PDA

View Full Version : Polaris Predator 90

Pappy
09-11-2005, 03:57 PM
We are currently looking at a 2 stroke mini to add to our race program. The Polaris 90 sure has been doing well in local events and the nationals in basically stock form.

if anyone has any info on these quads or expierence with them in a racing capacity, please post away!

Sjorge450R
09-11-2005, 05:27 PM
i have one and its awesome. I weigh 130 lbs and close to 6' and i have no problem taking in top 5 finishes. Now imagine some one smaller and lighter than me on one. Just look into hetricks for the parts... they have a big inventory.

predator dad
09-12-2005, 03:07 AM
My son rides an 05 Predator 90 modded by Hetricks. He doesn't race because there aren't enough youth quads in our area,but he tears up the track when we ride at the tracks on open practice days.

yamaha803
09-12-2005, 09:31 AM
im sponsered by hetrick and in my opinion they have the fastest minis and mods on the track. And in my opinion the best youth rider Joel Hetrick!
Epley #803

yamaha803
09-12-2005, 09:34 AM
and check out their new production mod it BAD!

Arctic Cat Dad
09-12-2005, 11:46 AM
I've looked at them also. I like them alot. They do have reverse which may help in a bottleneck in a race for a little 1. They are fast in stock form and the sky is the limit. Plus I think they are the badest looking mini . Why your at it build me 1 :D Just joking. I've seen some wicked little Preditors on the web.

JenniferRath
09-12-2005, 02:13 PM
Pappy-
We actually built three of them up for racing- with 4 little boys coming up through the ranks and with Daryl's relationship with Polaris it made sense- right now the 10 year old and the 8 year old are racing them. If you have some time just call the shop I am sure Daryl would help give you some feedback!
We have even been doing some testing with some float shocks on the mini's with Fox... talk about cool!!

Pappy
09-12-2005, 02:29 PM
thanks for the comments

i just finished posting a review on the Polaris.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=181217

cnichols
09-16-2005, 08:02 AM
My son has been racing the stock class on this '05 Predator 90 this year and done nothing but continue to climb to the front in his class. One of the best minis we have bought yet and lots of aftermarket alternatives to move into the mod classes. Ditto on the best looking mini!! We have the Orange version and are adding a lot of aftermarket components powdercoated black over the winter. Can't wait to get it tricked out! It has my two thumbs up:D

Pappy
09-16-2005, 08:04 AM
we are expecting ups to deliver the go fast goodies needed to turn this tame little quad into a roost throwing half pint monster:p

pipe, reeds and intake, carb, clutch kit, sprockets and chain and more are due here today and if all goes well installed tonight, tested on saturday and raced on sunday:D

450robot
09-16-2005, 12:05 PM
awsome pappy! ive always like the looks of the mini preds, there are alot of them around where i race, and they all do really well... im guessing this pred is gonna replace codys trx90?

Pappy
09-16-2005, 10:00 PM
all the mods are installed. runs like a raped ape!

predator dad
09-17-2005, 02:58 AM
Looks great. The hardest part of modding my son's Pred 90 was getting the nerf bars on.....Had to cut off all the old stuff and take off the exhaust and a few other things to weld the AC nerfs on..Took me about 4 hours...Not fun.

Pappy
09-17-2005, 07:46 AM
i can see where the removal of the stock mounts could pose issues for someone. i checked that out briefly last night to see what we were going to have to do when its time for that. shouldnt be to bad, but we are set up to do that type of work so no biggie.

Sjorge450R
09-17-2005, 08:59 AM
pappy, you have probaly already did this but did you move the Fronts top shock to the other mount hole that is there. That is what we did on mine and it works better. Even raised the hieghth (sp) on mine.

Pappy
09-17-2005, 07:30 PM
we havent as of yet. i would suspect moving it out may work, but it would also place more stress on the already weak shock mounts. i reckon if jumping is kept to a minimum it would be fine.

Sjorge450R
09-18-2005, 06:06 PM
like i said....i weigh 130 lbs and take doubles like i am on my 300ex and still no problems... you should be fine/

Pappy
09-19-2005, 02:07 PM
we did some timed laps today to see how well one of our TRX90's verus the now modified Polaris 90.

