PDA

View Full Version : car audio experts i need help!!!!!

TheRidinLife01
09-10-2005, 10:46 AM
alright so i just put a JVC Kd-s11 cd player in my 1995 f150...all the wires i beleive are hooked up correctly because i took my time and double checked them. it works, turns on and all that jazz...but no sound. the speakers dont crackle or make anykind of sound. theres 1 wire with a tag on it that says remote output only do not use. so i was screwing around with it, and when i ground that wire it will player and work perfectly, but then when i shut the truck down and turn in on again, it wont play untill i UNGROUND it...everyother time i turn it on and shut it down i either have to ground that wire or unground it...its really making me mad...any help or anything to check will be greatly appreciated

or hit me up on aim at Ev318fakest
if you want to talk about it

JDiablo
09-10-2005, 11:12 AM
you hook that wire remote wire,i belive it is blue right? up to the remote output on a amp,that is what tells the amp to turn on and turn off without having to directly supply another power source.Im pretty sure the head unit came with a wiring diagram,now just find a stock wiring diagram for your truck,and if it says
White/black left front speaker for the stock diagram
and then the headunit says purple/black for the left front speaker hook them up togehter

If you can,can you take a pic of the wiring that you did and post it?

TheRidinLife01
09-10-2005, 11:39 AM
im not using an amp though, that is what i dont understand, and it doesnt work unless i ground that blue wire with the white stripe on it.

then once i ground it and shut the truck down, then back on, i have to unground it for it to work again

JDiablo
09-10-2005, 11:43 AM
do you have the ground wire from the headunit grounded to a good location on the car?

And the blue wire isnt a ground,it is a power,so im guessing it has to do something with your power wire.

I can almost gurantee you its something to do with the ground wire,and the power wire not being hooked up correct

TheRidinLife01
09-10-2005, 01:01 PM
:confused:

tater_kamik
09-10-2005, 01:06 PM
okay, if you do not use an amp, dont use the the remote wire, it is 12v, and all you are doing is looping it back to ground (back to the batt) do you have premium sound?

F-16Guy
09-10-2005, 06:13 PM
On a few of the newer decks, I've noticed that the YELLOW wire is the main power and the RED gets hooked up to a switched 12V power source, maybe check that. Also, try running the wire for the switched source directly to a switched terminal in your fuse block (one that turns on and off with the key). I've found that sometimes that wire in the vehicle's radio harness doesn't put out enough power for an aftermarket deck. Also, double check the ground with an ohm meter. If you can't where it attaches to the vehicle, try running a seperate ground.

tater_kamik
09-10-2005, 06:17 PM
not sure how the power wires are gonna affect the unit from putting out sound, when it is already turned on... the ridinlife01, can you clarify whether it is turning on only when you mess with the amp turn on, or does it always turn on, but wiht no sound?

TheRidinLife01
09-10-2005, 07:49 PM
it turns on every single time, but no sound every other time i turn it off and back on

baseballplaya23
09-10-2005, 08:43 PM
if im correct i think the blue and white wire is for a power antenna and the solid blue wire is for remote wire. hmm idk why its doing that tho. does your truck have premium sound? if so it might have an amp somewhere and some decks will not work with the factory amp. i had to bypass it on my car for it to work and its a ford.

09-10-2005, 09:44 PM
OK, you have three options..

if you DO have premium sound you need to hook up the blue/white remote wire, this does not sound like your problem though

if you used a wire harness to adapt, some ford around that year did not have a ground in the harness, they grounded through the antenna lead.. check the harness and see if there is a ground, if not ground your black ire from the radio somewhere.

third" more than likely the problem". On many of that style trucks the Negatives for the front speakers are swapped. try switching the gray/black and the white/black wires from your stereo.. your front neg. wire in the truck harness should be black/white

MAaudioX10
09-10-2005, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by serialthrlla
third" more than likely the problem". On many of that style trucks the Negatives for the front speakers are swapped. try switching the gray/black and the white/black wires from your stereo.. your front neg. wire in the truck harness should be black/white

If that is the case, the head unit would work, the speakers would just be out of phase. If, for some reason, the positive and negative are touching then it would not work.

Kind of a hard thing to diag. over the net. Kinda need the truck in front of me.

tater_kamik
09-11-2005, 12:48 AM
i agree, out of phase but they would work just fine. this is definately a problem that is hard to fix over the net, ya kinda need to touch it and mess with it yourself to understand and fix it...

09-11-2005, 07:02 AM
it wouldn't be out of phase, maybe I wasn't clear enough.... many people would use an adaptor harness to hook up the wiring, well you would normally just match color for color... when I say the negs are reversed, the left and right negs are switched in the harness. so you would hook white to white as normal, but then the white/black to the gray/black on your apaptor harness.. then gray to gray as normal, then gray/black to the white/black...

deck harness adaptor harness
gray---------------------------------------------------gray
gray/black-------------------------------------------white/black
white-------------------------------------------------white
white/black------------------------------------------gray/black
green-------------------------------------------------green
green/black-----------------------------------------green/black
purple------------------------------------------------purple
purple/black-----------------------------------------purple/black

wire your speaker like this and it should fix your problem... very common on those trucks from 90-96

tater_kamik
09-11-2005, 07:08 AM
my bad, i thought you were saying the speaker wires were reversed from what the other speakers are or something. i cant say i have ever run into this exact problem so i dunno... on that year you should have 2 plugs, only one for speakers but that is where i would start for sure since the player works fine

