PDA

View Full Version : How to remove steering stem bearings on 400ex??

YZ400EX
09-11-2005, 02:51 AM
I have tried so hard to remove these bearing because they are SHOT, but I just cannot get them out..I know there are seals which I have removed and there is a large C clip to hold the bearing in which is gone, but the bearings will not budge!!! I have beat them and beat them and it still will not move..The come up from the bottom right?? That seems to be the logical thing...Anyone have any ideas for me on this??

bradley300
09-11-2005, 07:08 AM
i had to heat it up on my 300ex. came right out then

INFANTRY RACING
09-11-2005, 09:50 AM
Get a bigger hammer.

416exmx
09-11-2005, 09:56 AM
Comes out the top side, the side the clip is on. No wonder it wont budge.

YZ400EX
09-11-2005, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by 416exmx
Comes out the top side, the side the clip is on. No wonder it wont budge.

I had already figured it came from the bottom up..never beat it towards the bottom because that didnt make any sence..I was beating it from the bottom up..It would make no sense to have the bearing push down and have a clip on the top..

JDiablo
09-11-2005, 11:58 AM
turn the frame over,soak it with PB blaster,then wipe any excess off then put a flame to it,then beat it,this sounds like you might need another person

416exmx
09-11-2005, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by YZ400EX
I had already figured it came from the bottom up..never beat it towards the bottom because that didnt make any sence..I was beating it from the bottom up..It would make no sense to have the bearing push down and have a clip on the top..

Alright, my bad. When you said "They come up from the bottom, right?", I thought you were askin if the bearing came up from the bottom, not drive it up from the bottom. Yeah try soakin it. sometimes you can soak it and let it soak for a day and you might not even need to put the heat to it.