PDA

View Full Version : border crossing question?

shellbyzfan33
09-14-2005, 05:12 PM
anyone here ever cross the american/canadian border to go riding?? if so did u have to show anything on ur atv or did u just wave and cross after saying u were just going riding???:confused:

i might be trading my quad for another but i have no title???? plus i don't know how it will be coming back into the us with a different atv??

MOFO
09-14-2005, 05:17 PM
I would imagine you should have all the paperwork you have stating you own it, especially when coming back into the US.

Also a few friends of mine went to Canada this year and the border guards said that in the future passports will be required...I'm not sure how true this is, but just a FYI for ya...

Quad18star
09-14-2005, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by MOFO
I would imagine you should have all the paperwork you have stating you own it, especially when coming back into the US.

Also a few friends of mine went to Canada this year and the border guards said that in the future passports will be required...I'm not sure how true this is, but just a FYI for ya...

As of December , passports will be needed to cross the into both countries . :ermm:

As for bringing a quad over , make sure you have all paper work and declare it when you come across . Also you'll need insurance papers and have the vehicle plated . If you buy an atv and bring it back into the USA , amke sure the sellers gives you a bill of sale ... get them to make it out for like $500 for tax purposes . Have all the registration documents ready also .

shellbyzfan33
09-14-2005, 05:37 PM
yeah right now all i do is show them my ny lisence . as for all paperwork... i have no title??? so what do i do???

Quad18star
09-14-2005, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by shellbyzfan33
yeah right now all i do is show them my ny lisence . as for all paperwork... i have no title??? so what do i do??? Which province are you comming into?? And which border crossing are you taking?? For more info , your best bet is to contact your state government and find out their laws . You can also contact the Provincial government of the province you're going into . I'll try and help you out more if you can give me more info as to were you're going .

shellbyzfan33
09-14-2005, 08:35 PM
i'm crossing the peace bridge from buffalo into ontario and meeting in st catherines.
i just need to know how i can show proof? maybe go to my town hall and get some thing noterized???

troutman561
09-14-2005, 08:40 PM
yea youll need passports to get into any country, i goto the bahamas on the boat alot and as of 06' we'll need them, for now its jsut picture ID and birth certificate

Quad18star
09-14-2005, 09:53 PM
i'm crossing the peace bridge from buffalo into ontario and meeting in st catherines.
i just need to know how i can show proof? maybe go to my town hall and get some thing noterized???

Good luck crossing the Peace Bridge .... I've always had bad luck with them . They can be real pricks when they want to be and the line ups are unbelieveable . We waited for about an hour to cross in August ... on our way home we decided to cross near Kingston ( 10000 Islands Bridge) and we only waited 10 minutes . I'll try and find info for you about what you need .

Are you gunna be ridding in the St Catherines area or going somewhere else ?? Or is this just for a business transaction ??

shellbyzfan33
09-14-2005, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
Good luck crossing the Peace Bridge .... I've always had bad luck with them . They can be real pricks when they want to be and the line ups are unbelieveable . We waited for about an hour to cross in August ... on our way home we decided to cross near Kingston ( 10000 Islands Bridge) and we only waited 10 minutes . I'll try and find info for you about what you need .

Are you gunna be ridding in the St Catherines area or going somewhere else ?? Or is this just for a business transaction ??

just a business transaction. i crossed into canada about a month ago to pick up a turbo for my car in hamilton and it only took 3 minutes to cross over the bridge and go through the booths on the canadian side. about 5 minutes total on the way back into the us?:chinese:

Quad18star
09-14-2005, 10:18 PM
just a business transaction. i crossed into canada about a month ago to pick up a turbo for my car in hamilton and it only took 3 minutes to cross over the bridge and go through the booths on the canadian side. about 5 minutes total on the way back into the us?:chinese:

You got lucky then . We crossed on a Thursday afternoon and it was busy .

I tried to find info for you , but came up empty handed . I think the best thing to do when crossing the border to is declare the vehicle . Even if you mark the frame urself with some number punches or take the number off the motor . If you sell the quad , let the authorities know when you cross back , or else you could end up with big fines . Trust me ... my aunt traded 3 horses for a Harley down in Oklahoma and never "declared" it when she came back across because to her the value of the Harley was the same as the Horses ... WRONG !! She got some hefty fines .... and I'm not talking no $1000 fine either .

You won't be able to just cross without them looking over the ATV . They take note of it ... and when you come back , if you don't have the quad , they'll question you to death and probably search your car or truck .

shellbyzfan33
09-15-2005, 06:52 AM
well i called the us border side and they told me the big thing is to find the country of origin on both atvs. if they were made in either canada or the us then their duty free and nothing would have to be paid. if they were made in like japan( which they probably were) then i would have to pay 3% for the first $1000 and 2.5% for remaining whatever?? i'm going to head to the dmv today to try and register it and ask them questions alo. the officer at the border told me to find out country of origin before i call the canadian side border....

Quad18star
09-15-2005, 07:26 AM
Here's the Canada Border Services Agency phone number .

1-506-636-5064 or www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca

Give them a call , they'll let you know everything you need for import or exporting .

