PDA

View Full Version : Flushing mud from engine

Johnny Reb
06-11-2002, 06:37 AM
I have got mud in my engine and I need to know the best way to totally flush the engine, because I am fixing to get a 416 kit installed and I don't want to do it without being sure the mud is flushed out! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Holty
06-11-2002, 07:12 AM
how much mud are you talking about here? if it is just from going through some deep puddles/mud you should be fine. i would change the oil and filter and ride it for about an hour. than do it again. if you still think there is alot of mud/water in your motor I would dig in and get it all cleaned up asap. also, don't forget to clean your airfilter and carb really good too. also, how do you know there is mud in your engine anyway?

oynot400
06-11-2002, 08:05 AM
Well I have been down this road before. Your oil looks like a milk shake right?
Here is what we do and have real good luck with.
1. Drain what oil will come out of the engine and oil tank, this will take some time since it is like snot.
2. Put the drain bolts back in and fill the oil tank with diesel fuel, NOT GASOLINE! Turn on the key and push the kill switch so you can turn the motor over, but it will not start. Let it crank for a minute or so and then drain the diesel fuel out. I usually do this twice.
3. Fill it back up with some cheap oil. Start the engine and let it idle for a mintue.
4. Drain the oil agian and put in your good oil and change the filter. I would run it for about a hour and change it agin.

This takes some time, the last time I did it. It took me over 3 hours to get it all out of my motor.
Hope this helps....

Johnny Reb
06-12-2002, 08:15 AM
I appreciate the suggestions! The reason I know it has mud in it is because I tried to skip across a mud puddle that was a little too long and it flipped into about 4 feet of mud and water, so when I finally got it out I had to have it pull started after foulin three plugs. But I had a buddy with me in the same puddle and he had to have a total rebuild, and they found quite a bit of mud in his motor!Thanks for the info!

ranger400ex
06-12-2002, 09:28 AM
Might want to invest in a set of skis for the mud, lol. I had this happen on my old R and did the diesel fuel trick. It works, but takes time, jsut don't let the engine start. Good luck

BMW

Johnny Reb
06-13-2002, 06:20 AM
Could I not just pull the boot off the plug and do the diesel fuel trick?