PDA

View Full Version : compound bow

Warnerade
09-15-2005, 04:34 PM
well...i decided to pull out the old bow and shoot a few targets after about 3-4 years of sitting....i was shooting pretty good patterns, much to my suprise....my arms started to get tired, i lowered my bow by mistake and shot the brick wall:o

after math

exboy
09-15-2005, 04:41 PM
dang that thing was tore up good. When does bow season start up there? it starts on the 15th or the 18th here not sure wich one i gotta sight in my cross bow and get some broad heads

Warnerade
09-15-2005, 04:44 PM
i honestly have no idea when it starts....i know gun season starts on the first, but only becuase of my dad...

i dont realy have an interest in hunting anymore...to quote ROn White "its realy early in the morning, its realy cold, and i just dont wanna go"

i just havent shot in a while and remembered how much i used to enjoy shooting.

Tommy 17
09-15-2005, 04:45 PM
i wish i had skillz... like bow hunting skills...

does anyone remember my wonderful beer bottle opening shot i posted on here... i gotta find that again!

exboy
09-15-2005, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
i wish i had skillz... like bow hunting skills...

does anyone remember my wonderful beer bottle opening shot i posted on here... i gotta find that again!

chicks want boy friends with skillz:D :D

thats why i got a cross bow cus i have no skillz with a compound either

Tommy 17
09-15-2005, 04:55 PM
haha well it hasn't worked for me yet and i can touch 5 arrows at 35+ yds...

my best shot to date was 100yds in 2 shots i hit a pie plate... i actually have a 100yd pin... i just have to figure out the wind and its easy from there...:devil:

Pappy
09-15-2005, 04:57 PM
i prefer my BOW-06:o

wilkin250r
09-15-2005, 05:07 PM
I hunt with a knife.

Warnerade
09-15-2005, 05:19 PM

my best shot to date was 100yds in 2 shots i hit a pie plate... i actually have a 100yd pin... i just have to figure out the wind and its easy from there...:devil: damn...i missed and hit the wall at 20 yards:o

DeerNuts
09-15-2005, 05:25 PM
Ive been shooting my Hoyt for awhile now. Season starts Oct. 2nd, and Im pumped:macho
Ive gotten 2 deer (bucks)with my bow, and, uh, a couple ducked the arrow.
I love it, theres no better time of the year to be out there in a treestand hunting. I gotta hankerin for some deer meat. get r dun.

zeppelin
09-15-2005, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
I hunt with a knife.

real men hunt with hard blunt objects....... like rocks :scary:

cletusEX
09-15-2005, 05:30 PM
Yeah I've been shooting a little bit lately. Bow season actually started in Md today, but I won't start hunting till around the middle of Oct. I hunt marshland and the mosquitos can carry you away when it's this warm. I don't shoot enough but I manage to stick one every once in a while. :D

exboy
09-15-2005, 05:30 PM
I love it, theres no better time of the year to be out there in a treestand hunting. I gotta hankerin for some deer meat. get r dun. [/B][/QUOTE]

i agree 100%

Pappy
09-15-2005, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by cletusEX
I manage to stick one every once in a while. :D

yeah ive been known to get a few ;)

im up for a sika deer:chinese:

cletusEX
09-15-2005, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
im up for a sika deer:chinese:

We should be able to work that out.;)

tj_escott
09-15-2005, 05:44 PM
I know why you missed the target just from the pic. It look like you are still shooting aluminum arrows. Go down to your local pro shop and get some carbons. They are faster, lighter, stronger, will not bend. You can get them as light as 8 grains per inch. I almost forgot to tell you the most important thing, there more accurate.

exboy
09-15-2005, 05:46 PM
not tryin to start nothin but is it sika or sitka?? j/w so i dont say the wrong thing some day and look stupid

Pappy
09-15-2005, 05:50 PM
SIKA

lil rascals of the marshland:p
http://www.dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/sikadeerfs.html

exboy
09-15-2005, 05:54 PM
aight thanx
:rolleyes:

cletusEX
09-15-2005, 06:01 PM
There are Sitka deer, also. They are a member of the blacktail family and live in the Northwest.

But Sika deer are elk and found wild on Md's eastern shore.. It's pronounced SEE-ka. They might be small but boy can they soak up some lead.:p

DeerNuts
09-15-2005, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by tj_escott
Go down to your local pro shop and get some carbons. They are faster, lighter, stronger, will not bend. You can get them as light as 8 grains per inch. I almost forgot to tell you the most important thing, there more accurate.