DVXchic
09-15-2005, 10:22 AM
Hi Quadstar, We are selling the KTM quad, had alot of people from the states interested. if you were to drive it over the border, how would that work? its a kids bike and it has no ownership + its custom built.

shellbyzfan33
09-15-2005, 10:27 AM
well i talked the canadian side and i have to stop at the border, show a bill of sale and fill out a certain form then pay taxes on whatever i wrote the bill of sale for. he said it was 7% canadian.. so that seems to be all i can do at this point??

Quad18star
09-15-2005, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by DVXchic
Hi Quadstar, We are selling the KTM quad, had alot of people from the states interested. if you were to drive it over the border, how would that work? its a kids bike and it has no ownership + its custom built.

I guess you'd have to get a bill of sale from the manufacturer of the frame , or go to the MTO offices and register it . Most of the time they'll give you a VIN number that you can stamp onto the frame . There's a guy that comes around the website every once in a blue moon ... his user name is Thomas . He had East Coast ATV build him up an aftermarket framed bike . He'd probably be the best guy to talk to this about . I guess you could always bring a "fake" ownership from maybe another bike that you have . Half the time they'll just ask for the ownerships and not look at the VIN numbers on the quad . It's a risk I guess .

The number I provided up above , would answer all your questions though . Give them a call and they'll let you know exactly what you need to transfer everything .

A few years ago , I sold my LT 250r to a guy in New Market , he never transfered the ownerships , then I seen the quad for sale on Ebay a few years after that in New York .Out of curiosity , I emailed the new owner that lived in NY and asked him to check the ownerships ... they were still listed in my name . The quad then sold and was shipped out west somewhere .... I wonder if I'm still the "owner" ??? :p

Quad18star
09-15-2005, 01:43 PM
well i talked the canadian side and i have to stop at the border, show a bill of sale and fill out a certain form then pay taxes on whatever i wrote the bill of sale for. he said it was 7% canadian.. so that seems to be all i can do at this point??

Yeah , they'll make you sign a declaration form to say you own the ATV ... same as any other valueable item that you bring into the country ( video cameras, etc) , just to show that you did indeed import it from the USA and wasn't bought in Canada .

The 7% is GST ( Goods and Services Tax) . Everyone in Ontario pays that 7% and infact we also pay an additional 8% ( Provincial Sales Tax) , but that won't affect you . Liek I said ... if you sell the ATV or buy an ATV or anything for that matter , make the sales receipt out for a small amount , so that you only pay taxes on that amount . Every used vehicle , boat , quad, sled etc that I've ever bought or sold , I've made the receipt for $500 and have never had any problems . As long as both parties agree that this is the selling price if anyone from Canada Customs and Revenue calls to inquire about the price of the object sold .

Guy400
09-15-2005, 01:48 PM
Whatever you do, don't get smart with the Border Patrol. A couple years ago I was going to Windsor with a few friends and it finally gets to be my turn at the booth. I pull up and she asks me if I'm carrying any firearms, alcohol or any other items of interest. I told her no and she asks what my destination was. I looked at her straight-faced and said "Canada." Of course my friends start to chuckle and as a result I did too. Needless to say she made me get out of the car and I had to remove all our bags from the trunk so she could look through it. My smart mouth cost me about 15 minutes of hassle:D

Quad18star
09-15-2005, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Guy400
Whatever you do, don't get smart with the Border Patrol. A couple years ago I was going to Windsor with a few friends and it finally gets to be my turn at the booth. I pull up and she asks me if I'm carrying any firearms, alcohol or any other items of interest. I told her no and she asks what my destination was. I looked at her straight-faced and said "Canada." Of course my friends start to chuckle and as a result I did too. Needless to say she made me get out of the car and I had to remove all our bags from the trunk so she could look through it. My smart mouth cost me about 15 minutes of hassle:D

ROFLMAO !!! Nice one !!!!

When we came back across from being down in NY for the ATV Nationals at Unadilla , we crossed up near Kingston Ontario . So as I pull up to the little booth , I see its a woman officer . Now just to set this straight , I have no problems with women in the law .... but this young woman was happier than a pig in chit that she had authority over people that crossed the border . ANyways ... we pull up and she asks us if we got anything that we bought int he states . I told her 2 t-shirts in my duffle bag . She didn't push the issue . Then she asked me where we had been in the USA and what we were doing there . I told her the town name and that we were there to watch Quad racing . She said .. "whats quad racing?? " . Fair enough , not everyone knows the term quad . So I tell her ... a quad is an ATV . Her response ... "whats an ATV ? " . Ok so this is getting a little wierd now , and I'm trying not to lose my temper ( we were crossing at 8pm , I was tired from driving and had to find a hotel room in Kingston before everything was booked) . So I tell her an ATV is a four-wheeler . She responded with " Whats a 4-wheeler?? " LOL .Remember this is comming from a woman that lives in a country where something like 1/5 households OWN an ATV . I shook my head , while grinding my teeth together . The other officer in the booth beside her had to explain to her what a 4-wheeler was. After she understood what it was , she asked me if I had raced and where I had my quad . Now remember I drive a small little car .. Pontiac Sunfire and I wasn't towing a trailer . You don't know how hard it was for me to resist the urge to tell her to go look in the trunk of my car , so that I could slam the lid on her head .

Moral of the story ... always fight the urge to make smart ***** remarks to border patrol ... cuz they could and probably WILL tear your car apart just for the hell of it and because they can . Leaving you to put it all abck together without tools .