PDA

View Full Version : Qeustion for those who own an Elka Brand rear shock...

Pepto_Bismol
06-10-2002, 12:36 PM
I have the fully adjustable rear shock from Elka (Elka Brand) with SSD, and man it really sits low. When I actually sit on the Quad (400EX) I only have about 1 inch to 1 1/2 inch of the shock shaft showing. It seems to ride great, and I haven't had any problems jumping, but my question is does your rear shock "sag" that much too, or do you have more shaft showing (less sag)...Need help. (Mabey my rear main spring to too soft? or mabey it's all just fine and I'm tripping over nothing?)
Thanks
Pepto :cool:

06-10-2002, 12:40 PM
well, if u like the ride, keep it like that, i personally like my back end to sit low, and my front end high, but, if u feel uncomfortable with it, try askin the quadshop, or eventually, the other members wit elka will see this and post

AlaskaSpeed
06-10-2002, 02:34 PM
on my 400ex mine sat low in the back, but I had more than an inch of the shaft showing. I will add that I thought it was sitting too close to the rubber stopper, but never bottomed, so I left it alone........JIM

Pepto_Bismol
06-11-2002, 08:57 AM
Thanks guys. Anyone else have an Elka rear to respond here? (Surley there are more than just two....)
Pepto:cool:

Nausty
06-11-2002, 10:12 AM
well I just got the conversion and I think it sags a little bit more than it should but I think I like having it low and I don't bottem them out that often. The one thing I did notice with the rear shock running more preload than the fronts is that it tends to nose dive a little bit more in the air now.

TRX250R87
06-11-2002, 01:48 PM
I too felt that way when I got my shocks on my R. I adjusted the preload a little and made it sit a little higher. Now after riding for a while it feels good.
ERIC

mrusk
06-11-2002, 08:45 PM
trx87- I have the same elka shocsk your running. But i my R is still ont he stand. Do they sit nice and low like the pep zps?

matt

TRX250R87
06-11-2002, 09:56 PM
I have never owned anything but stock and Works shocks but these sit pretty low compared to both of them!
ERIC

racerx573
06-11-2002, 10:25 PM
My Elka rear sits real low too, but I like a lot of sag. ( I ride an R), It seems fine off big jumps and stuff.

Leo
06-12-2002, 04:53 AM
my Elka rear sat very low as delivered (SSD, fully adjustable)..

I don't know if it was the right thing to do, but I cranked the preload up a bit to level the bike out with the front (which sag's about 2 inches)..

the preload collar was all the way at the top of the shock when I got them, now I have it down about an inch or so, just enough to get the bike leveled out..

as it rides now I'm going to need a lot more practice before I come close to bottoming it out.. I still can't get over how these things soak up stuff..

Leo

Ex'r Marlin
06-12-2002, 12:48 PM
Hey Pepto, I too have an Elka rear "SSD" shock. I guesstimate about an inch to maybe just a little more than that on mine. I noticed that when I had a friend sit on it to see how much travel I had left. I too have no problems with the shock. The amount of travel the other way is unbelievable though!!!

Good luck with your Elkas..... I love mine!!!!

Pepto_Bismol
06-12-2002, 01:25 PM
Well, it sounds like everything is normal then. Like I said, I never have any trouble with it, I was just wondering in case there was something I missed.

Hey Leo, which shock did you adjust, fronts or back? And if the back, how does putting more preleoad (adjusting the nut down) level out your bike? If you add more preload, doesn't that compress the springs more, which then takes more load to compress them? Or do I have it backwords?

mrusk, to answer your question, they sit so low that if it was any lower I would be sitting on my rear tires :eek: ...(that's why I started this thread, cause I wasn't sure if that was normal). I will say this though, that because my bike sits sooo low, man I can do some super powerslides through the corners at the track without the slightlest hint of body roll. No more tires off the ground for me! :D
Hey, thanks everyone for your responses!!!!!!!
Pepto:cool:

rowlrag
06-13-2002, 10:04 PM
Pepto, think of the preload ring as a ride height adjuster, yes if you crank it all the way down it will stiffen it. But don't be afraid to turn it. My rear has the ring all the way up, but I run a loger main spring Jeff's at th Q-shop's ring is down 1" and a half or so, and we can ride each others and they seem the same, but his main is shorter than mine but the ride height's are the same. his spring rate is a little softer too. We both race XC. Never paid much attention to how much shaft shows sitting there but you also have the linkage ratio that has an affect on how far the shaft moves, play around with it your not gonna hurt it, hope this helps.

airheadedduner
06-14-2002, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by Nausty
well I just got the conversion and I think it sags a little bit more than it should but I think I like having it low and I don't bottem them out that often. The one thing I did notice with the rear shock running more preload than the fronts is that it tends to nose dive a little bit more in the air now.

My friends bike did that, but backwords. Preload in the front was to high and it dropped the tail Because of it he bit it hard on a razorback out at flourence. It was hiarious:D .