PDA

View Full Version : cam break ins

400exrules
09-12-2005, 09:02 PM
Im gonna get a drop in cam soon for my 400ex, probably a hotcams stage1, not sure yet. But im confused on the break-in procedures, ive done a ton of searches and read alot about it. Most of what im finding, says to run it over 3,000rpm for atleast 20 min. and dont let it idle. so..........should i ride around with like half throttle for 20 min in 1st gear, or just turn the idle all the way up and leave i for 20 min, and put a fan on it????

im confused

400exrider707
09-12-2005, 09:34 PM
Just run it at varying RPMS but try not to let it idle too much. You are supposed to run it above 3000 RPM's at a varying RPM for like 40 minutes or so. It will explain it all in the instructions with the cam.

mikeboone
09-12-2005, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
Im gonna get a drop in cam soon for my 400ex, probably a hotcams stage1, not sure yet. But im confused on the break-in procedures, ive done a ton of searches and read alot about it. Most of what im finding, says to run it over 3,000rpm for atleast 20 min. and dont let it idle. so..........should i ride around with like half throttle for 20 min in 1st gear, or just turn the idle all the way up and leave i for 20 min, and put a fan on it????

im confused

Just ride it 'normal; with cool down times every so often. Dont let it run at same revs just ride it. It needs moderate break in but it's not going to blow up if you exceed half throttle.

400exrules
09-12-2005, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by mikeboone
Just ride it 'normal; with cool down times every so often. Dont let it run at same revs just ride it. It needs moderate break in but it's not going to blow up if you exceed half throttle.

i just said half throttle, as in, not going below half throttle, so i could stay higher then 3,000rpms. Almost everyone has said, no matter what you do, DONT let it idle, so i guess ill just put around at 1/4-1/2+ throttle and shift some for 20 min. let it cool, and repeat for another 20 min. let it cool. Then change the oil, and ill be ready to get on it hard i guess? When will it be ready for wot drag racing?

cals400ex
09-13-2005, 12:26 AM
i actually just coat the cam with assembly lube and pour oil in the head during every reassembly. i then take it out and run it hard when the bike is up to full temp. however, i am a lot of times breaking in a new piston. the cam really doesn't need too much break in if you ask me. i prefer to get the rings to seal properly. i always run mine hard during break in if i have a new piston in the bike, no matter if i have a new or old cam.