PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys use to glue grips on with?

brian400ex
06-10-2002, 11:08 AM
?

knighttime
06-10-2002, 11:21 AM
double sided masking tape

RideRed04
06-10-2002, 11:22 AM
I tried using scott's glue, didnt work. The only way to do it is to wire them on. Any wire will work. Wrap it around, and twist it together where your hand doesnt touch the grip on the bottom. Then cut off as much as you can and you are set.

250xman
06-10-2002, 11:24 AM
i accually use hairspray. it makes it easy to go on and once i tdries completely they dont move at all. make sure you dont put too much on or i tcould take up to 2 days for it to dry completely.

beerock
06-10-2002, 11:27 AM
I use wire

glue sucks especially when its time to replace the grips.
with wire you just cut the wire and roll the grip off.

ranger400ex
06-10-2002, 11:35 AM
The best and cheapest way. MXers have been using this trick for years. Get a roll of friction tape from an auto store(It is black tape tacky on both sides kinda like tar, hockey players use the tape on their grips and it is on alot of the wiring harnesses in vehicles) Wrap the grip area on the bar tightly with the tape, then carfully soak the tape with carb cleaner or a solvent(gas, etc) to make it dissolve, put a little around the inside of the grip and slide it on the bar with a twisting motion, repeat for other side. Let set about 15minutes or less and the grips will be set. No slipping or glue to mess with. And the roll will last for about 10-15 grip changes for @ $1.99. Grip glue is expensive and does not work the best, hairspray slides off in the heat of battle, and just safety wire allows them to slide. I have used this trick for years and never lost a grip and no safety wire used.

BMW

BTW I got podium this last weekend at the local race. Not bad for my 8th race on atvs. Alot different than rancing the CR. Kinda hard to go from one to the other from weekend to weekend. Oh well it has been fun

brian400ex
06-10-2002, 11:46 AM
I used weather strip adheasive before and it worked. Maybe i will try it again.

cdalejef
06-10-2002, 11:57 AM
3M weather strip adheasive, you can get it at Napa. I've been using it for years and haven't had a grip slip yet.

mcmike
06-10-2002, 02:54 PM
This sounds like B.S. but it works better than anything I have ever tried.
Clean your handlebars with laquer thinner, then fill your new grips with the thinner, one at a time. ( Don't use paint thinner, not the same.) Let it set about 20 seconds then pour it out and shake the grip out good. Quickly slide the grip on and line it up. Hold about one minute to let it set up, and by the time you get the other side on, it will have set up. Then cut holes in the end for your end caps, or barkbusters. This lets the fumes out, or it will eat the ends right off. For best results, let it set about an hour before riding. Be sure they don't move around first. If it does, you left too munch thinner in the grips before sliding them on.
I usually get 3 to 6 months of riding this way. They wear out before they come off. Never had any come loose.:devil

P.S. Don't forget about cutting holes in the grip ends.

brian400ex
06-10-2002, 04:42 PM
Anybody try silicone?

2qk4u
06-10-2002, 08:42 PM
I have used spray paint for years and never had a grip come off. I am sure everyone has an old can of spray paint laying around somewhere. and its free.

Nausty
06-10-2002, 09:52 PM
if you use something that sets up quick like some grip glues or hair spray you should put some holes in the end of the grip to let the air get out when you try forcing the 2nd grip in. Also we use hair spray with tie wire. For tieing the tie wire though we don't use our fingers we get some needle nose pliers I think and twist it around really tire and then cut it off short and then tap in the sharp tie wire with some pliers or something so it goes into the rubber of the grip. I personally like the atv grips over the dirt bike grips.

R-Crazy
06-10-2002, 10:28 PM
i have used silicone, it slides too much.

dave

Lasher
06-11-2002, 07:44 AM
volcanizing rubber cement from the local auto parts store.

Make sure you clean the inside of the grips and the handlebars really good. I use acetone for cleaning (also use this before putting stickers on).

I let it set for a day and then check for movement. Luckily my father in law (where I keep my quad) is a diebetic, so if I have movement in the middle of the grip, I fill one of his needles with the glue and squirt it in the spot that moves. Let it set, and check again. Right now you could never take my grips off unless you cut them off.

Tried the wire once, didn't like the feel it gave me with the Pro Grips gel filled grips I used. Plus it did not work.

06-11-2002, 01:14 PM
take some sand paper and scuff the heck out of the area that the grip will be going on. then take some ether(starting fluid) and clea the grit off.. then spray some eteher into the grip and slide them on. the ether will melt the rubber on the grip to the bars. the grip will also be set to ride on in 5 mins. and chrome steel bars are a pain to keep grips on.

Stunz
06-11-2002, 06:18 PM
I've always used Renthal Grip Glue with zero problems.

One thing I always noticed is that the grips take a lot of force to get on. It's a fight that I always win!

Do you guys find it hard to get the grips on or is it the glue I'm using getting tacky?

Nausty
06-12-2002, 12:08 AM
I have tons of problems getting them on before whatever we end up using sets up. I tend to have to stretch them, soak them in hot water(so they expand), and have to take about 3 or 4 trys. Last time I think we did our grips we used some of the elmers spray and it sets up in no time but we had to readjust them kinda late and one is kinda lose at the end and the way the grip is it won't hold a tire wire to keep it there and ends up coming off.

06-15-2002, 09:29 PM
To get the grips on I use an air compressor and blow air into the grips. I use stuff that people use to patch their pools with to keep the grips held. it will also keep water out of the grips.

MEL
06-16-2002, 10:33 AM
you have to make sure the bars are scuffed up and clean. i use 40 grit sand paper and give the bars some tooth to stickto, and then clean them with starting fluid. then i either use spray paint(not water based) or clear caulk. once their on i safety wire them. i've yet to have one come lose.

06-16-2002, 12:18 PM
i use hairspray, been using that for years

OCCRA288
06-16-2002, 04:16 PM
I used this stuff the other day and it set up like a rock. I can't make my grips budge.

T-R-X
06-16-2002, 09:39 PM
I usually use Renthal grip glue, or spray paint, and ive never had a problem with my grips coming off.

yamaha1470
06-18-2002, 07:43 AM
Hairspray is the easiest

knighttime
06-18-2002, 07:51 AM
Some of the stuff u guys are using isn't gonna hold up in extremely wet conditions. Hairspray and some of the others will break down if it gets too wet in there. It can be very dangerous to have a grip slide off. :(

:eek:

CBRSLIDER
06-18-2002, 03:46 PM
I have used grip glue and it has never worked for me. I then tried GOOP, which is the same stuff occra was talking about. It has held up perfect. Even in wet, muddy riding conditions. I agree with MEL, scuff up the bars a little. I actually made some cross hatching on the bars with a file to give the grips something to bite on. It has worked great. Then I let it set over night.

Ray

airheadedduner
06-19-2002, 09:12 PM
I have tried everything, spray paint, gas sooked tape, glue, ect... The only thing that works for me is wire. Makes taking the grips off lots easier too.

CBus660R
06-20-2002, 12:57 PM
I use grip tape for golf clubs. Holds up well and is water has no effect on it.