PDA

View Full Version : 300ex - Older WB Exhaust Question??

jgray
09-15-2005, 07:35 AM
i got aquestion. I installed a used exhaust that I aquired awhile ago. Its a older White brothers. I repacked it and painted her up, looks real nice, not the best , but I am happy with it (tight budgets really stink) I noticed though that its just a open end exhaust, Its a straight shot from the exhaust port all the way out to the silencer tip. To try to expalin it another way. I could put a mouse at the end, and it could crawl straight into the exhaust port. Is there something that should be there, is it spark arrestor approved? Is there gonna be back pressure ?? I know i am asking alot, not being able to see it and all. But I know you guys can picture it.
I was told that this exhaust worked great when removed from machine !!!

BTW 300ex, 128main, needle 4th notch. I haven't ran it yet.

Thanks
Jason

bwamos
09-15-2005, 11:35 AM
Most aftermarket pipes are that way. THey are jsut a straight pipe with a "glasspack" on the end of them. (oversimplified I know).

The bends in the header add the necessary backpressure.

There appears to be no spark arestor in it. It would simply just be a steel mesh screen (kind of like heavy screen door material). You can add it easily yourself if you want. Just get some coarse Stainless Steel screen from the hardware store.

Basically you have a closed circuit racing pipe.

Where do you ride? If your in the midwest.. I woudnt worry about the spark arestor... if your in the North West id, get one added. East coast where you are, varies.

Basically, where you live is there high risk for forest fires? That will determine the need for one. If you sneeze wrong does the forest burn down?

jgray
09-15-2005, 12:34 PM
I am in the North East. All State trails require one, though is this "home made" fix gonna be allowed if I am ever checked.

Then what are the disks for in like a supertrapp??

Is this pipe gonna be loud ?? I think I might now that answer, but thought I'd ask so I am ready when I check my jetting.

jgray
09-19-2005, 05:49 AM
Got everything back together, Ran it yesterday. Runs great thru all gears up to full throttle. Couldn't run it to much, don't need the cop to come. What a differance !! its great. More power and a little more noise then I wanted, but should be fine.

I am getting a whole lot of smoke though. Its a whitish smoke that mostly come out after I let off the gas. I took notice of the sitting in the driveway warming her up. Then after the little ride I did. While riding there was a large amount of smoke behind me .. haha.. At first thought it was just exhaust port valve seals. But I would have to think the rings are just about shot also ..
Any thoughts !!! I am supposted to go riding this weekend. What to do ??