PDA

View Full Version : running no link

450robot
09-12-2005, 07:16 PM
well, i have this brand new cdale fully adjustable ohlin shock

and i wanted to know, the 450r and cdale shock are almost the same length, but the cdale doesnt have that two prong connector part to bolt to the link

so i was thinking running the cdale shock from the chassis mount right to the swingarm... i bolted it up tonight, and the ride hieght is the same as stock, but since its not hooked up to the link, the shock angle was dramatically changed

how do yout think it will work?

dirtriderex
09-12-2005, 07:37 PM
post some pictures of that, I never heard of anyone doing this:huh .

416exmx
09-12-2005, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by 450robot
well, i have this brand new cdale fully adjustable ohlin shock

and i wanted to know, the 450r and cdale shock are almost the same length, but the cdale doesnt have that two prong connector part to bolt to the link

so i was thinking running the cdale shock from the chassis mount right to the swingarm... i bolted it up tonight, and the ride hieght is the same as stock, but since its not hooked up to the link, the shock angle was dramatically changed

HORRIBLY!!!

turboTony
09-12-2005, 07:48 PM
i bolted it up tonight, and the ride hieght is the same as stock, but since its not hooked up to the link, the shock angle was dramatically changed
how do yout think it will work? [/B]
You should be telling us... :D

450robot
09-12-2005, 09:38 PM
i will post pics and results tommorrow

it looks good, but it seems stiff, buti havent messed with the comp or rebound settings yet, but we shall find out

Jersey450R
09-13-2005, 05:36 AM

Just like a pogo stick! You think the buck is bad now...?

rotz66801
09-13-2005, 05:47 AM
It would bottom out alot sooner and probably break something. And that something may be your back :eek:

balzout
09-13-2005, 06:38 AM
jp racing now lonestar used to use a no link rear suspension worked well....and one of the first lobo chassis the rear shock was almost parallel with the swingarm....what ever happen to these ideas well i dunno...guess they didnt work well enough...

Transplant2
09-13-2005, 07:45 AM
The 350x has no link...but the shock was setup for that. When you take the link out you take away the mechanical advantage. Just make sure it won't bottom out and soften it up. But don't expect too much without shock rework.

ajr400ex
09-13-2005, 07:45 AM
Not Good! Unless you do the proper work to ensure the travel is right. The valving and motion ratio will most likely be off. The shock travel most likely will not be correct as well. Good chance you could bottom out by mechanical interference vs. the shock bottoming (i.e. caliper hits exhaust, swingarm busts the airbox, etc.)

450robot
09-13-2005, 05:34 PM
heres the pic, im gonna try it out tommorrow
the shok angle looks close to the cdales, so it may be okay, but im not expecting much

but owell

fastrider450r
09-13-2005, 06:15 PM
i no the 300ex comes without a link but that was also made for it...this may not end well:( :ermm:

fastrider450r
09-13-2005, 06:18 PM
nor last very long

ThumPIN_450R
09-13-2005, 08:29 PM
looks like shock and air box clearance may be an issue in that pic

protraxrptr17
09-13-2005, 08:29 PM
The only way to improve something is to change it. If it doesn't work, so what...

86atc250r
09-13-2005, 09:39 PM
The only way to improve something is to change it. If it doesn't work, so what...

Yeah, but improvements don't just happen by randomly changing things and hoping for the best.

A no-link setup can work very well if set up properly --- what do you think the chances are of this configuration just happening to be setup properly? Not real good.

Guess what happens when your shock setup is not correct? That's right, it sucks - regardless of what type of linkage you're running or if you're running a linkage at all

If you're going to try to change things, why not take the time to educate yourself about what you are doing before injuring yourself and/or breaking stuff -- I know, it sounds crazy but it might just be worth a try...

DirtDevilBT
09-15-2005, 12:38 AM
AAAAAhahaha

Yeah Gabe, like we have time to think things through. RIDE IT and give us a report. The link is there to provide the proper leverage against the shock per length of swinger/ travel. Don't drag racer or ice racers do that no link stuff, something about getting rid of suspension travel and getting the bike to launch more forward for better times/ traction? I dunno, seen it a couple time but that was only on EBay.:p

chris450R
09-15-2005, 09:11 AM
well as you all know the spread-a-turds have a no-link rear shock setup. and they work pretty good. only way to see if the ohlins from the c-dale when will ok is to take it for a test ride. i just wouldn't over do it though. hell if it works good enough for your liking then i say keep it.

450robot
09-15-2005, 12:49 PM
i tried it today, and its a back breaker, waaaaaayyyyy to stiff, it needs the link lol

WhiteZee
09-15-2005, 05:57 PM
DEE DEE DEE