PDA

View Full Version : Ford Ranger V8 swap

WKY400EX
09-10-2005, 12:24 AM
I'm in the process right now of getting everything together to do a Ranger V8 swap. The truck is an '88 model supercab Ford Ranger 2wd. The motor is a newly rebuilt (0 hours) 302HO out of a '94 Mustang GT. The motor has: Typhoon intake, dome pistons, Taylor wires, headers, roller cam, 4 barrel carb, etc. The tranny is a C6 w/AOD. Motor would easily accept a blower or smaller shot of nitrous.

The guy is sellling the F150 truck that the motor is current in, another 302 motor, the C6 transmission, very nice bucket seats.....everything Ford he has for $1300. He said it's the only Ford he has, so all the Ford parts go with the truck.:)

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone out there has done a V8 swap in a Ranger. I've seen several S10/350 swaps, but very few Fords. If anyone has done one, let me know your experience. Thanks.

Guy400
09-10-2005, 04:35 AM
PM Quadfamily.

SRH
09-10-2005, 07:41 AM
i ve been wanting to do a v8 with my 97 single cab 2 wheel drive...that thing would be a powerhouse haha

Killa250ex
09-10-2005, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by WKY400EX
I'm in the process right now of getting everything together to do a Ranger V8 swap. The truck is an '88 model supercab Ford Ranger 2wd. The motor is a newly rebuilt (0 hours) 302HO out of a '94 Mustang GT. The motor has: Typhoon intake, dome pistons, Taylor wires, headers, roller cam, 4 barrel carb, etc. The tranny is a C6 w/AOD. Motor would easily accept a blower or smaller shot of nitrous.

The guy is sellling the F150 truck that the motor is current in, another 302 motor, the C6 transmission, very nice bucket seats.....everything Ford he has for $1300. He said it's the only Ford he has, so all the Ford parts go with the truck.:)

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone out there has done a V8 swap in a Ranger. I've seen several S10/350 swaps, but very few Fords. If anyone has done one, let me know your experience. Thanks.

Go here, it'll have everything you need to know!

http://therangerstation.com/tech_library/V8Conversions.html

Wish i coulda done this to my old '88 ranger!

Potimus
09-10-2005, 09:19 AM
I doubt a ranger will beable to hold the power for a long period of time wiith that kind of motor. Especially an 88. Adding a blower would not be a good thing unless you wanna twist that axle off. You'll need to reinforce that body def if you put a blower on it. Definitly do your research.

nacs400ex
09-10-2005, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Potimus
I doubt a ranger will beable to hold the power for a long period of time wiith that kind of motor. Especially an 88. Adding a blower would not be a good thing unless you wanna twist that axle off. You'll need to reinforce that body def if you put a blower on it. Definitly do your research.

I dont see a mini-truck having much of a problem handling a mildly done v8. My s10 has a 305 currently going to step it up to a 327 or 350 this winter. I have a turbo 350 tranny and b&m shifter. Havent had a single problem yet with it handling the v8. I dont think the rangers would be much different.

Potimus
09-10-2005, 10:54 AM
We're talking about an 88 Ranger. If you want mustang power, buy a mustang. I dont like seeing mix and match ****. Buy an old 5.0 mustang and save the truck the pain.

Just be ready to do some work and better save up the money for when your gears blow out of your pumpkin.

TheFontMaster
09-10-2005, 11:15 AM
I've wanted to put a 302, or 330 into a 95 single cab, short box 2 wheel drive ranger, and lift it 6 inches, dana 60 rear end, 5 speed 35's and make it a pre-runner.

WKY400EX
09-10-2005, 01:08 PM
We're talking about an 88 Ranger. If you want mustang power, buy a mustang. I dont like seeing mix and match ****. Buy an old 5.0 mustang and save the truck the pain.

Just be ready to do some work and better save up the money for when your gears blow out of your pumpkin. This isn't going to be some halfass job. I already have the Ranger and have no desire to buy a Mustang. Thanks for the negative post though.

toby400ex
09-10-2005, 01:29 PM
What size back end that ranger already have in it? You gonna 4-link that back end atleast?

