PDA

View Full Version : Where To Buy 406 Kit?

USAF400EX
06-10-2002, 10:39 AM
Well Marcums is closed today and the kit is not listed on their web site. Planning on buying one this week and would like to know if Terry sells one or where anyone else has bought theirs. What do you think about a 406 bore with 11.5:1 or 12:1 CR with a TC MX Grind Cam?? Any info would be appreciated.:)

Wheelie
06-10-2002, 12:01 PM
Sounds like a good setup, although you won't be able to run pump gas with compression that high. It wouldn't hurt to have the head ported while you have it apart.

All said and done, you'll have a strong running motor.:)

Giz400ex
06-10-2002, 02:25 PM
You can actually do it yourself. You can get the piston from anywhere. If there is a local shop nearby then have them bore it out and cam, get it from webcam and deal with them directly. I recently had a 406 installed and I had CT do it!! Really, didn't have to go through them. But, I realized this after I had everything done. CT only had bore out the cyl. so if ya can, eliminate the middle man!!

USAF400EX
06-10-2002, 09:39 PM
I guess I could just do it myself. Just thought that Marcums may sell a kit with the gaskets and everything at a good price. I guess nobody knows if he sells a 406 kit so I'll just call him tomorrow. Which web cam do you think would benefit me the most. Would web cam be a better ride than thect MX Grind cam for mostly mid range power. If I decide to go the route of getting everything myself, would ct racing be a good choice with a budget in mind? ($400). I have heard good things about their cams but never dealt with them before. Hope for some more info from you guys. Oh yeah, I am aware of the fact that I will need to run race fuel for that high of a compression. Runnign a higher compression will let me go with a smaller overbore and still have big gains. The actual cc differences between a 406 and a 416 is so minimal that I probably wont notice much at all. Later

VegasEx'r
06-10-2002, 09:46 PM
I don't know if Terry sells the 406 kit, why don't you want the 416? As far as a cam, the Web Cam 450/451 will give you more power in the mid to to range. I don't know how it compares to the TC mx cam.

Giz400ex
06-11-2002, 02:44 PM
Thats the cam I have, 450/451. If you go with CT for everything it will be less than 400.00. I had my rockers harden just in case that was an extra 250.00. The piston is gonna cost ya about 100.00, boring 50.00, and cam I believe was 160.00 with your cam also. I wouldn't suggest going to a builder, you can do it yourself!!

TravEX
06-11-2002, 07:52 PM
i don't mean to butt in on USAF400EX's post, but i'm new to this and curious, to install a bigger bore kit, i need to have my cylinder bored out and order the proper size piston, cam, and gaskets,,,is that basically it?,,,thanks

yellowrider
06-11-2002, 08:19 PM
if i was you i would get the 406 kit and get it port and polished then save up for a carb..

then

put some money in the back and invest it while your quad is running and when it breaks down .. you have some money to rebuild it with...

i have heard that you can not give these kits he11 like you can with the stock motor...