PDA

View Full Version : Port and Polish?

Rastus
06-10-2002, 09:19 PM
What exactly happens in a port and polish job?

VegasEx'r
06-10-2002, 09:26 PM
When you port an engine the ports are opened up so that the engine can breath better. A good port job will also match the exhaust port(s) to the header on the exhaust so that flow is as smooth as possible. Polishing makes the surface smooth, which allows more air & fuel into the chamber, and allows exhaust gasses to exit quicker. For a carburated engine, the intake ports still need to be a little rough (one option is a "swirl" polish) so that the air/fuel can mix/atomize properly. The exhaust ports can be as smooth as possible (I think)

R-Crazy
06-10-2002, 10:40 PM
is it worth it if you do not plan to go into the engine?

dave

VegasEx'r
06-10-2002, 10:44 PM
I'd say that to get your money's worth from the port & polish, you'd want to at least add a cam, air filter & exhaust. That would be a bre minimum.

Nausty
06-10-2002, 11:06 PM
well when you have the motor taken apart it would be a good time to do other motor mods like boring, putting in higher compression piston and a cam and the stuff that comes with that.

honda250xrider
06-23-2002, 08:22 PM
porting the motor is one of the biggest gains you can get from it ... it is alot better i think than boring your engine that just my opion though