PDA

View Full Version : radiator fan...

One_Bad_400
09-13-2005, 02:57 PM
do any of ya'll TT ridders or MX ridders run fans... i see a few people taking them off... and this past weekend the fan want working on my KFX and at the race my coolant was boiling and spuing out all over the place... but my dad thinks its the oxingenated fuel we were running, becasue it had never happened before...

does a fan actually help that much... becasue all i will be doing with my 40r when i get it it TT and your going fast 90 percent of the time so that mans air is runing threw the shrowds or w/e there called.........

Cody_300ex
09-15-2005, 05:30 PM
Yes, run it. You will regret it in the long run, the weigh drop is not much at all. Im not sure about KFX's but if its like a 450r and has the oil cooler in front of the radiator, move it to below the radiator on the bottom frame rail. More air to the radiator. Even Tim Farr runs a fan. Also it was nice meetin you the other day, you looked pretty good out there. If I go to texas I wont be racing, just spectateing.

09-15-2005, 07:42 PM
I see guys ripping them off their 450r's all the time. crazy. the one on my friends 450r kicks on all the time.

Cody_300ex
09-15-2005, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Lil_300Ex_Kid
Yes, run it. You will regret it in the long run, the weigh drop is not much at all. Im not sure about KFX's but if its like a 450r and has the oil cooler in front of the radiator, move it to below the radiator on the bottom frame rail. More air to the radiator. Even Tim Farr runs a fan. Also it was nice meetin you the other day, you looked pretty good out there. If I go to texas I wont be racing, just spectateing.

One other thing, take the thermosat out and just run a switch to turn the fan on at will. Farr also does this.

09-15-2005, 07:47 PM
why not on all the time. not like it will run the batery doun.

Cody_300ex
09-15-2005, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by mittimj
why not on all the time. not like it will run the batery doun.

If you have ever seen the temperature gauge thing on a 450r, you will see why, its huge, and blocks water flow so its just easier to run a switch so when you feel it getting hot just flip the switch.

09-16-2005, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by Lil_300Ex_Kid
If you have ever seen the temperature gauge thing on a 450r, you will see why, its huge, and blocks water flow so its just easier to run a switch so when you feel it getting hot just flip the switch.

ya, I understand that. but why not have no switch and just wire it so it is on the "on" perminately.

Transplant2
09-16-2005, 08:25 AM
Electricity isn't free. It will provide some drag on the stator...just like when you turn on the headlights. You may not notice it but it will be there.

dunebuggie66
09-16-2005, 08:29 AM
just take the fan, and everything that goes with it off. i have been running my nmotion 520 like this all year (35 races) and have had no problems.

09-16-2005, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Transplant2
Electricity isn't free. It will provide some drag on the stator...just like when you turn on the headlights. You may not notice it but it will be there.

I wonder how much??

R3Concepts
09-16-2005, 10:41 AM
Junk it..I had my bike on the dyno without it, 4 hard pulls and sat there idling, and never boiled over, with no fans on the motor.

09-16-2005, 12:51 PM
I still think I am in the cooler the better club.

mabie if I was running an oversize radiatior (sp??) on his quad then it would be diffrent.

450ss
09-19-2005, 01:06 PM
i wired my fan so i could turn it on and off when ever i want and it is pretty good for trails and on those hot days when your just messing around in a sand pit somewhere. Its just a little chrome on off switch on the gas tank