PDA

View Full Version : couple questions

blackwell17
09-11-2005, 10:07 PM
first...neutral light doesnt come on when in neutral...where do I start to diagnose the problem because I would like for this to be functional.

second...if the bike is running and I turn off the key, the bike doesnt turn off. It wont turn on unless it is turned to the on position though...kinda weird. Anyone elses like this?

what oil do you guys run...and do you have to change the oil filter each time? This is all new to me as I changed from 2 stroke to 4 stroke. This is my first 4 stroke bike and am lovin it.

BTW, I have a 400 ex with the 440 kit.

400exc
09-12-2005, 06:44 AM
well i use honda oil, i get it at my local honda shop, and you should change the oil filter every other oil change, thats what i think it says in the manual, but dont know the answers to your other questions

Chino886
09-12-2005, 07:14 AM
I would check all the wiring, under the front fenders. Then I would check the bulb in the neutral light switch. As for the key switch, I don't know.

EXracer83
09-12-2005, 02:50 PM
Check all the wires under the front plastic. We used to mess with the little kids around here and unplug one of the wires and we would be riding real fast and just turn the key off and pull it out and tell them to hang on to it but the bike was still running, man the look on their face was hilarious. Anyway just check the wires make sure none of them are unplugged and check the bulb on the neutral light.

skaydogg
09-12-2005, 04:18 PM
i use amsoil 10/40w and there oil filter,amsoil is fully synthectic,it is good stuff,they did lab tests on it,and i noticed that my machine rpms alots faster with that oil.Amsoil claims that you only have to change the filter not the oil,every3000 miles,and just top off oil,but i change my oil once a year,and i ride just about every other sunday for 8 hours. the oil stays really clean,ask or see some of the racers,they know! i have also heard that torco is good oil too.

ride_red666
09-12-2005, 05:28 PM
for the neutral light, there is a connection by the chain guard that you should check, cause i had the same problem and that was all it was. i run honda 10w40 oil mine and i change the filter everytime i change the oil but only when it is black in color. but dont know how to fix the turn off switch problem

blackwell17
09-12-2005, 06:04 PM
thanks for the replies guys...I think I am going to go with the Amsoil fully synthetic.

im gonna check all the connections and stuff Thursday to check the neutral light and stuff. Im not too worried about the on/off switch but I would like to get it figured out sooner or later.

blackwell17
09-18-2005, 10:31 AM
ok i went through and checked all the fuses and stuff and everything looked ok. I figured out that I dont have to hve the kill switch on either to start up the quad, just the key turned on. Sounds like a faultly wiring harness almost.

-Tail light doesnt work (its not the bulb)
-Neutral light doesnt work cuz I looked and there is a wire that I think is spose togo in to the engine block somewhere and it isnt connected.
-Quad starts without the on/off to the on position and with the key on
-Quad wont shut off with the key, only the on/off

any ideas?????