PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! With my rear axle bearings

09-21-2001, 07:02 AM
I am TRYING to change out my axle bearings. I go the inner nut and outer nut loose, but I cant get the stop ring out! Is the outer nut supposed to move away from the ring to remove it?
It doesnt matter if i spin the outer nut in or out it never gets any closer or further from the stop ring. WTF? Now i can see axle splines starting to show next to the brake rotor. It seems to me its because the stop ring is in the way and i have unscrewed the outer nut so much that it is pulling on the axle. Does that make any sense? even if i screw the outer nut in till it gets tight it still doesnt clear the stop ring. HHHEEEEELLLLLPPPPPPPPP!!!!
:confused: :confused: :confused:
Thanks, Judd

09-21-2001, 07:12 AM
YOu have to remove that clip on the axle,,,or at least slide it out of that groove,,,Until you move that clip buddy you gonna have a hard time doin anything....;)

09-21-2001, 07:57 AM
RICO, When you say "clip" are you talking about the ring that is right at the outer nut? If so that is what i am talking about(stop ring). How do you remove it? The outer nut wont seperate from the ring, so i cant even open the ring.

CranMan
09-21-2001, 06:24 PM
I know it can be kinda tricky the way those axle nuts seem to work until you get it all apart and see how it works. I think it's something like this: once you get the jam nut loose you can turn the other nut in two directions. one way will just tighten things up. The other way will loosen up the axle, and I think you'll start to see a gap between the adjuster nut assy and the brake rotor hub. Once you get that gap there, you should be able to hit the nut assy twards the brake rotor hub, and it will expose the steel ring on the axle that the assy pushes against when tightening upon the axle. Once you get that ring off the nut assy can slide off to the right and the brake rotor hub will come off and the axle will slide out to the left. I hope that helps, and I *think* it's fairly accuratley :) P.S. if it's never been apart you can count on a hard time and some rust to fight also.

09-21-2001, 08:01 PM
Thanks for your help guys! I got it. all i had to do is hit the nut with a hammer and it slid out of the way. I guess I just neede to sleep on it. You know when you get so into a project that sometimes you overlook the obvious. well I did exactly that. Thanks again, Judd :) :)

09-21-2001, 08:29 PM
Glad to hear the problem is solved! :)

09-24-2001, 12:46 PM
I had myself one heck of an adventure too when replacing my axle,,,glad I could help..