PDA

View Full Version : KX125 Coolant/Oil Problem

Toadz400
09-10-2005, 10:19 AM
Not too long ago my sister bought a 1990 KX125 and at first everything was great on it, actually it still runs great. But a problem we started to notice was the tranny oil was turning white (looking through the viewing glass on the side). We changed the oil and it was fine for awhile until it changed white slowly again. So I figured it was something in the waterpump assembly that is leaking into the tranny. Does anyone know for sure what it could be? I've looked up parts and I can't really figure out what part could be wrong because all the places I've looked at had crappy diagrams.

We're tearing it apart this fall as soon as it gets cold out to go through everything and rebuild everything. Also, lately now the oil has been changing to white after every ride (few minutes). So now I'm sure something definately is wrong inside the engine there, I just want a hint as to what it is so when we tear into it, I know what I'm looking for.

F-16Guy
09-10-2005, 08:42 PM
Water pump seals are notorious on those things. I hated my KX250. If I wasn't putting a water pump seal in it, I was replacing the head gasket (or whole top end). When you reinstall the new seal, make sure you radius the end of the shaft with some fine sand paper or emery cloth so you don't damage it. You may also want to inspect the pump shaft and make sure it's not worn where the seal rides; you may have to replace that, too. Thats pretty much the only place that water can get into the tranny oil, so that's probably what it is.

Toadz400
09-11-2005, 07:19 PM
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind when we rebuild it. I was at the swap meet at Hay Days today and there was a guy selling a '01 KX125 and he had the same problem, he didn't even know about it though. We pointed it out to him when we noticed that the oil was a milky white. This guy didn't seem too big on maintanence though, there was a lot wrong with it.