PDA

View Full Version : PEP ZPS or Elka Triple Rates with SSD and Comp. Adjust?

Dave400ex
06-10-2002, 04:33 PM
I am about 4 Weeks away from Ordering my Front Shocks. This is the Hardest Choice I have ever had to make. I have always wanted the PEP`s, but the Elka`s are Cheaper and the Wait is much Shorter. My concern though is the Elka`s are New and not well Proven. Plus I have heard about many Problems with the Elka`s. I don`t want to have any Problems with my Shocks. I am Spending over $1000 so I hope these things are Awesome. I have talked to many XC/GNCC Racers and they all told me to get the PEP`s. One said PEP because Elka is not Proven. I`m not sure what to do. My Friend is going to get the Elka`s so I may wait and ride his to see how they are. I know a lot of you Guys on here have the Elka`s, but I just think the PEP ZPS would be Setup better. My Question is, what do you Guys think about both, and why would you choose one over the other? Money and the Wait is not a Problem. I am willing to Wait longer and Pay more if the PEP`s are really valved that much better. Help me Guys, this is a Hard Choice.

Dave400ex
06-10-2002, 06:43 PM
Come on Guys. Help me out here. What is your Opinions on what I should get or which is better? Thanks.

Poncho
06-10-2002, 06:52 PM
I'm going to order me a set of works tripples with rezzies and if I don't like them I'm going to put them on e-bay and get me a set of pep ZPS. But If I were you I'd get the works then see how much you like them and as you become a better rider you can always get sponsered or move up and get better parts. This just seems to be the logical decision in my opinion. Maybe I'm wrong if so correct me people who have aftermarket shocks.
:p

forum
06-10-2002, 07:13 PM
Nope. Don't go out and buy new works, its a waste of money. for the same price of new works you can get used pep or elka. But back to the pep or elka question. Im in the same boat my friend. But this is how im doing it. Once i decide i have enough money to really start looking im just going to try and find a nice used set of shocks. Im looking for Elka, PEP, Axis, Or mybe TCS. THen if you there what you want buy em. Also why havent you looked into Axis???? you can get front triple preload non adjust for less money then the PEP's. The reason i would get them is cause i got no idea what them knobs do.. hehe. well not really anyway. BUt if your worried about elka then doent get them. But from what i here they have worked out all there earlyer problems. And they have great customer support.

AlaskaSpeed
06-10-2002, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by WarriorMan
Come on Guys. Help me out here. What is your Opinions on what I should get or which is better? Thanks.

You don't listen when people try to help you. How many threads about the damn PEP vs Elka shocks are you going to start before you take the advice you were given.
A ton of people replied to your other thread, what did you get out of it? Time to start another thread with the same question????? BTW what is the best exhaust for a 400ex? What jetting should I run with 6 holes in my airbox lid on a 400ex????? How do you get the swingarm pivot bolt out on a 400ex?????

ALL these questions have been answered MANY times....just like your shock question. I can tell you that it won't matter if you ride your friend's Elka equipped quad unless he is the identical weight and riding style and skill level as you. But I already explained this to you about my friend's PEP Limited Mass shocks in that other thread of yours.....mercy............JIM

Dave400ex
06-10-2002, 07:22 PM
Well the Reason I haven`t looked at Axis is because they are so Expensive. I have always wanted PEP and now Elka is there. I know Elka has great Service and I`m sure Jeff would fix any of my Problems, but I am a little worried about some of the things I hear. The Crossover springs or whatever on wrong, gas not staying up to pressure, and all those other things. I don`t want any of those Problems. I still need more Help Guys. This is to stinking Hard.

Simmer down Jim. In the other Thread I got a lot, but it was still some get PEP or some get Elka. I have to know what to get for sure before I buy them. This is a lot of Money.

