PDA

View Full Version : Tips for hitting jumps

DAB516
09-15-2005, 09:42 AM
I just started to ride last year on my 400ex and i've hit some real little jumps but I would like to start to hit some bigger ones. Can anyone give me some tips in the proper technique so I don't hurt myself

jak1389
09-15-2005, 01:53 PM
just go out and practice. and there are those times that everyone has done where you dont really feel the jump but just go balls out to prove to yourself that you could do it. just a tip tho, its better to be going alittle too fast then alittle to slow.

LT250Racer609
09-15-2005, 06:37 PM
5th gear tapped wide...cant lose:blah:

jak1389
09-15-2005, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by LT250Racer609
5th gear tapped wide...cant lose:blah:

lol, i can see him hitting like a small 40 double in 5th and shoots like 80ft and totally destroys himself. lol. great advice:rolleyes: .

LT250Racer609
09-15-2005, 06:47 PM
lol ya i just recently hit a 90 foot double in my MX race which only 2 quads were doin it...me and my cousin and i hit it 4th gear pinned for the 2nd time and flat landed...i went like 20 feet beyond the landing pad...now im in a cast for a broken wrist lol

always start small and work your way up as your confidence builds...thats about the best advice i can give you

HndaRdr400
09-15-2005, 07:51 PM
whatever you do, maintain a steady speed and have your required speed well before the ramp. If you romp it to the top, you better get ready for your front end to come up. Same thing again if you let off the gas toward the top of the ramp your front end will dive downward. but like everyone said; practice.

TRX_450
09-15-2005, 08:02 PM
my advice is do wat i do.....jump it and then go farther and farther til ur landin close toi the landin and then jus say F it and go as faster than wat u did and landed at the beginnin of the landin and keep in mind its better to over jump and bottom out than to under jump and smash into the face of the landing

flyin#5
09-15-2005, 08:13 PM
if at all possible try to hit the jump going really slow... so you just pop off of it, its harder to do on taller doubles, but a still easy landing on tables and small doubles. it helps you establish how the lip will throw you in the air. after you get that down pick a speed you think feels right to clear it in, and go up to it at that speed, then slow down going up the ramp, and either blip over it, or roll back and turn around. you might have to do that a few times to get the confidence you need. trust your instinct, its usually right... if not, you'll know to hit it faster or slower the next time:blah:

like august (i believe thats august... right?) said get near the speed you want to hit the ramp at a good 30-50ft before the ramp, then about 10 ft before i like to give it a bit more, most quads nose dive and just seem to jump funny if you give it a constant speed the whole way up to, and off the ramp. so just give it a little bit more.