TheRidinLife01
09-11-2005, 07:27 PM
i did use the wire harness that i bought from walmart(could be most of my problem), but i will double check that wire layout you gave me before i take the head unit back to the store

thanks for all the help, ill keep you guys posted, and if you think of anything else let me know

TheRidinLife01
09-11-2005, 07:36 PM
it wouldn't be out of phase, maybe I wasn't clear enough.... many people would use an adaptor harness to hook up the wiring, well you would normally just match color for color... when I say the negs are reversed, the left and right negs are switched in the harness. so you would hook white to white as normal, but then the white/black to the gray/black on your apaptor harness.. then gray to gray as normal, then gray/black to the white/black...

deck harness adaptor harness
gray---------------------------------------------------gray
gray/black-------------------------------------------white/black
white-------------------------------------------------white
white/black------------------------------------------gray/black
green-------------------------------------------------green
green/black-----------------------------------------green/black
purple------------------------------------------------purple
purple/black-----------------------------------------purple/black

wire your speaker like this and it should fix your problem... very common on those trucks from 90-96

i notice you have 2 white/blacks on there? is that correct? and when you say like purple/black do you mean a purple wire with a black stripe?

09-11-2005, 09:43 PM
white/black would mean white with black stripe. the two white/blacks, one is from the deck, the other on the harness

TheRidinLife01
09-12-2005, 02:30 PM
i still didnt figure it out...i tried wiring it like you said up above...still no luck, does the exact same thing. if anybody can find me a wiring diagram for the stock radio that would be great....its a 1995 F150 5.0 4x4 4spd. if i can find a stock wiring diagram i will cut the plugs off and splice wires together and forget about the wiring harness i bought at walmart.....

Smokin 440
09-12-2005, 02:38 PM
If it turns on, is it possible the internal amp is shutoff? B/c some headdecks with preouts for amped speakers can have the internal amp shut off for the unit to be more efficient. Check the book to see if that would be the case.

09-12-2005, 03:02 PM
if you wired like i said and still no luck, if you have a digital multimeter you should check your speaker wire for ground, if two speaker wires are touchin or if one is touching ground it will shut down the amp in the unit.. in which you could find the problem or just run new speaker wires... does your truck have just two speaker or four?

INFANTRY RACING
09-12-2005, 04:57 PM
your red wires constant power.
yellow is memory
black is ground
blue is the amp remote

there should be 2 harness's on you truck that you have to hook into. one is speakers and the others power & grounds i believe. i haven't done mine in forever so let me know if that helps

TheRidinLife01
09-12-2005, 05:11 PM
i know all about the wires and stuff. i know about all the power supply and everything. im no dumby when it comes to this stuff thats why it has me so puzzled, ive never seen a problem like this before. also the truck has 4 speakers....2front(1 in each door) and 1 in the back(1 behind each seat) so i have no clue...anyone else have any suggestions i should try....also if anyone can find me a stock wiring diagram that would be VERY helpful

thanks for all your time...keep them coming

INFANTRY RACING
09-12-2005, 05:32 PM
is there 2 connectors in your kit and on your truck

tater_kamik
09-12-2005, 05:34 PM
my comp is acting up but try installdr.com also, try to run straight wire from the head unit to the speakers, none of the factory wiring bs for test purposes. if it works, we will continue with a wiring prob or an factory amp issue, if it doesnt, i think you know what the problem would be

09-12-2005, 07:21 PM
there will be 2 harnesses if it has an amp and 2 if it don't so I don't understand why you guys are askin that question?

2 rectangular = no amp
1 rectanular and 1 square = amp
also if it had an amp it would say premium on the door grills

MAaudioX10
09-13-2005, 10:00 PM
there will be 2 harnesses if it has an amp and 2 if it don't so I don't understand why you guys are askin that question?

2 rectangular = no amp
1 rectanular and 1 square = amp
also if it had an amp it would say premium on the door grills

Now, cerealthrilla, simma down boy!! Be good or I am going to shave that goat off your face!

blackwell17
09-13-2005, 10:05 PM
im going to put in my 2 cents here...

try hooking the power antenna wire to the remote wire and see what you come up with. My stratus RT has premium sound and you WILL NOT get sound out of any speakers unless you hook the power antenna wire to the remote wire. Try it

MAaudioX10
09-13-2005, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by blackwell17
im going to put in my 2 cents here...

try hooking the power antenna wire to the remote wire and see what you come up with. My stratus RT has premium sound and you WILL NOT get sound out of any speakers unless you hook the power antenna wire to the remote wire. Try it

That is some good advice! A lot better than what captain crunch was giving!

blackwell17
09-13-2005, 10:14 PM
i try:D

09-14-2005, 02:53 AM
oh yea, MAAUDIOX10, Lets take advice from a guy who uses MA Audio.. best use I ever saw for one of those amps is to put in under a table leg to stop it from shakin..

YEA, Then Then, I'll have my BUDDY run you off a cliff.. Ha so what now

Trevor
09-14-2005, 06:47 AM
You don't have to do anything with that blue wire ////your audio output ic is toast.

MAaudioX10
09-14-2005, 08:08 AM
oh yea, MAAUDIOX10, Lets take advice from a guy who uses MA Audio.. best use I ever saw for one of those amps is to put in under a table leg to stop it from shakin..

YEA, Then Then, I'll have my BUDDY run you off a cliff.. Ha so what now

Whatever, obviously, you don't know what great car audio is. I however, know what works and if you keep pushing my buttons I am going to start making you install Blackmore.

HA! Now what?

09-14-2005, 08:38 AM
LOL, yea I could find a use for blackmore too.. we can stck em up and use them for jack stands