15 second per lap advantage to the Polaris:ermm:

the honda wasnt slow by any means, but the auto tranny is a huge advantage along with the faster acceleration of the 2 smoke. we even drag raced them, the predator did great but the honda could run it down in the end. that is only due to the gearing i have on the honda:p

DVXchic
09-20-2005, 12:49 PM
Hey pappy,
We had one for our son, Keep an eye on the swingarm where the rear shock bolts on, it cracked on the weld, wasn't very noticable but i caught it when adjusting the shock.
I've seen pics of cody jumping, so i think it could use some re-enforcement.

By the way, nice pics of cody in the ATV mag, you must be proud.

Pappy
09-21-2005, 12:21 AM
thanks!

yes, one thing ive noticed about all the mini quads is that they all need serious frame work. cody has already aired out the predator:p

Evana13
09-24-2005, 06:02 AM
If those are stock shocks then I would have to say ouch!!!!!!!!:eek: :(

Evana13
09-24-2005, 06:02 AM
If those are stock shocks then I would have to say ouch!!!!!!!!:eek: :(

Pappy
09-24-2005, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by DVXchic
Hey pappy,
We had one for our son, Keep an eye on the swingarm where the rear shock bolts on, it cracked on the weld, wasn't very noticable but i caught it when adjusting the shock.
I've seen pics of cody jumping, so i think it could use some re-enforcement.

By the way, nice pics of cody in the ATV mag, you must be proud.

been there:D

fastmini
09-26-2005, 07:00 PM
What mx was cody riding at? Thats some big air! How do the elkas work for you guys ( do you like them )??

Pappy
09-26-2005, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by fastmini
What mx was cody riding at? Thats some big air!

we were invited to Rausch Creek MX Park to get filmed for an upcoming atv video. He was clearing 3 tables on the adult track just prior to filming. He was going pretty big for that quad, even dumped it fracturing 3 bones in his wrist:( its all good and he will be ready for the next GNCC:D

Pappy
09-26-2005, 07:04 PM
the elkas work ok, but they were not the best set up for this quad. on the honda they work killer, especially after having santo derisi work them over

Sjorge450R
09-26-2005, 07:19 PM
watch out for this spot, i just cracked it over the past weekend.

Pappy
09-26-2005, 07:23 PM
yeah i think cracks are a thing to be dealt with, especially if the quad see's a few jumps

mxdad
09-28-2005, 09:30 AM
I will have to check my boy's for cracks since he likes to jump that quad. Pappy if you get ambitious and want to mod another Pred 90 let me know and maybe you can help do Michael's for me?

Pappy
09-28-2005, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by mxdad
I will have to check my boy's for cracks since he likes to jump that quad. Pappy if you get ambitious and want to mod another Pred 90 let me know and maybe you can help do Michael's for me?

no problem. by the time i get this one figured out i should no every bolt..lol

once we get codys GNCC 90 back together, this predator will be coming completely apart for gussets and powdercoat alnog with a few internal engine mods

AtvMxRider
09-28-2005, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
no problem. by the time i get this one figured out i should no every bolt..lol

once we get codys GNCC 90 back together, this predator will be coming completely apart for gussets and powdercoat alnog with a few internal engine mods

Make sure you take plenty of pics of the gussets ok Ken.

Rudedog
10-05-2005, 06:39 AM
We also had a Polaris Predator..........my son races the GNCC and local Harescramble............needless to say we got rid of the Polaris.........we were constantly having trouble with our stators which we solved this problem with suggestions from Billy Holt. It did have the speed but we have a very aggresive little rider and we couldnt keep that Polaris together something was always breaking.

cody_119
10-05-2005, 03:55 PM
we own a polaris predator 90 and have did a lot to it and most of it has been from hetrick. weve had a lot of problems w/it though like how cheap the parts seem they break easily like spindles and parts in the motor. but they are nice 4-wheelers but if it was my choice to buy another mini i would go with a kasea.