PDA

View Full Version : adjusting works shocks.

Juggalo
06-10-2002, 10:59 AM
boy i sure do feel dumb asking this but how do i adjust the preload on my works triple rate steelers with remotes. i know it has somethin to do with those rings at the top of the shock. i read the instructions and couldn't get it. any1 wanna help me out?

Zingnut
06-10-2002, 11:09 AM
Is it threaded preload or is it like mine with a retaining ring that holds the perload level.

http://zingnut.midwest.net/Pics/Wheeler/shock.jpg

06-10-2002, 12:00 PM
Why do you want to adjust the preload?? I've been running my works for about a year and a half and have yet to adjust my preload or needed to adjust it..

cdalejef
06-10-2002, 12:02 PM
Set your bike on a creat, pull down on the top shock ring, you'll see a bunch of grooves and a ring in one of those grooves. Move the ring up or down in the grooves to adjust the preload. Down to add more preload and up to add less preload. Hope this helps.

Zingnut
06-10-2002, 12:28 PM
I had to adjust mine after i got mine used and even after the first day of the trail ride at Turkey Bay they were much to soft. After i was all done mine have found there home on the 13th ring from the top.

Buzzsaw
06-10-2002, 01:30 PM
How did you get the springs to compress to adjust the retainer clip?

cdalejef
06-10-2002, 02:47 PM
If you have the front end off the ground then you you should be able to just pull down on the top of the springs with you hands unless your springs are really stiff. Have a friend move the ring for ya while you pull down.

Zingnut
06-10-2002, 02:59 PM
I take a towel or thick rag and then take Vise grips and clamp down on the spring and it makes it real simple to adjust and doesn't mess the spring up at least in my case. Like Jeff said though the front end has to be off the ground.

Juggalo
06-10-2002, 04:14 PM
rico, mine seem to be almost perfect right now how they came but i just wanna mess with them and see if i can get it even better or at least see what my options are.

400exBro
06-11-2002, 03:48 PM
the only way to adjust the preload is with the preload adjustment srcew which doesn't come on standered work shocks unless not other words, i bought mine and ask for the threaded preload option which is another 50$ for the both other words with your shocks all you can do is take out he cross over rings...
bro
i'll take a pic tonite for ya.

400exBro
06-11-2002, 07:04 PM
here u go a couple pics of the adjuster screw nut that is used to adjust the preload on the works w/rezzies and trs
Bro

400exBro
06-11-2002, 07:07 PM

cdalejef
06-12-2002, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by 400exBro
the only way to adjust the preload is with the preload adjustment srcew which doesn't come on standered work shocks unless not other words, i bought mine and ask for the threaded preload option which is another 50$ for the both other words with your shocks all you can do is take out he cross over rings...
bro
i'll take a pic tonite for ya. The standard Works uses a clip and groves to adjust the preload! DO NOT remove the cross over rings!

400exBro
06-12-2002, 03:46 PM
okay i thought you could remove cross over rings to get more travel, some one told me that.. maybe i miss understodd
thnaks jeff
Bro