PDA

View Full Version : Trail Secrets

09-21-2001, 10:35 AM
I was just wondering if you guys have any trail secrets you could share. Things from: add on's for your quads, to methods of getting around, over, under, between, and throu obsticals?

knighttime
09-21-2001, 11:12 AM
stay clear of trees

09-21-2001, 11:17 AM
Get you some belly protection for the complete bottom of your quad, get some good grips and handlebars, when in doubt,,,put the hammer down....:D

09-21-2001, 03:42 PM
On a really tight tree lined trail,keep your eyes on a tree on one side of the trail and ride as close to it without hitting it. That way you should always clear anything on the other side. Like sqweezing between two trees any such. Also whenever possible look as far in front of you as you can that way things don't just jump out in front of you. If took me a long time to break my habit of looking just in front of instead of whats down the trails.

dirtclog
09-21-2001, 07:57 PM
i am a woods rider and here is what i have on my 300ex:

1. tall tires...22x11x9 6 ply maxxis raxr's on back
23x7x10 razr's on front soon to come(wife to get me for my birthday oct. 11)
2. dg full chassis and swingarm skid plates...recommend a arm scids but i don't have them
3 ac front bumper with mud screen...really to stop the sticks.
4. low to mid pipe...(i have fmf) !.gives you that good throttle response when need to loft the front end over trees, rocks,alley cats,etc...
5 spare tires on rims
6. motorcross boots...i used to laugh at that but once i finally got a pair i will never ride without them...my legs haven't been bruised up since.
7. I have a six pack rack...'nough said...but only at the end of the ride!!

the main thing for me riding through the woods is i keep my inside tire as close to the tree as possible because will give rest of the quad room no matter what.

last: i always remember...if i saw a bigger quad go through there...i'm not slowing down...:D

trx400ex
09-21-2001, 09:15 PM
heres something ...if a biglog falls across a section of a trail , dont bother trying to move it or tear up crap getting over it, just take some shovels and pile dirt up against it...waala its a jump

RideRed04
09-21-2001, 09:21 PM
Unless your group consists of 2 2002 400ex's, a 2001 400ex, a 2001 ds 650, and a handfull of sportsman 500's, you let the fast guys go over the log, then we all turn around and move it for the old farts... :D

kat400ex
09-21-2001, 09:57 PM
Just make sure you look and dont take that goofy chance no one will be coming ha ha.....thats what i thought on my 250 with a 310kit.....5th gear playing with my husband chase and hit a hunting bike head on .......7 broke bones later i dont take that chance anymore totalled both bikes and almost killed me helmet sure saved me......dont think it wont happen to you ......i was lucky to live and walk......now i ride and i ride hard but i ride with the thought it can happen to me......have fun but be alert and careful.....we all get crazy just make sure you can see around the corners.......do it on straight aways!!!

MikeL250X
09-22-2001, 08:43 AM
keep your head up, and remember, your body goes where your head is... so if (like my motorocycle class instructor told me) if there is a big bear on the side of the road, and your so amazed that you stare right at it, your sure to hit it! (apparantly his friend hit a bear on his hog, wrecked the bike and killed the bear) be wary off off camber hills too :D

4punksdad
09-24-2001, 06:04 PM
trail rides can be very dangerous.........being the first guy down the trail is not always best.

If I have not been on the trails for more than a day, I always ride through slow the first time. I look for downed trees, boobie traps left by disgruntled hunters (ie broken glass, wire between trees etc), big nasty spider webs, the usual. Alot of the terrain I ride is in the flood plain..........after a heavy rain, the creek overflows, and the trail might not be there anymore!

I also take the opportunity to look around at my surroundings whenever I hit a hilltop or a place that affords such a view. You never know what you might see. I have spotted a cop or two in my day, who were hiding out & waiting for me to pass through........needless to say I changed my course :)

whenever I blaze a new trail, I try to make it a continuous ride with 2 ways out. never a dead end trail that you must turn around & go back the way you came in.

09-26-2001, 08:35 PM
Well if you are a good rider and you need to get through some tight trees and you got nerfs you can drive the front tire up on of the trees and then just pin it and the nerf will hold you up on the angle til your back tire hits the tree and spins you threw. This trick works real good on my R. :grr :macho

09-28-2001, 09:02 PM
stay clear of trees

and dead end signs:huh

Nausty
09-28-2001, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by knighttime
stay clear of trees

and windows, hehe.

RideRed04
09-28-2001, 09:37 PM
Dane... :D That whole dead end sign thing is never going to go away is it?

09-28-2001, 09:44 PM
not until I tag a barbed wire fence or a large body of water...

RideRed04
09-29-2001, 09:05 AM
Well, keep hoping buddy!