level. And yes that is normal.

standardryder
09-17-2005, 03:23 PM
shouldnt it be the other way around? usually before you start it, it should be higher then after its warm. thats how it is on my 300ex, but a 400 is set up different, i may be wrong.

MAD400EX
09-17-2005, 07:15 PM
Run it for 5 mins on idling.

hotrodbelair
09-18-2005, 02:07 PM
aint got service manual im gettin one for mine though and we let it idle for like 1 minute and then check it this was wierd cause on mine before i wrecked it never did it but i always checked it when it was warm

ULTRAVIOLET70
09-19-2005, 01:04 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by standardryder
shouldnt it be the other way around? usually before you start it, it should be higher then after its warm. thats how it is on my 300ex, but a 400 is set up different, i may be wrong. [

No because a 400EX's oiling design differs from a 300EX. When the 400 sits without running oil in the tank will drain into the engine untio they're an even level. When its running the oil pump fills the oil tank and cooler leaving only a small amount in the bottom of the engine case otherwise the crankshaft would be submerged in oil creating dragg as well as churning and aerating the oil 300's have enough room in the case to hold the necessary oil that you don't need and oil tank, but still don't understand why they don't have oil coolers ( I mean even the 250EX's have oil coolers)? Hope this helps.