Scott-300ex
09-10-2005, 01:31 PM
don't buy a mustang just for the 5.0

it would be cool, a sleeper ranger

it is a tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight fit for a 302 in a ranger, 350's fit better in s-10s, you may have to cut some of your firewall back actually

your ganna need new front suspension, cuz the wieght is ganna take it down

you should buy or stiffen up your rearend, but if its an 8.8 it will hold it fine

and you don't need a C6, thats a HUGE tranny for a 302, try and get a C4, for wieght savings, easier on suspension, make you go faster, and you engine don't need to turn that extra weight so it makes more power

Potimus
09-10-2005, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by WKY400EX
This isn't going to be some halfass job. I already have the Ranger and have no desire to buy a Mustang. Thanks for the negative post though.

Just trying to save you some money and embarressment. Have fun with it.

Guy400
09-10-2005, 03:25 PM
I have no clue on the Fords but my S-10 had a 355 in it with a TH-350 tranny and the stock 10-bolt rear end with the factory posi unit in it. I was only putting about 330hp out of the motor but that was enough to power the 2910lb. truck (with me sitting in it) to low 13's all day long on regular old Firestone Firehawk tires on 8" rims. For front suspension I was still able to use the stock shocks but used springs out of a V6 w/air truck (mine was originally a 4-banger). The front end only sagged a little over an inch from stock. If you're only going to use a near stock 302 than you'll be OK. A 1994 Mustang was only putting out 215hp on a good day.

WKY400EX
09-10-2005, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Scott-300ex
it is a tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight fit for a 302 in a ranger, 350's fit better in s-10s, you may have to cut some of your firewall back actually

your ganna need new front suspension, cuz the wieght is ganna take it down

you should buy or stiffen up your rearend, but if its an 8.8 it will hold it fine

and you don't need a C6, thats a HUGE tranny for a 302, try and get a C4, for wieght savings, easier on suspension, make you go faster, and you engine don't need to turn that extra weight so it makes more power I'm sure I will have to cut a bit of the firewall and re-fab it. Front suspension is going to be strengthened too. As far as the C6, I'm not positive I would even use it. But the guy selling the parts is getting laid off, so he needs the extra money. I can't pass it up. The swap won't be easy. That's for sure. It should be fun though. I won't have to pay for any labor either, which is a plus.

Derag2
09-10-2005, 06:35 PM
your gonna need at least and 8.8 rearend if your gonna use the power, a C4 tranny would be okay if you put a shift kit in it at least..... The C6 is bullet proof thou but its a pig.. I don't think a ranger is gonna have a 8.8 but the good news is a 8.8 out of a mustang will bolt right up. If you got a C4 you'll have to get a new bellhousing unless you get one from a mustang.. That engine won't be that bad as far as weight and front end. therangerstation has a kit you can buy that gives you everything you'll need to put a 302 into a ranger.......

nacs400ex
09-10-2005, 08:22 PM

Just be ready to do some work and better save up the money for when your gears blow out of your pumpkin.

Well considering all you need to do is buy mounts, bring the firewall back a bit. Then some custom headers, and possibly aluminum rad and different tranny. Not much extra money spent, and if done proper one can make the vehicle look as though it's from factory. This is nothing new to do to these trucks. Nothen better then pulling up to stang, and giving them a run for their money. These trucks are light, so light in fact you may want to mount a fuel cell in the bed of the box to get that much more traction.

All in all my truck was bought for $1800 Canadian which is CHEAP. The ownership also says it's a 4 cylinder, so insurance is much cheaper.

SRH
09-10-2005, 09:22 PM
seth enslow i think had a pretty nice ranger with a v 8 why buy a mustang...thats a chick car, and f 150s are cool and all but power to weight haha

WKY400EX
09-10-2005, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Derag2
therangerstation has a kit you can buy that gives you everything you'll need to put a 302 into a ranger....... Yeah, I've checked out therangerstation.com. Some good info there. So far, I've found a few really helpful sites. The Ranger already has a tilt nose, 4" cowl, and I've got the tubs for the rearend. I will most likely mount a fuel cell in the bed too.

