PDA

View Full Version : 700r exhaust questions

nadabomber
09-15-2005, 06:25 PM
hey whats up ya'll, just got my new raptor 700 last weekend, well it runs great, fast as hell and 3rd gear is a kicker, but enough of that, i just got my new hmf full exhaust and have a few questions, first off i could not take it out for a ride casue its to late and that thing is HELLA loud... but after about 5 min of letting it run the header pipes get a bright bright orange and i shut it off just cause i dnt know, also when i hit the gass a flame shoots out the back, i put the spark arr. in, also when first started it stalled a couple times, never has stalled before is it just that it needs to seel itself and get use to it let me know, any help would be great, all the reading i have done has led me to believe that the efi remaps and know tfi box is needed, thnx...

Yamahauler_04
09-15-2005, 07:16 PM
Sounds lean. Did you reprogram the ECU?

nadabomber
09-15-2005, 07:26 PM
no i did not reprogram it, it did not say anything about doing that how do i do it, plz help thnx

sikraptor700
09-15-2005, 08:54 PM
with a full system u need to remap, only with a slip on you can leave it stock

nadabomber
09-15-2005, 09:08 PM
WHY DIDNT THEY SAY ANYTHING ABOUT REMAPING??? how the hell do u remap a brand new 06 raptor 700 when there is nothing hardly out for it, they said no matter what u do to it the efi will remap itself.... a little more direction in what i need to do would be helpful thnx guys..

tater_kamik
09-16-2005, 03:16 AM
there is already an box to do that, dobeck i believe...

Jeffksf
09-16-2005, 07:39 AM
Why don't you go here (http://www.hmfengineering.com/forums/) and ask?

sikraptor700
09-16-2005, 09:04 AM
you can either get a Dobeck, or you can get a power comander to adjust the EFI

the dobeck cost $199 and the power commader cost about $300 both have pros and cons, but both work perfect

fastbanshee4u
09-23-2005, 09:08 AM
I talked to a yamaha shop yesterday and they just got the programmer tool in to adjust the fuel.

z400roosteR
09-26-2005, 05:02 PM
WoW so the whole Fuel Injected not having to rejet thing wasn't as good as it was said to be.....i have to spend 50 bucks on jets....and you have to spend 200 on something to change the computer? Sounds gay.......We were thinking of adding one to our arsenal but i guess it's time to wait and see what everyone has o say about them.

tater_kamik
09-26-2005, 06:50 PM
but you can change the fuel map almost instantly, and you dont have to take the carbs off, no playing with a/f screws, nothing. there is no guess work in changing the maps on them. with motorcycles, there is a thing called a power commander and i am assuming the dobeck box is the same. you download an map, hook an usb cable to it, and you are now running a new map. a little more investment than some jets initially, but a lot faster

gmack_again
09-27-2005, 08:48 AM
This remapping idea seems a little different to me. I have seen remapped ECU loads for cars before. These were intended to eek out that last little bit of performance after some mods. Typically they would correct a overly rich condition that the factory setup used as a margin of error.

To correct a potentially lean condition, the fuel injectors themselves were typically upgraded. This kept them running under 80% of there capacity to ensure a normal lifespan and that the ECU could add enough fuel whenever the sensors detected it was needed.

So does the YFI measure a/f and exhaust temps like most other fuel injection systems or is there something more to this ?

tater_kamik
09-27-2005, 09:32 AM
well, i have been told that on an bike, they tend to be lean from the factory to meet emission requirements. on bikes, about the only time i have ever heard of anyone putting injectors on is when some serious work has been done (huge bores, etc for drag) or when an turbo/supercharger has been put on. other than that, i have noticed after an full exhaust is put on, that the power commander proudces quite a bit more power out of the bike (aparently getting the a/f ratio correct) but it also gets rid of any glitches in the powerband, making it much smoother. i assume that on the raptor that it measures the a/f ratio, but i am not sure.

sikraptor700
09-27-2005, 10:04 PM
http://www.hmfengineering.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=594&stc=1

tater_kamik
09-27-2005, 11:05 PM
now that is some serious power gains from an exhaust!!!! i want to see that on an dyno not owned by them, anyone going to pappy's for the dyno day that has an 700?

gmack_again
09-28-2005, 07:01 AM
I apologize if this is thread high jacking, however that page clearly states that the EFI needs to be recalibrated to prevent damage. So how does the YFI adjust the a/f ? If it is in fact able to adjust for changes in temp and altitude (what would be the point if it didn't ?) it should be able to tell when it has made the correct adjustment by measuring exhaust temps. Shouldn't it ? Or does it simply use a measurement of ambient temp, coolant temp and altitude to guess at the proper a/f ? This would explain why it needs to be recalibrated when the flow is increased by removing the airbox or uncorking the exhaust I guess ....

sikraptor700
09-28-2005, 08:28 AM
What you said is pretty much right ^^

gmack_again
09-28-2005, 08:35 AM
Thanks. So the new maps will be edited versions of the original depending on your upgrades ? 1 for slip on exhaust, 1 for slip on w/o airbox lid, another for full exhaust etc ... ?

sikraptor700
09-28-2005, 08:57 AM
well the power commander uses maps, but the dobeck just adds more fuel by changing the injectors signal length, well i guess the power commander does this to but its a little different you can check out the websites for each and learn more