PDA

View Full Version : electric or kick

One_Bad_400
09-11-2005, 01:20 PM
i'm about to sell all my crap and but a 06 450r and a 05... one for race and one from practic... and i have a question about the 06... this weekend... i saw so many racers getting tired by kicking there bike and it not starting... and i want a kick start... but on the new honda it says electric or kick... does that mean the one with electric start you can kick it or electric start it??? probly a dumb question... but i didnt know

or does that mean the one weith electric they removed the kick start and just electric

400exrider0004
09-11-2005, 01:27 PM
when u get an e-start you don't get a kickstart. When you get a kickstart you don't get a estart. Its either one or the other.

JRP
09-11-2005, 06:25 PM
get kick i hate electric..

450robot
09-11-2005, 06:40 PM
get electric, its alot more convenient to just push a button on the track than standing up, pulling out the kick lever, kicking until its started, putting the kicker back in place, and then sitting down and getting into a comfortable position again

dont get kick just cause people say your a ***** if you dont

the only people who say that are insecure of their strength, complete a-wholes or dumbasses, or cheapos who wont spend the extra $100 for convenience

not to mention it saves a few good seconds on lap times if you stall or mess up

One_Bad_400
09-11-2005, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by 450robot
get electric, its alot more convenient to just push a button on the track than standing up, pulling out the kick lever, kicking until its started, putting the kicker back in place, and then sitting down and getting into a comfortable position again

dont get kick just cause people say your a ***** if you dont

the only people who say that are insecure of their strength, complete a-wholes or dumbasses, or cheapos who wont spend the extra $100 for convenience

not to mention it saves a few good seconds on lap times if you stall or mess up

i dont want the electric just for what other people say... i just have REALLY BAD LUCK with electrical... and i wana get rid of all eletrical as posible... and i've had problems with electric start on my 400ex, and a buddy's YFZ, cousing me to not win the race becasue the electrical wouldnt recharge the batt. (i know its a yamaha) but still i onow about all this electrical.

do you think theres a way to put an electric start on the kick start version... or a back up kick on the electric start verion.

450robot
09-11-2005, 06:43 PM
i would have to see both new r's to find out, but if the motor is not on the side case where the kicker used to be

you might be able to have the estart and then bolt the kickstart side case and kicker on it

atvridernc
09-11-2005, 07:34 PM
on hondanews it says the 450r's e-start is on the clutch side of the crankcase. correct me if im wrong but the kick lever is on the clutch side also so i dont think it would be possible to put a kick backup on the e-start model.

I love electric start but hate when it messes up. It would be the best of both worlds to have both on the R.

"Electric start version features an electric starter that drives the clutch side of the crankshaft to provide superior lubrication of starter gears, and produce a narrow engine with a short, strong crankshaft. "
New 450r (http://www.hondanews.com/CatID7516?mid=2005090567398&mime=asc)

Honda
09-11-2005, 08:22 PM
I never lost a holeshot having kickstart, I seriously think that an electric is slower off the line........

Stuck on a hill, or covered in 50 pounds of mud however, that is a different story!

Both are good. each has it's disadvantages and benifits!

Punk'd
09-11-2005, 08:27 PM
Kick.. I love mine.

400exrider0004
09-11-2005, 08:27 PM
go with the estart

450robot
09-11-2005, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Honda
I never lost a holeshot having kickstart, I seriously think that an electric is slower off the line........

Stuck on a hill, or covered in 50 pounds of mud however, that is a different story!

Both are good. each has it's disadvantages and benifits!

you might not lose the holeshot, but 5 minutes into the race when you motor is hot and you spin out, crash, or go off course and stall, kicking it over is gonna gain you nothing over pushing a button

400excracer
09-12-2005, 11:49 AM
Never had a problem with the estart on the 400EX. Estart has saved me a lot of time and energy in xc racing. I wouldnt race without it. I still see at least one or two guys kicking their bikes while everybody else is already racing. If this happens once, thats one too many. The few pounds that you save is not worth the hassle. Cracks me up how some of you think that your more of a man if you kick start a quad. If your that insercure you have some real problems.