Poncho
06-10-2002, 07:24 PM
cool pic:D

Poncho
06-10-2002, 07:27 PM
what does your brother have?:confused:
Oh and one more thing. How can your brother have a 15,000+ quad and you can't afford a set of shocks? Does your parents like him better or something? Or is he older?

Not flaming just wondering:o

AlaskaSpeed
06-10-2002, 07:28 PM
IT FIT MY MOOD after replying to this shock question again.....lol...........JIM

Poncho
06-10-2002, 07:29 PM
Oh Lordy.:eek:

Dave400ex
06-10-2002, 07:32 PM
My Brother has Works and he hates them. I won`t ever buy Works.

My Brother has a Job and I don`t. That`s why his 250r is like it is and why he has all that Stuff. If I had a Job I would just Buy Axis and say the heck with it all.

Jim please simmer down. This is not a Big Deal. It`s easy for you because you have a Job, this is a lot of Money for me and I don`t want ANY problems with Shocks.

Poncho
06-10-2002, 07:35 PM
I understand warriorman but I would just get the elkas if I were in your shoes.:D

I'm going to try the works. I can take a hard landing.:o :eek:

AlaskaSpeed
06-10-2002, 07:36 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by WarriorMan
Well the Reason I haven`t looked at Axis is because they are so Expensive. I have always wanted PEP and now Elka is there. I know Elka has great Service and I`m sure Jeff would fix any of my Problems, but I am a little worried about some of the things I hear. The Crossover springs or whatever on wrong, gas not staying up to pressure, and all those other things. I don`t want any of those Problems. I still need more Help Guys. This is to stinking Hard.

Simmer down Jim. In the other Thread I got a lot, but it was still some get PEP or some get Elka. I have to know what to get for sure before I buy them. This is a lot of Money.

Dude,
You could start a thousand threads and I have news for you...YOU WILL STILL GET PEOPLE ON BOTH SIDES OF THE FENCE....lol.
It is not a question you will get a definite answer to, you have to take all the good info you get, and make an informed decision. No-one is going to decide for you. I ran Elkas for about a year on my 400ex, mostly MX. I am ordering a full set of Elkas for my Cannondale Speed. If they sucked would I put them on my 8000.00 quad? Money is not an issue with me, quality is.........JIM

AlaskaSpeed
06-10-2002, 07:39 PM
almost forgot........my son runs Works on his Redline....this is all the height he can handle to avoid the hard landings..........: ) JIM

bansheeguy77
06-10-2002, 07:43 PM
lol is that u alaska? yea u asked this q like 5 times in the past 2 days. and no if ur going for top of the line out of all the shock manufacturers i think elka is most expensive with 1300 then axis has like 1200 and peps for 900....but u could get some sweet axis for 900....go for axis or pep. u could get some elka for same price but id rather have a proven shock....o btw this is the last time im replying to ur shock posts :blah

Dave400ex
06-10-2002, 07:48 PM
Thanks Jim you helped. This is my last Post on Shocks because I will be ordering them soon and then I won`t have to worry about it. I don`t know why you Guys think this is such a Big Deal. There are many A-Arms Posts and you Guys reply without going Nuts. I`m sorry if I try to research longer and do it more then once. Thanks to all that really Helped.

AlaskaSpeed
06-10-2002, 07:55 PM
if you thought we were freaking out....me freaking out is much more dramatic....trust me! I just wanted to get the point across to you that you will never get an answer to a question like this that is black and white. It is just like asking whether Yamaha or Honda is better...well, that is a simpler question...lol.
I didn't mean to jump your ****, just wanted to give you a little "slap" in the face with my leather glove and snap you out of your nervousness. I understand it is a lot of money for you, but I seriously wouldn't buy the shocks for my Cannondale if I wasn't 100 percent satisfied with them. They inspired confidence and I was able to ride much faster than without them.
K&K ATV has Axis shocks in stock for about 895.00 for front dual rates, which is all you would ever need. Not sure what your budget is, but AXIS are affordable too, and you could always get them upgraded to triple rates later in life when you get a job......JIM

bansheeguy77
06-10-2002, 08:02 PM
yea sorry man didnt mean 2 jump on ya like that either...like alaska said though i think u will notice a huge improvement with any aftermarket shock. that axis for 895 is a good deal...i would go for that or the zps. good luck and have fun with ur new shocks.

