PDA

View Full Version : Whats a steering dampener??

fasterblaster09
09-15-2005, 04:43 PM
Just wondering,i know i prevents bumpsteer,right??..just wondering,I've never seen one and always wondered how it worked.

09-15-2005, 07:18 PM
ohh goodness. yet another person that miss uses the term bump steer.

:rolleyes:

steering stabilizers ROCK. I just got one and it rocks. they make it sooo easy to hold on to the bars going over rough terain.

09-15-2005, 07:22 PM
bumpsteer is how the toe in or toe out of the front tires change as the suspention travel goes up and doun.

the dampiner basicly keeps the tire from turning when you hit stuff. it slows movments doun. so when you go over a rock you woud normally turn a little bit becaus you cant recact fast enouf to keep the tires straight. the stabilizer would keep things goign straight.

fasterblaster09
09-15-2005, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by mittimj
ohh goodness. yet another person that miss uses the term bump steer.

:rolleyes:

steering stabilizers ROCK. I just got one and it rocks. they make it sooo easy to hold on to the bars going over rough terain.

Ok thanks alot.But did you have to be an ***** about it??...I didnt know,so I asked.But whatever thanks

09-15-2005, 07:39 PM
sorry man. I dident realize how jerk off that sounded. but a lot of ppl do use it wrong.

DirtDevilBT
09-17-2005, 09:51 PM
Not to just add for the sake of adding, but you will feel much more confident with a stabilizer. I didn't really notice it the first ride but then you see the difference the second ride. Cruzing in sanding washes you find the tires stay straighter and over choppy trails where the steering would swap back and forth, you can now do it with one hand. :devil:

bwamos
09-18-2005, 12:45 PM
I had to add one after I seperated my left shoulder in an XC race. I wouldn't run without one now days. :)

I helps with harsh steering feedback. Have you ever smacked a rock just right to where it puts your bars into your hip? Won't happen with a steering dampener.

It's basically just a shock absorber for your steering.

BLACKeR
09-18-2005, 07:16 PM
whats a steering "dampener"? i have never heard of one? im actually quite confident that steering "dampeners" dont exist. to the best of my knowledge steering "dampeners" only exist on forums.....

steering dampers are a little different, they do exist and i would not run without one, or maybe two. :D yeah yeah i know im a jerk, but if the other guy can have fun with bumpsteer, i can have fun with dampener...

bwamos
09-19-2005, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by BLACKeR
whats a steering "dampener"? i have never heard of one? im actually quite confident that steering "dampeners" dont exist. to the best of my knowledge steering "dampeners" only exist on forums.....

LoL,

I usually call them steering stabilizers.

However if you think about it.. dampener would be the proper term versus the term damper (even though this is the most common usage by the manufacturers).

Breaking down:
Dampener = to dampen
Damper = to damp (to make more wet?)

Just a little bad humor.. it's early Monday.

DirtDevilBT
09-19-2005, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by bwamos
LoL,

I usually call them steering stabilizers.

However if you think about it.. dampener would be the proper term versus the term damper (even though this is the most common usage by the manufacturers).

Breaking down:
Dampener = to dampen
Damper = to damp (to make more wet?)

Just a little bad humor.. it's early Monday.

Yeah but your right on the money. FYI: I alway call them stabalizers.

jeepnrocks
09-19-2005, 03:36 PM
They are an absolute must for the quad!! You might not notice it after you have it on a while. However once you get on a quad without one you'll think its steering is about to fall apart!