PDA

View Full Version : Camping at Little Sahara

09-11-2005, 07:06 PM
Just a FWIW...the city of Waynoka has now opened a trail from the North Campground, up to Waynoka. The trail sort of ends at the Elm Park on the west side of town and you can camp there.

The problem is that due to state laws, the trail has to be closed at sundown. So you have to do your riding during the day.

So, if you can stand to just ride during the day, this is another option if the other campgrounds are full.

It is a bit cheaper than the state park also, I think.

kazpr
09-12-2005, 01:41 AM
Ya hoping to make the trip down there but with the road being blocked off now will be WAY to many people there I am thinking.
:(

zephead400ex
09-12-2005, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by kazpr
Ya hoping to make the trip down there but with the road being blocked off now will be WAY to many people there I am thinking.
:(

It just depends on when you make a trip. I would say on any given weekend after Labor Day, as long as you get to the dunes fairly early on Friday, you should get a good camping spot. If you get there late Friday or on Saturday, you'll probably find a spot but it might be a spot you have to settle for.

Does anyone know if the new bike shop and bar have been rebuilt/fix since the tornado took them out?

DaleJrFan
09-12-2005, 07:33 PM
when i was up there a couple of weeks ago, they were both repaired. other than all the water on the dunes, you couldn't tell that june was a bad weather month in waynoka.

aviator4
09-14-2005, 11:55 AM
Yeah, as it stands right now, it's as though they never had any bad weather.

In fact, the Heel Clicker has added on. They now have pool halls and a bar. Right now it's just beer, but they are working on the harder stuff.

As of right now, there are no spots left in the South Campground. I don't know about the north though.

Chino886
09-14-2005, 12:32 PM
I was down there over the 4th of july and the storms that rolled in on the 4th were nasty, we took shelter in one of the bathrooms on the South end. The website says there is plenty of water on the dunes so be careful y'all

aviator4
09-14-2005, 12:34 PM
Yup, right now there are pools at the bases of most of the larger dunes with the exception of (whats left of) buttercup. It's been sitting a while so it's pretty nasty water. I dont think I'd be riding through it.

Chino886
09-14-2005, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by aviator4
Yup, right now there are pools at the bases of most of the larger dunes with the exception of (whats left of) buttercup. It's been sitting a while so it's pretty nasty water. I dont think I'd be riding through it.

on our first night ride the weekend of the 4th, I got caught by one and thrown over the handlebars, I was turned around watching for my buddies and I heard water and tried to peg it, no luck. It sucked, 30 minute ride back to camp, dripping wet, good think, the bike stayed right side up, no damage at all.

aviator4
09-14-2005, 12:40 PM
Yeah, you got lucky!

We're going to be down at sandfest. We will be in the RV between Little Sahara Sand Sports and the office, come on down and say hi, everyone!

Chino886
09-14-2005, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by aviator4
Yeah, you got lucky!

We're going to be down at sandfest. We will be in the RV between Little Sahara Sand Sports and the office, come on down and say hi, everyone!

Yeah, I won't be able to make it this weekend, I will be down on 10/20/05. a bunch of my boys will be down there this weekend and next weekend. look for a black 450R with an 816 sticker on it, thats my bro.