Dave400ex
06-10-2002, 08:08 PM
Thanks Guys. I am going to think about it more. I might have a Job if I do then this choice will be much easier. I just want to get these Shocks on my 400 because I know I will be Riding much Faster. Thanks for your help and glad your not Mad.

Blake24
06-10-2002, 08:24 PM
iam making the same decision, and i know i would go with pep in a second if the wait wasn't 10 weeks..........but.......well i have even considered a pair of works w/rezzies and getting some nice a arms to go with um........I DONT KNOW!!!

BadA$$440
06-10-2002, 08:53 PM
So how long is the waiting line for some Peps these days?

Dave400ex
06-10-2002, 09:18 PM
The shortest I could find was 10-12 Weeks by Baldwin. Most Guys say they Wait 3 Months at the least. I am starting to think the Elka`s would be Good. I`m not a Pro so I don`t need the Top of the Line PEP ZPS. Choices.

Nausty
06-10-2002, 09:29 PM
I would go with the elka I have so much more confidence and I jump anything I want with them and they absorb everything with ease and it sits lower so it handles WAYYY better with the ssd. I think they are great and I don't know about talking to the gnc racers because they are probably sponsored and have been given deals to promote the companies product. I think with that extra money and with the wait time you would be better off to get elka triple rates with comp adjust and rear rebuild and put the extra money into your motor and if the pep or axis shocks are better they probably arn't much better.

Dave400ex
06-10-2002, 10:02 PM
Well I emailed a Guy from Full Throttle MX and he is giving me great info on the Elka`s. I asked some more Questions and if I get some more Good Answers I like then I think I will get the Elka`s from him. Thanks a lot you Guys. I think you convinced me to get the Elka`s. I like the idea of saving Money.

beerock
06-10-2002, 10:29 PM
hey warrior man I just thought I would let you know that elka has changed there shocks a bit.

they use to have trouble with the comp adjusters and had knob adjustable rebound adjustments.They change the comp adj knobs(they dont freeze anymore) and they are using the rebound adjuster that is used on stock rear shocks(you need a flat head to adjust it), which gives an inch or more travel in the suspension, since theres no adjuster knob taking an inch away.

they have also changed there cross over spring seat set up.

they now use equal length spring seats and aluminum cross over rings(they use to use a plastic seat which varied in length depending on when you wanted the spring to cross over)-now they use the aluminum rings like everyone else.(so you odnt have to worry about putting the spring seats in backwards and screwing up your crossover points.

How do I know this?

my friend jason(racer x573) had botth the old elkas and the new ones. he got a brand new set recently because the guy who rrebuilt his old elkas completely destroyed the shocks when jason was practicing(they fell apart during practice) the piece that screws into the shock body came out and the whole insides went every where)

I didint want elkas, but john natalie uses them on his race bike, and he is going to attempt a 150 ft jump on a herrmann chassis using elkas.

I just might get the quad rates full adjustable elkas.........

because of this new information I have learned, I feel the shocks are just as good as axis.
if you want the same performance as a axis or pep, go to baldwin motor sports and have them revalve your shocks....

Nausty
06-10-2002, 10:59 PM
From all the updates and service elka does to there shocks I wouldnt' be surprised if they were the top shock builders in the near future. Do you think the 150ft jump will be in h5?

indygncc
06-10-2002, 11:17 PM
Warriorman: Go with the Elka's. I run them in the stock class with out cans. And they are still a great shock. They are built identical to an Axis You will be amazed with their customer service and craftmanship. As far as the people complaining about Elka, well people always find problems. Go for Elka! Get them through Jeff@QuadShop and then call Elka direct and tell them how good Jeff promotes their shocks... That might help Jeff out some in the future with Elka. Good Luck!

kabd69667
06-11-2002, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by beerock

I just might get the quad rates full adjustable elkas.........
[/B]
You don't need rebound adjustments. They give you less travel and are extremely difficult to adjust

Dave400ex
06-11-2002, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the Info on the changes Beerock. Sounds like most of the Problems I have heard are fixed.

