PDA

View Full Version : Race Gas?

Matt400ex_17
09-13-2005, 08:01 PM
Im about ready to get my motor back it will have JE 416 kit i think its 10.5:1 compression. I was wondering if i should consider using race fuel probably 50/50 mix with premium. Is this worth it for this application or should i just stick to Premium?

xc_racer1
09-13-2005, 08:11 PM
No u dont need to run race gas... i mean in any quad its gonna run better on race gas even if its bone stock.. just run 93 and itll run just fine
if u race it id use a higher quality gas.. like vp racing

UglyMotha™
09-13-2005, 08:34 PM
Race gas doesn't make a a machine run better unless due to certain conditions it is is needed for example in high compression situations where you would get predet, but at 10.5 your goin to be fine on 92 i can't see any predet issues unless your running really lean

race gas is not something you put in your quad and get another 2horse

Chino
09-13-2005, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by xc_racer1
No u dont need to run race gas... i mean in any quad its gonna run better on race gas even if its bone stock.. just run 93 and itll run just fine
if u race it id use a higher quality gas.. like vp racing

BS using race gas in a stock quad is not gonna make it run better, you only need to use race gas on 12:1 comp and higher, dont listen to people that say oh man my quad runs so much better on race gas, it's all bull ~

AnthonyWhite
09-19-2005, 10:26 PM
Race gas will make your quad run cooler and therefor make it run better in xc races. But it is tru race gas is not for all quads.

Chino
09-19-2005, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by AnthonyWhite
Race gas will make your quad run cooler and therefor make it run better in xc races. But it is tru race gas is not for all quads.

So your saying to put race gas in a stock quad during a race it's gonna run cooler and better??? :rolleyes: Dude race gas has nothing to do with a making anything run better, 12:1 comp and up use race gas, anything else do not run race gas you will see no improvments you will not be able to climb a hill better or pull a wheelie better it's pointless and a waste of money.

troutman561
09-20-2005, 01:12 AM
i heard it smells cool tho

4everhonda
09-20-2005, 05:25 AM
I agree with Chino, you don't need race gas unless you have high compression. you could probably even run 89 if you wanted to.

400exrider707
09-20-2005, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by 4everhonda
I agree with Chino, you don't need race gas unless you have high compression. you could probably even run 89 if you wanted to.

I've run 87 in my 11:1 with no predet issues. I only did it because that was the only gas available at the time, but normally I run 93 all the time.

4everhonda
09-20-2005, 12:30 PM
That's cool to hear, mine is around 10.5:1 or 11:1 so I think im gonna run 89 from now on because I have that in a 500gal tank at my shop and I wont have to buy it. I usually fun 93, here it now atleast $3 a gallon

AnthonyWhite
09-22-2005, 09:42 PM
I never said it would run better as in give you more horsepower. I was refurring to the engin temps. If you run in XC your bike gets really hot. For ex: My neighbor use to run pump gas on his stock motor and his cooling fan would run constantly. Once he started using race gas his cooling fan never kicked on again thus putting less strain on vital parts from heat. Wich brings me to my conclusion of makeing your bike run better.

prepracing
09-22-2005, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by AnthonyWhite
I never said it would run better as in give you more horsepower. I was refurring to the engin temps. If you run in XC your bike gets really hot. For ex: My neighbor use to run pump gas on his stock motor and his cooling fan would run constantly. Once he started using race gas his cooling fan never kicked on again thus putting less strain on vital parts from heat. Wich brings me to my conclusion of makeing your bike run better.

his fan is probably broken now is why it doesn't run :blah:

AnthonyWhite
09-22-2005, 09:54 PM
could be... but i'v been told that by more then one person. Expert riders even :eek:

AnthonyWhite
09-22-2005, 10:12 PM
Ok, higher octane gas simply means that it burns at less btu's (cooler). The whole reason you use race gas is to eliminate early detonation in the combustion chamberon high comp motors. Race gas allows the use of higher compression pistons because it will not detonate too early like pump gas will. The predetonation is caused by hotspots in the motor igniting the gas. The early detonation in the combustion chaimber puts tons of pressure inside the combustion chaimber and is refurred to as a knock or a ping. The use of race gas in an engin that is not designed for it will not result in better performance. There is actually a chart that you can use to find the optimum octain gas for your motor by mixing race gas with pump gas or by using octain boosters. If you want more information or think im a complete idiot search google or go to Klotz's website or somthing.