PDA

View Full Version : 2006 450r=big disapointment???

sgerbyshak
09-09-2005, 07:49 PM
Well guys what do you think...are the changes enough? Is the 450r enough or is the new Z going to crush the new R ? I was hoping honda would be fuel injected. The new Honda rincon is fuel injected why not the new 450r? Other that that it is much beter than the 05 was. But is being better than the 05 enough?

Ex'r Marlin
09-09-2005, 07:58 PM
No disapointment here... For the same MSRP as the '05, I think they did a terrific job!:cool:

Well, maybe I need to correct myself... I was hoping to see an aluminum frame.:ermm:

Needless to say, I am on the "waiting list".:D

450robot
09-09-2005, 08:23 PM
yup same here, im on the reserve list for an estart version

i am more than happy with the new r, it has a whole new motor for gods sakes! isnt that enough for you guys? along with redesigned shocks and suspension...

i just know a quad tech hood will be my first mod

that light is pug fugly!

rancid
09-09-2005, 08:29 PM
when honda only had the 400ex everbody was wanting a crf450 qaud now you got that, then everybody *****ed about the kickstart only now that problems gone plus they upped the power a bit and people are still *****en. and everbody talks about how wonderful the new suzuki is going to be, but when it gets here do you really think all of our dreams are going to come true. DOUBT IT

400exrider0004
09-09-2005, 08:40 PM
06 is way better, all the improvements everybody wanted and more. Suspensions different motor everything!!! And the price went up about 200$

fastrider450r
09-09-2005, 08:48 PM
i like most everything except for the light(????)
i still love my 05 though, a very small part of me says i should have waited for 06 but oh well.

bansheex
09-09-2005, 09:14 PM
I feel the same way^ I love the 05 but the 06 sounds awsome. As for Suzuki, No matter what they do to it, it is still going to be a Suzuki.

fastrider450r
09-09-2005, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by bansheex
I feel the same way^ I love the 05 but the 06 sounds awsome. As for Suzuki, No matter what they do to it, it is still going to be a Suzuki.
EXACTLY :macho :blah: :devil:

Dave400ex
09-09-2005, 10:00 PM
I like it a lot myself. I think they fixed most of the complaints people had, as well as upgrading the motor and other things. I wish I could get the E-start version for XC racing now, that would be perfect...

ofsoto
09-09-2005, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by sgerbyshak
Well guys what do you think...are the changes enough? Is the 450r enough or is the new Z going to crush the new R ? I was hoping honda would be fuel injected. The new Honda rincon is fuel injected why not the new 450r? Other that that it is much beter than the 05 was. But is being better than the 05 enough?
With all the improvements they made to the '06 model, what other changes were you expecting? I think that the only improvements they could do was to make it with an aluminum frame, titanium a-arms, swingarm and axle...
How many race oriented quads with fuel injection do you see out there? Or motocross bikes? Besides the Cannondales which are discontinued, I don't think anyone will venture making high performance fuel injected quads or dirt bikes anytime soon...
There's a great expectation about the new Z450, but how much better performance-wise can it be from the TRX and the YFZ? How much different are the RM-Z450, YZ450F and the CRF450R??? They pretty much share the same specs and now we have race ready stock quads that have those specs! What else can we ask for?

Yota_Fan
09-10-2005, 01:11 AM
We are currently in the Golden Age of Quads!! Buy, tweak, modify, and ride what you like (whatever brand that may be.) Hell, just enjoy these days while they last..

:)

.. 'cause I'm sure that there is some bureaucrat/politician somewhere that is just dreaming of ways of squashing "the ride".. :ermm:

jeepnrocks
09-10-2005, 04:25 AM
I think Honda did a great job. ANd honda always thinks out their stuff and does it right. we probably wont see another update till the '08 model. The bump in compression is a huge deal!

04EXdude
09-10-2005, 06:12 AM
Same here!......I think Honda did an awesome job and I bet they sell the heck out of the TRX450ER. I would have waited and bought one but I been without a quad all summer and did'nt want to wait no more.

400excracer
09-10-2005, 06:17 AM
Speaking of the bump in compresion, what octane gas are they recomending? Will it run ok on premium?

quad2xtreme
09-10-2005, 06:27 AM
I am tickled pink. I would have settled for the 2005 with e-start so this is all bonus to me. I plan on getting 2 with e-start as soon as they are out a few months and I confirm there aren't any big problems.

I am wondering if that headlight isn't removable for those who don't want it without requiring any other change in plastic to make it look right.

/Jon

Brown450R
09-10-2005, 06:47 AM
FYI, Cannondale is now ATK, they are still fuel injected, and still make them everyday in Utah. Thats America, for you geographically challenged.

04EXdude
09-10-2005, 07:11 AM
:huh

rancid
09-10-2005, 07:16 AM
you gotta ride a new atk, they are just a cannondale but updated and very fast and the f.i. makes the engine so smooth. but they really need to put fullbores version of theire plastic on or redesign theire own.

chad502ex
09-10-2005, 07:29 AM
i love the improvements, they made the R even better with the improvements. I was hoping for spar frame, but oh well.