IndyGNCC, Did you Race at Kingman a couple Weeks ago? I think I will get the Elka`s. Most of the Problems I was worried about are taken care of or can be if I have Problems. I might get them from the Quadshop, but I think the Guy from Full Throttle MX is going to get them to me Cheaper. Plus I have talked to him so much I think I would like to Buy them from him. He said if I have any Problems to send them to him and then he will send them to Elka on his charge. Plus Elka valves and builds the Shocks, he just sells them like C&D does. I think I will get them from Him. I am still thinking about it.

Dave400ex
06-11-2002, 12:57 PM
Well I am going to get the Elka`s. I talked to Scott from Full Throttle MX and I think I will get the Shocks from him. Has anybody else get their Shocks from him? He seems to be a Great Guy I just want to see what other Guys have to say and check on his Service. I guess the first time you have to trust the person like you Guys did with the Quadshop and C&D. You Guys don`t find anything wrong with me getting them from him do you? Thanks.

400exBro
06-11-2002, 03:35 PM
sounds like elka is going for #1, they aren't playing around....
but i still like my works, for the riding i do which is mx but like you said warrior man, you aren't pro so you don't need pro shocks, i can see that, like me i am not pro so i don't need the elka or peps, so hey go out and get them elkas and i bet you will be happy...
Bro

06-12-2002, 10:59 AM
hey warrior man I just thought I would let you know that elka has changed there shocks a bit.

.they have also changed there cross over spring seat set up.

they now use equal length spring seats and aluminum cross over rings(they use to use a plastic seat which varied in length depending on when you wanted the spring to cross over)-now they use the aluminum rings like everyone else.(so you odnt have to worry about putting the spring seats in backwards and screwing up your crossover points.

How do I know this?

Funny..ESR250R just got his elkas one month ago and his has the plastic ones??????? ...even funnier..he talk to eka yesterday to get some different rate springs and asked them about this aluminum cross over ring..they said that the person that said it must be a Dumb*****..

guess your information is wrong....ah.

beerock
06-12-2002, 06:44 PM
well they may have called me a dumb *** but if there still using that setup then there the dumb asses.

racerx573 told me they switched that.

maybe elka gave your friend a old pair of shocks.

I know one thing though lrd....

06-12-2002, 06:46 PM
hahahahahahhahhahahahahahahahha, lol, ahahahahahahaa

beerock
06-12-2002, 06:47 PM
I think nausty is rubbing off on me....:blah

06-12-2002, 06:48 PM
ow..that was almost original dumbass....ohh yeah..hows that spray paint holding up chief.

400exRacerX
06-12-2002, 06:49 PM
My works are fine for me,,, but my next shocks are going to be axis all the way around.

If I had to make a choice between PEP zps and Elka I would most def. buy the PEP's.

Norm

beerock
06-12-2002, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by LRD TRX416EX
ow..that was almost original dumbass....ohh yeah..hows that spray paint holding up chief. better than your 250r motor and 400ex motor that you built and ruined :blah

06-12-2002, 06:51 PM
I like nausty rubbing on me....:blah
Thats pretty sick man

06-12-2002, 06:51 PM
lol, that was great, hahahaha

06-12-2002, 06:52 PM
lol bee, lol

06-12-2002, 06:52 PM
cool..to bad i'll have pics of the current project up by the end of this week...s i am done fightingwith you know cause your dumb and everyone knows it.

