PDA

View Full Version : My Dilemma

Atkins
09-09-2005, 08:48 PM
Alright, well I figured you guys could help me out with this, this is a huge decision. Ive been planning on joining the Marine Corps for about 2-3 years now, and Ive done alot of sh*t to keep that option open and keep myself prepared if I do. Im all about it, but theres just one problem, Im extremelyafraid of flying. I know most people must think its stupid, but flying really messes with my head for some reason, and last time I flew I thought I was gonna go like mentally insane. Anyways, I really want to do an infantry MOS, but I know Ill be flying in choppers, and transport planes all the time, so that wouldnt be a good idea. I met with my recruiter today for the first time, and he showed me alot of other MOSes that I would mainly only have to fly like a few times a year or something, if at all, so of course Im reconsidering it.

Basically what Im trying to say is, should I realistically reconsider it because Im not 100% sure if my recruiter is just giving me BS to get me to sign the dotted line. Is there a way I could be 100% sure I wouldnt have to fly? Thanks guys.

exboy
09-09-2005, 09:37 PM
i dont know but i would be more worried about hell week
:(

BadAss03
09-09-2005, 10:54 PM
Exactly what exboy said, you will have much worse things to worry about. they will train you to like flying.

Atkins
09-10-2005, 07:32 AM
Like I said, Im not worried about boot camp at all, I love that stuff. Ive tried to adapt to flying, but I cant, and it seems like its out of my control. Last time I was supposed to take a plane to Hawaii, I walked out of the airport.

Its wierd because this is 100% what I want to do and I dont want to go through life knowing I didnt do it, but at the same time the military and flying go hand in hand.

Im just trying to get from former or current military people on the board, how much flying would a non-infantry MOS have to do, and what type of MOS would have the least.

MR.BIG
09-10-2005, 09:49 AM
Join the air force, just kidding take a valium and its all good!

Woodsrider
09-10-2005, 10:09 AM
Your going to have to find a MOS that has the least amount of combat support to eliminate flying. I was 11H (anti-armor infantry) the 101st airborne from 86 to 91. We flew everywhere, in everything from helicopters to C5's. If you dont think you can get over your fear of flying, find a job that will keep you on the ground. Like a dentist.;) I dont know what your ASVAB score was, but if you got a high score you should make them give you a job that will give you a good resume when you get out. Combat arms MOS's won't do chit for your future after you get out.

tater_kamik
09-10-2005, 01:30 PM
im gonna say the air force rocks, i have buddies in all of the forces, and when im over in the desert, putting the marines in the back of an 130, with the look on theyre faces, i know i did the right thing joining the af. flying isnt a big deal, you get uses to it, ironically enough, most of the af doesnt fly that much

Scott-300ex
09-10-2005, 01:58 PM
recruiters do bs

my friend went into the marines being told he would never have to go overseas

well, now he's ganna have to and he's just waiting for the call

but just fly and you'll get used to it

i mean, when you ride quads, you see something that would be cool to do but you don't wanna crash or get hurt or anything,
I just go for it, and then i do it and i'm like, damn that was awsome

so just fly A LOT and you'll like it

and if your in training your ganna fly if they tell you too, and you'll be thinkin and be worried about other stuff and you won't even know your up in the air

tater_kamik
09-10-2005, 05:38 PM
i agree, screw the recruiter, they lie!!!!!! ignore basically everything they say!

F-16Guy
09-10-2005, 05:57 PM
Let me tell it to you straight: If you join the Marine Corps, you will deploy, at least for training, on a pretty regular basis. That will require flying. If you freak out and decide not to board the flight, for whatever reason, you will almost surely be punished under the UCMJ for missing a movement and failure to go. You should work that problem out before you enlist. Get professional help, if need be. If it makes you feel any better, I'm an aircraft mechanic and I can tell you that it takes a rediculous amount of things to go wrong before there's any real danger onboard an aircraft. Pilots undergo continuous training, both real world and simulator, and there are redundancies for every critial system on the aircraft.

tater_kamik
09-10-2005, 06:05 PM
i agree with that, im an aircraft maintainer as well actually, but in the air force. deployment is for sure, but have you ever flown before? missing an movement in time of war is an extremely (or can be) bad offense, definetaly an article and possible jail time and getting kicked out, but flying isnt bad. its very safe on the 130's, c5's, and c17's. tons of engines and no real good way to take one down. hell, everything they pop at us isnt even guided anyways... the only thing that may bother you is an assault landing, but honestly i find it fun as hell!! besides, you wont fly that often anyways probably...

HtFoxChick
09-10-2005, 06:44 PM
I wouldn't believe them for every word. I bet you'll fly.....

09-10-2005, 06:48 PM
I'll take you up in a plane and show you that its okay :devil: you dont like to do a loopty do you?

tater_kamik
09-11-2005, 12:52 AM
oh, its guaranteed you will fly, no question about that!! but the way military flies its fun, gotta love some hard banks and that feeling of weightlessness, then way too many g's to stand up... woohoo!!!!

Smoker
09-11-2005, 01:07 AM
Every Marine is a rifleman, so yes, you will fly, and you will deploy. Don't let your anxiety of flying stop from doing something you will remember and be glad you did the rest of your life. All I can say is suck it up, your chances of slipping in the shower or getting killed some other dumb-arse way are far greater. I've been out for 5 years now, and the only birds that were scary were the CH-46's (Vietnam era dual prop) they do some weird things in the air sometimes but I'm still here, you just have to learn to over come your irrational fear of flying, because you'll learn that your capable of a lot more than you thought.