Scott-300ex
09-11-2005, 09:50 AM
yeah, your VIN sais its a 4 or 6 cylinder, they don't know what you got in there, so it will be cheaper on insurance

and a 7.5 rearend would hold up, proly what you got under there

in mustangs 79-85 they had 7.5's and they held up, mines still got the 7.5 and it holds up, i have no idea how, but she takes it, just likes to spin the tires a lot

you prolly could make your rearend work in there, if you don't know, go in front of your house and get on it, if it is still in 1 piece then your good, lol, do a little more testing on it though

09-11-2005, 10:07 AM
the ford 7.5 rears are total junk.. i had a older mark 7 with a 7.5 rear and a 302 ho in it.. and i would go through a rear every 6 months.. granted, the car was driven, not babied.. which i have a feeling is whats going to happen in your situation.. get a 8.8 or a 9 inch outta a old lincoln..

And you have some descrepencies in your description.. 94 motors didnt have "4 barrel carbs" unless it was switched over, which is foolish due to efi being much more fuel efficiant and relable.

As for the tranny, eaither a c6 or a c4 will hold up, but not for long.. the ho motors are a hydraulic lifter motor, which will make more power and could possibly break a stock c6 or c4.. i would definatly get that built up..

Sub frame connectors, bracing, proper mounting, and serious planning needs to be done to the truck before things will work right.

Dont ghetto the swap up.. my buddy is doing a conversion now in a s10 with a 350, and the planning stage is paying off.. so plan for the thing, make sure you give yourself the time to do it.. if you dont, then it isnt going to come out right..

Post pics when your done ;)

Jesse

WKY400EX
09-11-2005, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Dirt Merchant
the ford 7.5 rears are total junk.. i had a older mark 7 with a 7.5 rear and a 302 ho in it.. and i would go through a rear every 6 months.. granted, the car was driven, not babied.. which i have a feeling is whats going to happen in your situation.. get a 8.8 or a 9 inch outta a old lincoln..

And you have some descrepencies in your description.. 94 motors didnt have "4 barrel carbs" unless it was switched over, which is foolish due to efi being much more fuel efficiant and relable.

As for the tranny, eaither a c6 or a c4 will hold up, but not for long.. the ho motors are a hydraulic lifter motor, which will make more power and could possibly break a stock c6 or c4.. i would definatly get that built up..

Sub frame connectors, bracing, proper mounting, and serious planning needs to be done to the truck before things will work right.

Dont ghetto the swap up.. my buddy is doing a conversion now in a s10 with a 350, and the planning stage is paying off.. so plan for the thing, make sure you give yourself the time to do it.. if you dont, then it isnt going to come out right..

Post pics when your done ;)

Jesse Thanks for the info Jesse. As far as the carb situation goes, it was switched over. Maybe they felt it was more simple.:confused: I'm definetly not going to do a ghetto swap and end up paying for it later on. The chassis will be braced and suspension will be strenghtened up. The rearend and tranny will be stronger as well. I have someone with almost 30yrs automotive experience helping me, so that should make things a lot easier. This guy doesn't halfa** things. He does them right. Even though the motor was just rebuilt, he's going to tear down the engine and make sure everything is okay. He told me that he has a hard time trusting other people's work.

I will post pics when I get done.:)

CHAUNCY
09-11-2005, 12:13 PM
I am currently collecting parts to swap a 302 into my 1993 ranger. I have bought a set of Kauffman Products long tube headers and aslo a ford 9 inch. Im planning on getting Kauffman motor mounts and possibly their radiator also. I will probably go with 31 or 35 spline axles in the 9 inch. I already have the 4 link rear suspension. I still have to gusset the 9 inch before it goes on the truck though. I plan to be pulling around 27 inches of travel in the rear with the 4 link.

Guy400
09-11-2005, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Dirt Merchant
Sub frame connectors, bracing, proper mounting, and serious planning needs to be done to the truck before things will work right.Subframe connectors? Isn't the Ranger a full frame truck? My S-10 was full frame...

toby400ex
09-11-2005, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Derag2
your gonna need at least and 8.8 rearend if your gonna use the power, a C4 tranny would be okay if you put a shift kit in it at least..... The C6 is bullet proof thou but its a pig.. I don't think a ranger is gonna have a 8.8 but the good news is a 8.8 out of a mustang will bolt right up. If you got a C4 you'll have to get a new bellhousing unless you get one from a mustang.. That engine won't be that bad as far as weight and front end. therangerstation has a kit you can buy that gives you everything you'll need to put a 302 into a ranger.......
The 6 bangers and 4x4 rangers usually have the 8.8, atleast my v6 4liter does.