06-12-2002, 06:54 PM
wimp out already

Poncho
06-12-2002, 06:55 PM
MGRATHSUCKS don't get mad :D

mrusk
06-12-2002, 06:57 PM
400exRacerX- Man lately you really been pouring lots of money into your bike! You should of gotten out of it before you spent so much and got a R! But now you proably have one of the nicest 400s around.

I got Elkas for my R. I havnt rode on them yet tho, but i am sure they will be great for me. I do not have the skill tim farr has so why do i need those shocks? When the elkas start holding me back i'll sell them. But i dont see that happening in the next 2 years. Any way my R is going to end up being my practice quad in a year and a half two years.

matt

beerock
06-12-2002, 06:58 PM
good one lrd but:

Dave400ex
06-12-2002, 06:59 PM
Well Guys I see the PEP`s are in the Lead, but I think I am going to go with the Elka`s. Some day Elka will be just as Good as the PEP`s. If the Elka`s are Good enough for Rico to buy, then I think they are good enough for me. My friend is going to get them and so is Blake24. Plus I will now have the Money for the Fronts in 3 more Weeks and I won`t have to Wait as long for them. Money and Wait is more of a concern then I thought, so the Elka`s are right for me. They are better then the Stockers by far and better then Works. I shouldn`t have any Problems, if I do I know Elka will fix them. Thanks Guys but I am getting the Elka`s. Now I just have to find the Cheapest Place. I might get them from Full Throttle MX.

mrusk
06-12-2002, 07:00 PM
I have the more respect for BEEROCK than anyone else on this board!!!

Yo beerock when do you want to go riding?

matt

06-12-2002, 07:01 PM
even more than me???

beerock
06-12-2002, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by mrusk
I have the more respect for BEEROCK than anyone else on this board!!!

Yo beerock when do you want to go riding?

matt

well, wired wants my shocks and my mehcanical seal is blown

im gonna figure something out sooon......

ill let ya know.
I need to start working on my boat

06-12-2002, 07:05 PM
bee, teach lrd how its done!!

400exRacerX
06-12-2002, 07:08 PM
HELLL YEah Broque you tell him whats up.

06-12-2002, 07:15 PM
man, im gunna enjoy this till it gets obliterated!!

06-12-2002, 07:42 PM
beerock what are you? you look tan in that pic, almost like "mexican" lol jk
dude you crack me up. hopefully you'll be my boss when you open up a store and i can work for you. lol
lol
Matrix

06-12-2002, 07:43 PM
yea, im comin to work for yas too

beerock
06-12-2002, 07:52 PM
I'm sicilian..........

Dave400ex
06-12-2002, 07:54 PM
Well I can see this Post getting the Button from Rico. lol. This is Funny though. Go Beerock. lol.

06-12-2002, 07:55 PM
yea it will, but we can all enjoy it while it lasts

Tommy 17
06-12-2002, 08:06 PM
haha beerock u da man!!! i thought u were funny in person.... ur a riot on here!

Wired
06-12-2002, 08:22 PM
oh man ive been laughing very loudly for like 20 mins now... i cant get over them two pics, beerock rules! :D

06-12-2002, 08:24 PM
bee is the man!! :) :D

Dave400ex
06-12-2002, 09:07 PM
He is the Man for sure.

Guys I sat down and I am having some doubts about the Elka`s. I am still thinking about getting the PEP`s. I would like to Save the Money by getting the Elka`s, but for some reason I just have a bad feeling about them. I just think if I get the PEP`s I would feel better. Man this is to Hard.

06-12-2002, 09:15 PM
pep

ESR250R
06-12-2002, 10:06 PM
hey i called up elka to tell them that i never recieved my covers and they asked me how i like the shocks. i told them that the fronts were a little stiff but i liked them alot. he told me to call him back the next day with the number on the bottom spring and they would send me out 2 new springs and the covers with them. i asked him if they were going to change there crossover springs if i can could get some of the new ones. and he said they still use the gray plastic crossovers.

