PDA

View Full Version : Time to build up my motor!! What setup should i go with

xsr_racing28c
09-14-2005, 11:01 AM
Alright guys, I am pretty much complete with everything i wanted to do on my quad other than motor work, and i feel like i could use a few extra hp. Right now all i have is an HMF slip-on pipe and i have the air box lid off with stock filter.

I know alot of you have your motors rippened up a bit, so could you all give me some options on what i could do to my motor to liven it up a bit for around $500 until i get more $$$$.... Thanks for any help... ~Jason

chad502ex
09-14-2005, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by xsr_racing28c
Alright guys, I am pretty much complete with everything i wanted to do on my quad other than motor work, and i feel like i could use a few extra hp. Right now all i have is an HMF slip-on pipe and i have the air box lid off with stock filter.

I know alot of you have your motors rippened up a bit, so could you all give me some options on what i could do to my motor to liven it up a bit for around $500 until i get more $$$$.... Thanks for any help... ~Jason

for $500, send you head to DASA as have him wake your 450R up with port/flow work big time! Most reliable hp money can buy!

xsr_racing28c
09-14-2005, 01:05 PM
Chad, what will this exactly do, and will i be able to run 93 octane pump gas still?? also what kinda #'s will i see after the head work?

kazpr
09-14-2005, 01:11 PM
Piston and cam.

chad502ex
09-14-2005, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by xsr_racing28c
Chad, what will this exactly do, and will i be able to run 93 octane pump gas still?? also what kinda #'s will i see after the head work?

yes, porting the head will have nothing to do with not being able to run 93 pump. What changes the octane requirements is the compression ratio and cam overlap, not porting.

as far as the increase in hp with porting, all depends on other variable such as:

do you run a different cam other than stock?
do you have an aftermarket exhaust?
do you have better air filter for increased flow?
bigger carb?

the more mods you have or start with the bigger gains port and flowing the head will make. Still the best and most reliable hp money can buy. Nothing to break by porting. Only helps the engine to breath better, but the engine won't breath and better with porting if you stick with the same stock cam. the better the engine breaths, the more power it makes. You already have started with making the engine more efficient at breathing with the HMF, so how do you think you can make it breath easier yet? cam and porting is next. cams are cheaper than porting. a cam will wake the engine up too. If you eventually end up getting a cam, then if i would spend the $500 with porting IMO. many would say cam first, then porting. i say porting first only if cam is definetly going to happen soon afterwards.

Buy cam and RAD tapered bearing carrier.

slickta
09-14-2005, 07:29 PM
I saw first hand a DASA engine at the nationals over the weekend. That thing was fast. I believe it was the fastest honda there. He was right in the mix with Hitt, Little and Farr until he flipped. We also put the tapered bearing carrier in and man it sure is smooth. Wanted to keep rolling across the garage floor without the chain on it.

xsr_racing28c
09-14-2005, 09:23 PM
thanks guys, can you explain what exactly the tapered bearing carrier does, and how it helps?

Also what kinda cam do you recomend for my setup right now?

SLIDING
09-20-2005, 04:33 AM
Stage 2 hotcam. 185main jet,hrc carb needle. (best bang for your budget)

Then head porting and 12.25:1 Piston (or higher compresion if you want more power,but you will need race gas) When money allows.:devil:

hondardr4life
09-20-2005, 04:39 AM
Call up Mark Baldwin. He will sell you the same exact setup Tim Farr runs or you can get a tamed down version (lower compression) His MX cam ROCKS.

R3Concepts
09-20-2005, 07:33 PM
You cant buy what Tim runs, trust me.

IOWAracer
09-20-2005, 07:52 PM
Actually you can get it lot of people run it and some people have even bought his old race bikes it is the same thing trust me. lol

R3Concepts
09-20-2005, 08:09 PM
Yeah its not like its a Works motor or tranny...:rolleyes: Baldwin does the upkeep..He sells parts that way..trust me, I know other national mechanics..You cannot buy that bike..And if one of his bikes IS for sale, its been changed, you can bet your arse on that.

JH_Racing188
09-20-2005, 09:34 PM
a friend of mine almost bought tims bike that he ran at loretta's and when he asked mark what motor was in the bike he wasnt aloud o tell him all he said when it was sold that it would be a baldwin motor!

i was told from a good source that no one would ever get the internals that he has on the inside of his motor.

Airik79mx
09-21-2005, 05:24 AM
Originally posted by hondardr4life
Call up Mark Baldwin. He will sell you the same exact setup Tim Farr runs or you can get a tamed down version (lower compression) His MX cam ROCKS.

I'll bet my quad dosen't run like Tim's.

Cody_300ex
09-21-2005, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by R3Concepts426ex
You cant buy what Tim runs, trust me.

This is what im thinking. He probably has some top secret things done to it he would not want other engine builders to get a hold of. Possibly oval valves and valve seats, special porting, mics. TI parts that were probably custom made just for him, different tranny gears, special grind cam, theres a million different possiblites. He has way to much R&D into that engine for the public to get ahold of.

R3Concepts
09-21-2005, 06:25 PM
Ever wonder why Tim and John can run a 14/38 and everyone else who rides a Honda runs a 13/39-13/40 just to be able to keep up with them on the holeshot?? Works trannys with closer ratio gears, there bikes wont do 40 in 1st gear like most Hondas, also they back cut the gears so they can shift smoother without the clutch..its an override tranny in a sense...

God its good to know national mechanics..All these little secrets:D

hondardr4life
09-22-2005, 04:47 AM
Well I know that he runs some top secret things, but you can still get a similar setup with the piston and cam and porting.

Vader
09-22-2005, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by SLIDING
Stage 2 hotcam. 185main jet,hrc carb needle. (best bang for your budget)

Then head porting and 12.25:1 Piston (or higher compresion if you want more power,but you will need race gas) When money allows.:devil:

If you want to run pump gas....I agree 100% on this setup. The entire cost would be about $900 with a good porting job - if you install it yourself.

370kingR
09-22-2005, 08:21 PM
All i know is i HIGHLY recommend Dasa to make you a serious motor. He made me a raging 550. The thing is balls to the walls, thats all i can say about it.