PDA

View Full Version : Green ceramic paint

AnthonyWhite
09-12-2005, 03:23 PM
Has anybody ever her of green ceramic paint? I would like to paint my head pipe green but im not sure If they even make paint that will withstand the high temps.

2004exrider
09-12-2005, 08:55 PM
the paint your talkin about can only handle up to 500 degrees. im pretty sure it would start to peel off or just discollor really bad.

jimmy

AnthonyWhite
09-13-2005, 09:48 PM
yea i tried that engin paint and it just burned off about a foot down, the rest is fine for now. I guess i could try they new stuff that says it goes up to 1200 degrees but im sure it would do the same thing.

tater_kamik
09-14-2005, 02:57 AM
if its the junk they sell at walmart and the local autozone, its junk! it burns off, smokes, smells bad, and is just a waste of money. buddy did it on his yfz and that is what happened... and that was the 1200 degrees stuff

cals400ex
09-14-2005, 12:40 PM
i have my header thermal coated. the coating company i went with uses pure ceramic, thus it comes back pearl white. we are then supposed to paint the exhaust the color of our choice. i did two exhaust systems. i painted one aluminum and the other one black. on both of them i used the 1200 degree paint. it does not burn off. over time it may chip off if it gets hit, but not bad at all. mine have been really durable, but maybe the paint sticks to the rough textured ceramic better than it would the header. i would make sure the header is cleaned with acetone or something and then roughen up the surface so it sticks better.

2004exrider
09-14-2005, 03:12 PM
i painted mine black with some cheap paint (the 1200 stuff) in march and its still holding up fine. ive had it covered with a sand/mud mix, been beaten by weeds and what not, and power washed it. Like cal said if its done rite it should hold up pretty good. here's mine...