PDA

View Full Version : Painting Plastics

HRDROKR18
09-16-2005, 12:31 PM
DOES ANYONE KNOW IT YOU CAN PAITN STOCK PLASTICS W/OUT THEM CHIPPING OR CRACKING? AND SPECIAL TECHNIQUES OR PAINT SUGGESTIONS? IF ITS POSSIBLE WHATS THE BEST WAY TO GO ABOUT IT SO IT LOOKS GOOD IN THE END?
THANKS

400EXBill
09-16-2005, 01:47 PM
Plastics are paintable, and if done right, won't chip or crack. Auto manufacturers and body shops paint plastics all the time. Most of the cars you buy nowadays have alot of painted plastic. You have to use an adhesion promoter, flex agent (if paint requires it), and rough the surface like you normally would when painting. I'm not sure of all the exact steps though. I found this by doing a quick google search. Click Here (http://sportbikeguy.com/garage/floor/painting.html)

09-16-2005, 07:05 PM
Krylon fusion plastic paint.

XtremeSkier
09-16-2005, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie069
Krylon fusion plastic paint.

DANG! beat me to it..all i've heard is good things about that paint..since my quads black it's kind of hard to paint over it..but looks like Mxjunkie can speak from expierence

nice banshee man

TheFontMaster
09-16-2005, 09:47 PM
While the krylon fusion paint works, it still isn't the best, I saw Josh's banshee at rausch, and the paint was already starting to chip where it flexed. As for auto motive paint, fist off, plastic on a quad is constantly flexing, a bumper on a car doesn't move, unless something hits it, so naturaly the paint will stay on the cars. Another thing is that the plastic on cars is a total different plastic than what is used on quads, and even adhesion promotors, I was at a demonstration for one of these products last year, and I was told that it was not for use on the type of plastic on quads. I just think that painting plastics is a waste of money. For around 100 dollars, you can get a custom vinal grafics kit from goforitgrafics.com. If you are building a drag quad, go ahead and paint the plastic, the plastic is usualy shaved so that there wont be the problem with paint chipping, and drag quads also don't see alot of wear on the plastics.

09-16-2005, 09:53 PM
Only chipped cause I had probaly 15 pounds of mud on them for 2 days..

EXracer83
09-17-2005, 09:16 AM
Get ahold of Performance Bodies. They make dirt track nose peices and rear peices for pure adn street stocks. They sell a plastic primer and the paint both in spray cans. It holds up through the rough racing on the track so I imagine it will hold up on the 4 wheelers. Their website it:

http://www.performancebodies.com/

dsandraptor
09-25-2005, 01:52 AM
you can paint plastics just like a car bumper . but would you paint your own car bumper and expect it to look good? leave it to the pros my opinion.

dsandraptor
09-25-2005, 01:52 AM