I know where you're coming from, but the reason he missed is not that he was shooting aluminum arrows. It was fatigue, as he stated.
The best feature about carbon is that it is stiff. Watch an aluminum arrow and a carbon one shot in VERY slow motion and you will be amazed at the flex difference between the two. Another good feature is that it is light; however, in that feature lies its weakness. It has to do with kinetic energy (I wont explain, Ill butcher it). But a heavier arrow actually packs more "punch" because the equation for KE involves mass and velocity. There is a balance point between the two.
Aluminum is no excuse for poor shooting. Sorry for the bad explanation of carbon's bad attributes, but aluminum is still a very good choice. I shoot Easton 2217's and couldnt be happier. They are fast enough at 64lbs. draw, and the penetration they provide is more than sufficient for a whitetail, or even an elk for that matter.
Somebody else explain the whole kinetic energy thing, and well all have a better understanding. That, or just google it.

exboy
09-15-2005, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by cletusEX
There are Sitka deer, also. They are a member of the blacktail family and live in the Northwest.

But Sika deer are elk and found wild on Md's eastern shore.. It's pronounced SEE-ka. They might be small but boy can they soak up some lead.:p

ok i knew i had heard sitka deer somewhere:) :p

wvspeedfreak
09-15-2005, 06:33 PM
Here are a few of my better shots :D

wvspeedfreak
09-15-2005, 06:35 PM
And one that peeled like a banana after it hit a cinder block that you had to shoot through at a tough man shoot.:eek:

Warnerade
09-15-2005, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by tj_escott
I know why you missed the target just from the pic. It look like you are still shooting aluminum arrows. Go down to your local pro shop and get some carbons. They are faster, lighter, stronger, will not bend. You can get them as light as 8 grains per inch. I almost forgot to tell you the most important thing, there more accurate. ya....like deer said, it was simply fatigue...i knew after that shot it was time to call it quits for the day.

I've never had this problem before...so its not my arrows fault i hit solid brick wall and missed a 2'x2' square target:ermm:

cletusEX
09-15-2005, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by wvspeedfreak

Nice. My dad used to hunt with a guy who had tons of those. Him and his wife used to shoot national cometitions. She won a few gold cups and he was always in the top 10. There shed was full of "robin-hoods". Thats at least what I called them (I was only like 10 :p ).

wvspeedfreak
09-15-2005, 06:48 PM
Yeah,we call em "robin hoods" too.I used to shoot every day for at least an hour and was at a 3d shoot every weekend and did the indoor league thing in the winter months.I kind of slipped out of it the last 2 years but I'm itching to get back into it.:macho

cletusEX
09-15-2005, 07:06 PM
Yeah,we call em "robin hoods" too.I used to shoot every day for at least an hour and was at a 3d shoot every weekend and did the indoor league thing in the winter months.I kind of slipped out of it the last 2 years but I'm itching to get back into it.:macho

Yeah I really haven't done much shooting in the last few years. Used to do some 3d shoots and shoot for about an hour a few days a week. I make sure I get enough practice in to make a clean kill but no where near target caliber. I miss it but just don't have the time anymore.

tj_escott
09-15-2005, 07:57 PM
That is true about KE. The arrows that I shoot are beman ICS they weight 11 grains per inch and I shoot a 125 grain tip 28 inch arrow, so my arrows weigh 433 grains. arrow speed is 287 fps (feet per second) When it hits it has about 62ft/lbs of energy. Go with carbons. ;)

gyt-r450
09-16-2005, 07:58 AM

good shooting! i only have two robin hoods:ermm: and that was good for me but four, crazy. i would hate to be a deer in your neck of woods:eek2:

Trevor
09-16-2005, 08:10 AM
I havn't fired mine in about 6 or 7 years I should dig it out as well. Just for a laugh.

SHANE03EX
09-16-2005, 08:15 AM
:rolleyes: ................SLIVER SLINGERS..............:o

Crazy Honda
09-16-2005, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by gyt-r450
good shooting! i only have two robin hoods:ermm: and that was good for me but four, crazy. i would hate to be a deer in your neck of woods:eek2:

You know if you want a few more just buy a bowtech ...lol :devil: ....

Just mess'n .lol

WKY400EX
09-16-2005, 12:48 PM

my best shot to date was 100yds in 2 shots i hit a pie plate... i actually have a 100yd pin... i just have to figure out the wind and its easy from there...:devil: I just hope you're not shooting deer at 100yds.:p

Tommy 17
09-16-2005, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by WKY400EX
I just hope you're not shooting deer at 100yds.:p

been there done that... its the same as iff they are 5yds away... put the pin on the shoulder and let it go:macho

WKY400EX
09-16-2005, 11:25 PM
been there done that... its the same as iff they are 5yds away... put the pin on the shoulder and let it go:macho :p