ESR250R
06-12-2002, 10:10 PM
hey bee just curious were exactly were u surfing when u found that first picture u posted.

06-12-2002, 10:19 PM
who knows, its bee, and its was very funny

beerock
06-13-2002, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by WarriorMan
He is the Man for sure.

Guys I sat down and I am having some doubts about the Elka`s. I am still thinking about getting the PEP`s. I would like to Save the Money by getting the Elka`s, but for some reason I just have a bad feeling about them. I just think if I get the PEP`s I would feel better. Man this is to Hard.

I hear ya I'm starting to think about it too, I dont know why racerx573 said they had aluminum crossovers.-I showed him this thread and he still said they do have the aluminum cross overs.
so I dont know whats goin on.

esr250r said:

he said they still use the gray plastic crossovers.

If lrd didnt have to be a jack *** he could have brought some info to the table without making comments, but hey its lrd and he dont like me, like I care :macho

ive ridden pep zps and there awesome.

I truly believe the elkas will be as good as axis.

pep will always have the best valving.
BUT
you can get your elkas valved from someone who knows how to copy peps valving, and then maybe change the crossover/spring seat.to a REAL SETUP- Ie: aluminum crossover spring ans SEPARATE equal length spring seats

mrusk
06-13-2002, 12:18 PM
I wonder if baldwin could do pep valving in my shocks when i get them rebuilt in the winter. Than i would have the best shocks.

Warriorman- Dont go mental decided about shocks. If you arnt sure just get the peps. You wont ever regret them. It aint worth it getting all bent outta shape over shocks.

matt

beerock
06-13-2002, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by mrusk

Warriorman- Dont go mental decided about shocks. If you arnt sure just get the peps. You wont ever regret them. It aint worth it getting all bent outta shape over shocks.

matt dude ive been going crazy trying to decide for 2 months now.

elka
pep
axis
oh whats this tcs is using new shock bodies ohhhhhhh greeeeaaaaat

makes my decision so much easier........:mad:

06-13-2002, 12:37 PM
well, axis it is bee, ur choice got easeir

airheadedduner
06-13-2002, 01:06 PM
You get what you pay for. The PEPs are more adjustable, plus they are the most proven racing shock out there. Way more people run PEP's then AXis, nearly everyone runs them. The elka's could dissipoint you, I have heard a lot of problems with them and there design is cheap. I doubt you would be dissipointed with PEP.

kabd69667
06-13-2002, 01:06 PM
yea, the only reason why i would pick pep or elka over axis is that if i wanted the zps feature.

06-13-2002, 01:10 PM
people run pep more beacuse its cheaper, and, im thinkin axis has a zps like system, but they dont call it zps

trx400ex
06-13-2002, 01:19 PM
this

airheadedduner
06-13-2002, 01:28 PM
The Axis setup is not ZPS. They got some other thing goin. Somethin about downtraval. I am getting Axis if the ones from K&K for 895 are fully adjustable. If not I am getting TCS. For 850 they are fully adjustable and I have not heard any complaints about them.

beerock
06-13-2002, 02:46 PM
tcs is using elka bodies from what I heard.....

racerx573
06-13-2002, 02:51 PM
The Elkas have the SSD which is very similar to zero-preload, it allows a lot of sag. They are very similar to TCS or Axis, because those are not "true" zero preload. I think PEP has the only "tue" zero preload. My Elkas have metal crossovers. I have the latest models (I got them last Sunday 6/9). The Elka guys told me the shocks have changed a lot since they came out, I know this for a fact because I had a set of Early model Elkas. If you're switching from Works to Elkas you will like the Elkas a lot more. I rode PEP ZPS the same day as my Elkas, except I put my Elka main spring on. It was a close call, I'd say 51 PEP, and 49 Elka, if I could do it all over again I would get the ZPS though.