MR.BIG
09-12-2005, 01:28 PM
I would buy Kickstart again. No dead batteries and less crap that can go wrong. My starts everytime first or second kick. Like someone else said the only place it would be nice is if you stall on a hill. Just my opinion.

One_Bad_400
09-12-2005, 03:04 PM
doesnt look in the way????

KICK!!!!!!!!!

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/attachment.php?s=&postid=1800538

ESTART!!!!!!!!!

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/attachment.php?s=&postid=1800541

JRDrider22
09-12-2005, 03:10 PM
yea if you treat your bike well it will start when you need it to. i personally love the kick start. i hate electric. ive had bad past with electric too.

signboy
09-13-2005, 02:43 PM
Does anybody know if there will be an upgrade kit to make the 04 and 05 models e-start? If so, when and how much is that going to be?

Yamahauler_04
09-13-2005, 03:18 PM
No one know yet. The bike was only show a few days ago.

If there is a demand, Honda or the aftermarket will make it.

I beleive the two wheelers have it, so it can be done.

jeepnrocks
09-13-2005, 05:12 PM
I haven't really compared starting either but an e-start will crank a few times before firing. if the kick bike is dialed in properly and IF it fires over instantly it would be close... maybe even a slight advantage to the kicker. I also spin less on a dead engine start since as i fire the bike over im driving my weight down and thus putting extra weight on the back wheels.

KAZAL
09-13-2005, 05:16 PM
any real racer uses a kick and that is the bottom line /// e starts are for novices and begginers Know ur quad and how to use the hot start and it will start on ONEEEEEEEEE (1) yes ONEEEEE kick EVERY TIME

Dave400ex
09-13-2005, 05:45 PM
I think it's funny how people down riding abilites because somebody wants e-start instead of kick. If you want kick start, get it, if not, then get what you want. Last I checked Team Suzuki uses the e-start?

CHAR250R
09-13-2005, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by KAZAL
any real racer uses a kick and that is the bottom line /// e starts are for novices and begginers Know ur quad and how to use the hot start and it will start on ONEEEEEEEEE (1) yes ONEEEEE kick EVERY TIME

I'm not a racer, this means I can get the kick start. I'm happy that you cleared that up for me. I've been riding for over 25 years. I'm not a novice or a begginer. I've been kick starting dirt bikes before there were any quads or trikes to be kick started. The 450R kicks over easy. Try kick starting one of the Quadzilla's I had, or the 350X's I owned. You would love an E start if you had to start one of those. The only kick start quad I have now is my 250R. My new 450R will have electric start. I'm to old to be kicking anything. The bottom line is: get what ever starting system you want, because you have to ride the quad. Who cares what other people think.

KAZAL
09-14-2005, 01:06 AM
we arent talking about your quadzilla or my banshee or any other quad we are talking about the 450 r .. im sick of people saying how hard these things are to start and they see peope kicking and kicking for 10 mins... these people should not own such quads ... I dont think i ever kicked my 450r more then twice EVER ...

Johnson
09-14-2005, 05:31 AM
Are you saying that bill ballance is not a pro because he has e-start?

CHAR250R
09-14-2005, 08:19 AM
im sick of people saying how hard these things are to start and they see peope kicking and kicking for 10 mins... these people should not own such quads ... I dont think i ever kicked my 450r more then twice EVER ... [/B]

If you can't start the 450R in a few kicks, you might want to look into the E start. If it takes you 10 minutes to start your 450R, you are doing something wrong. All the ones I have ridden started in no more than 3 kicks. Hot or cold.

Transplant2
09-14-2005, 08:28 AM
these people should not own such quads

I can start my banshee with my hand...but would still take e-start on it. When I take my boy for rides or get stuck on a steep hill at an angle it just makes life easier. But this is just me...and I don't speak for racers or anyone else...so perhaps you shouldn't either. :tired:

And I think we are all sick of guys like you saying we are inferior if we don't get a kick start. Just be glad you still have the option...someday we might not.