PDA

View Full Version : quick cam help

400exrules
09-15-2005, 09:03 PM
Im wanting a drop in cam for lowend torque, but i dont know what to get. i hear a lot about hotcams, but i dont know what stage to get. People say the hotcams stage 1 gives bottom end, but here, it says it gives mid to topend..?
http://www.hotcamsinc.com/catalog.asp#1007-1%%Honda%%TRX%20400%20EX%%1999-2005%%Stage%201%20Cam

and where should i get one for a good price, and do i need to replace or change anything else along with the cam?

need replies ASAP

thanks!

hondarider2006
09-16-2005, 12:05 AM
The stage I is a low end, drop in cam. You don't need anything else, but the cam, new gaskets, and some assembly lube. A friend of mine threw one in his 400ex, with nothing more than a slip-on, filtered and jetted and it did pull harder than stock...but nothing like my 426 does. Right now, I am running the 426 11:1 compression with the stage 2(or I guess its called stage 3 now) hotcam and I love it. TONS of low end power, and it revs to the moon! If your going to dig into the motor, mise well bump up the c.c.'s a little, make it rev higher...and a few other tricks while your at it. Every little bit helps;)

400exrules
09-16-2005, 01:29 PM
where can i get the gaskets?

are you talkin about head gaskets, for when i pull the head off to put in the cam?

and should i get a full system sparks, or just stick with my s/o hmf

cals400ex
09-16-2005, 03:21 PM
i would get it all from C&D.

a full pipe will drastically make things better. if you want low end power, i would either do the full hmf conversion or get the x-4. both will provide gains everywhere in the powerband. it will be really noticable with a cam too.

hondarider2006
09-17-2005, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by cals400ex
i would get it all from C&D.

a full pipe will drastically make things better. if you want low end power, i would either do the full hmf conversion or get the x-4. both will provide gains everywhere in the powerband. it will be really noticable with a cam too.

What he said;) You can get all of your parts through C&D, awsome people to deal with! As far as the full system goes, I have never had one, so I couldn't help you on that. I know Cal knows what he talking about though, so if he suggest to get one, I would listen:)