Zero Z400
06-13-2002, 03:31 PM
If u can get the elka's that racerx573 has then i would get those. But if not i would get the Pep's. I thnk with the Pep's u'll never look back, or regret it. Either way, if u get a shock valved for you i think you'll be happy:D I got another question while were talking about shocks; I saw in dirtwheels that their is a company called Pro-trac (sp?) They said the Euro champ used them but thier is no atv stuff on their site. I'm kinda curious about them too... Also, why don't people ever talk about TCS or Ohlins??? I havn't read about any big problems and the C-dales come w/ the Ohlins.

Later

kabd69667
06-13-2002, 04:53 PM
Axis does not have any kind of zps or ssd system as of right now

mrusk
06-13-2002, 05:15 PM
Axis runs alot of sag.

matt

James70214
06-13-2002, 05:17 PM
Axis does have a zps system I had them on my 400. Still nothing compares to my newe PEP ZPS. They are king.

06-13-2002, 05:18 PM
i thought they had a saggin kind

mrusk
06-13-2002, 05:22 PM
James one reason you proably think the peps are so much better than the axis because ur peps are triple rate and ur axis were dual. Also your axis werent adjustable. The extended aarms also make your R handle better. So i really dont think you can just say pep is king because of the experience you have.

matt

Blake24
06-13-2002, 06:18 PM
i think i decided on elka.......they have great customer service and i can get Elka Triple rates SSD comp adj. for 200 dollars cheaper than pep zps........

beerock
06-13-2002, 06:45 PM
hey thats 200 bucks you could put towards a nice set of carbon beadlocks ;) :D :cool:

Dave400ex
06-13-2002, 08:20 PM
Well again I don`t think I would have any Problems with the PEP`s, but I think I might take the chance with the Elka`s. I know my other Friend and Blake24 are going to get the Elka`s instead of the PEP`s. I guess my Question is as a 15 Year Old do I really need the PEP`s for just Rec Riding and Local XC Racing? I don`t really think so and with the Money I save I can get some OMF Race Rims and Maxxis Razrs. I think the Elka`s will be Great as long as I don`t have any Problems, and like many say, Elka has Great Customer Service and I think they would help or fix any of my Problems.

Plus I got to get my 400 Race Ready and then save for a Truck because as of right now I have no Money for a Truck or anything it all goes to the 400, but I don`t want to Race when I`m 50, I can have a nice Truck then. lol.

cdalejef
06-13-2002, 08:52 PM
tcs is using elka bodies from what I heard.....
Where did you here that Bee? Marty has pictures from when he went up there last summer of them making the parts.

mrusk
06-13-2002, 08:56 PM
Warriorman good decision. And think about it. If you do well with that riding in the woods thing you can proably get sponsdered and get some peps pretty cheap. My friend got sponsered by axis and paid 1000 for his front and rear shocks.

matt

Dave400ex
06-13-2002, 08:57 PM
Jeff do you know anything about the Metal or Plastic Crossovers on the Elka`s?

Mrusk I was thinking about that too. By then maybe Elka will be on Top, I don`t know.

cdalejef
06-13-2002, 09:06 PM
I got 13 pairs of fronts in yesterday and they all had the plastic rings. They had alum. rings up untill this past winter and people complained that they maid too much noise so they went with the plastic.

rowlrag
06-13-2002, 09:43 PM
warrior"boy"
Marty at the Quadshop rebuilds and revalves the Elkas, so think where you buy, just a thought, when if you need work done you send them back to someone then they send to Elka then Elka sends back to them then they send back to you??? Souns like alot of down time to me.

Beerock almost knows too much, or probably not enough????:square

zzbudzz
06-13-2002, 10:29 PM
ok what is a cross over ring . the spacer between the springs?

airheadedduner
06-14-2002, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by James70214
Axis does have a zps system I had them on my 400. Still nothing compares to my newe PEP ZPS. They are king.