One thing HONDA did do was fix the crank bearing problems by going with different bore stroke combination to yield a normal size base rod bearing and not the odd size they had in the 04 and 05

TrX450rKiD
09-10-2005, 08:43 AM
They did what I expected and MUCH MUCH more! I don't know how ANYONE can be disappointed. BTW Chad, that was a bad batch, not a poor design :confused: A very small percentage of the 04/05's had a problem ...

craftyex
09-10-2005, 12:43 PM
i like all of the changes as well, from the compression to the suspension and the ride height. i will be getting one early next year!

Transplant2
09-10-2005, 01:35 PM
They made all the changes I was hoping for. I was ready to buy a yfz...but they saved me. I hope first gear is back down to where is should be. The yfz's 2nd is 1.928:1 and honda was 2.0 something for 1st. What up with that? It was the first thing I noticed and didn't like...with MY riding style. I don't like power shifting thru nuetral. All the other changes are sweet as well.

mersingt
09-10-2005, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by ofsoto
How many race oriented quads with fuel injection do you see out there? Or motocross bikes? Besides the Cannondales which are discontinued

actually you can still buy cannondales from ATK so they arnt discontinued.....and gas gas is a fuel injected quad to....

just letting you know;)

hondardr4life
09-10-2005, 06:53 PM
Well, I couldn't be any happier. I am soon to get a 450r, and I want something brand spanking new, not used at all. And the only way I will be getting an 05 is if I can get it for $1000 cheaper than I can get an 06. I REALLY want the 06, it sounds SOOO much better, but I won't complain with either, cuz its faster than what I got now.:devil:

chad502ex
09-10-2005, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by TrX450rKiD
They did what I expected and MUCH MUCH more! I don't know how ANYONE can be disappointed. BTW Chad, that was a bad batch, not a poor design :confused: A very small percentage of the 04/05's had a problem ...

actually, your right it was bad batches but also poor design. HONDA designed the trx rod weird odd big end size. The rod was extremely difficuly to copy because of the rig big end being inbetween all even rod sizes. makes no difference now, HONDA changed the rod to typical size and added needle bearings to prevent failures too.

Jason250ex
09-10-2005, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by hondardr4life
Well, I couldn't be any happier. I am soon to get a 450r, and I want something brand spanking new, not used at all. And the only way I will be getting an 05 is if I can get it for $1000 cheaper than I can get an 06. I REALLY want the 06, it sounds SOOO much better, but I won't complain with either, cuz its faster than what I got now.:devil:

a thousand bucks isnt worth it IMO...with that thousand dollars you could barely upgrade the linkage on an 05....much less suspension, ENGINE, and e start among other things

pinky93
09-10-2005, 08:12 PM
Not positive yet, but I am 99% sure I am going with the 2004 R that I found. Around 10 hours on her, babied by a friend and I can get it right now for under $5,000.

Hope I don't regret it, but I really think I will be happy.:D

400excracer
09-11-2005, 06:17 AM
You'll be happy till you spend way more that $1000 you saved to upgrade your 04. And even then it won't have all the upgrades that the 06 has. Be patient and wait till this winter and get an 06. The prices will come down at the dealers by then.

ofsoto
09-11-2005, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Brown450R
FYI, Cannondale is now ATK, they are still fuel injected, and still make them everyday in Utah. Thats America, for you geographically challenged.
FYIC (For you informationally challenged): How many ATKs (or fuel injected quads) you see this days winning ANYTHING in our sport? Or to make it even more simple, how many quads of this kind you see racing at a professional level and being successful?
Besides Jeff Stoes' ATK in the GNCC series, I don't know how many more ATKs are racing in both the GNC and GNCC Series, but I know for sure there aren't that much. With this I'm not bashing at ATK or saying they are not good... As a matter of fact I'm glad ATK took over Cannondale's legacy because they were the ones that started all this technology and performance revolution in quads. Once they prove they are realiable, I don't see why anyone wouldn't race them at a professional level.
All of the technology you see on today's high performance quads is borrowed directly from the motocross bikes... And if they haven't already tested it on them I just don't think that any of the big four brands (Hon, Yam, Suz & Kaw) will come out with a race-oriented quad with fuel injection because motocross bikes have always been their primary focus, and if they haven't put it on them why would they put it on a quad? That was my whole point! It would be great to have fuel injected racing quads... no more jetting to deal with and also more power and fuel efficiency! I would take my hat off to Suzuki if they came out with it on their new LTZ450, but honestly I don't see it coming... But I'll sure keep hoping to see that soon!

Brown450R
09-12-2005, 03:28 AM
Suzuki or any of the big ones could put fuel injection on them, but they probably won't because of the cost. How much do you think they can put on these things and still have everyone afford them? You pay a lot for an ATK or a GASGAS. I am more than certain Suzuki and the rest developed and tested fuel injection for their sport quads and decided to go with a carb instead so we all could afford the damn things. They will be fuel injected in the near future I'm fairly sure. Heck, the new suzuki might even be, but I doubt it. It is a cost issue, not performance.