Axis are not ZPS. I am not sure, but I don't think elka are either(anyone know for sure?). TCS and PEP use the zero preload set up. Does anyone know exactly how the Axis work?? Must just be magic. Just because it sags don't mean it is zps. I have about a little over 3 inches of sag in my rear shock and it is stock with an LRD long traval kit.

kabd69667
06-14-2002, 06:23 AM
YES!!!!!!!!! Elka uses SSD, which means self sag device. The same meaning as Pep's zps, zero preload system. I think on some axis you may be able to adjust the ride height, but i maybe wrong.

Dave400ex
06-14-2002, 09:46 AM
I`m not sure where to get them. I know I am getting them from Full Throttle MX, the Quadshop, or C&D Racing. I think C&D is giving me the Best Price right now, but I need to ask the Quadshop will give them to me for.

beerock
06-16-2002, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
I got 13 pairs of fronts in yesterday and they all had the plastic rings. They had alum. rings up untill this past winter and people complained that they maid too much noise so they went with the plastic.

to answer this jeff:

Originally posted by racerx573
My Elkas have metal crossovers. I have the latest models (I got them last Sunday 6/9). The Elka guys told me the shocks have changed a lot since they came out, I know this for a fact because I had a set of Early model Elkas.
I realy think its stupid to change to a plastic ring because people were complaining about them making noise. the peps make the noise too BIG DEAL ,its a characteristic of the crossover rings. elka switching to the plastic piecees was stupid in my opinion.

I actually like elkas ssd set up better then the peps, because the ssd spring is a heavier spring, that little zps spring allows the main springs to slap the top of the shock like a hammer- thats gonna cause some sort of damage, whether it be on the shock or the frame.......thought I luv the peps valving........

rowlag said:

Beerock almost knows too much, or probably not enough????

my good friend with the ct330 told me about tcs using elka bodies, I did say "from what I heard" so quit your knockin rowlag
I guess my friend was wrong?I tried to call him, but got no answer.

but why would racerx573 lie?
he races and he knows what a crossover spring is.......

forum
06-16-2002, 12:26 PM
Ok people. all the shocks have their ups and downs. SOme people have different opinions. Axis, PeP, Elka they are all high quility shocks. THey each have their ups and downs. Some people say Axis are to harsh, Some people say Elka's are to soft, Some people say PeP don't compare to ELka. Just Go with your gut feeling you don't wanna be sitting there after you bought the things thinking, o geez mybe i should have bought the other one's. Just remmeber. PEP= Long wait, Axis= High price, Elka=??? I can't think of anything that is a definate bad thing about them.. And don't even say They are new to building shocks. They've been building Shocks for years and years but for snowmobiles. So there qulity is very high. they just had to get there setup's fine tuned for atv use. and I think they have after a few years. So go out and buy a new set of elka's. but get compression only adjust because you get less travel with rebound. I am getting elka's as soon as i sell my banshee.

Dave400ex
06-16-2002, 12:44 PM
I agree with Beerock, RacerX573 should know if he has Metal or Plastic Crossover Spring.

I am going to get the Elka`s. I am getting the Triple Rate Fronts with SSD and Comp. Adjust. Then I will save for the Rear Rebuild.

forum
06-16-2002, 12:47 PM
good man

Dave400ex
06-16-2002, 01:07 PM
Yeah I am going to get some Shock Covers too. Then I will get my OMF Rims and Razr Tires.

mrusk
06-16-2002, 06:58 PM
Warriorman if your stock rims are good, dont get the omf and spend the money on motor work instead. Because if you dont get the rims you should have money for the piston and the tc cam. Dont buy the piston for tom if you can get it somewhere else cheaper.

matt

Dave400ex
06-16-2002, 07:35 PM
Well my Stock Rims are a little Bent up. I just think if I hit a Rock or something else the Stock Rims would Bend. I am still thinking about it. I do want a 416 Piston and Cam though. In 3 more Weeks I will have the Money for the Front Shocks and then Save for the Rear.