PDA

View Full Version : Rear axle removal???

mud390
09-09-2005, 02:23 PM
I went to adjust my chain today and loosen the axle pinch bolts and enough water came out to be classified as a small pond. So, I looked in my manual and for the life of me can't figure out how to get the rear axle out so I can inspect/clean/lube the rear bearings. Oh, my bike is an 03 400ex that is stock. Please help!

Kris

Chino
09-09-2005, 04:15 PM
1. Take your right rear tire off. Then take out the coter pin located in the hub nut. After that take the hub not off, then the hub will slide off of the axle.

2. Then you must loosen your loc nut, remember the threads on a loc nut are reverse threads so use your head when doing this.

3. After taking the loc nut in towards your bearing carrier you will notice a small cir clip that is on the axle in a groove. Get yourself two small phillps screw drivers and gently remove that cir clip.

4. After that your loc nut will slide off of the axle. Also i forgot to mention you need to take the two 12mm bolts out of your caliper on the first step as well. After the loc nut slides off, get yourself some snap ring pliers and take the snap ring off the tapered part of the bearing carrier.

5. After you do that you will then be able to knock the caliper stay off. It's the metal circular piece your right side of the bearing carrier goes through. You will also notice there is a lil nut on the side of the swingarm that it fits precisley over.

6. After knocking that off, pull out your axle, i always leave the left side tire on just so i dont have to take it off, but you can take it off making it easier to handle your axle.

7. After your axle is out your bearing carrier will pop right out. ALSO I FORGOT TO MENTION MAKE SURE YOU LOOSEN THE 4 ALLEN HEAD BOLTS UP ON THE BACK OF YOUR SWINGARM OR THE CARRIER WILL NOT POP OUT.

8. After you get the carrier out clean up the inside of your swingarm real well where that carrier goes in alot of dirt and bulidup gets in there.

9. Put in your new carrier, or new bearings in your current carrier and repeat steps 1-9 but backwards, i hoped this helped you out some and i'm glad i had nothing better to do right now than type this out, i could have easily told u just to search the forums because it's all over here. Hope this helped if you have any more problems send me a PM or just post it.

Chino ~

btw, after everything is loose and before u try to take your axle out, take the chain off of the sprockets so the axle will freely come out of the bearing carrier.

quadmad123
09-11-2005, 02:11 AM
if i was u i would take off the chain....undo the 2 nuts and pull the bolts off and it should just pull out...

mud390
09-11-2005, 03:37 PM
So after reviewing and trying what has been posted here along with the manual I have, I still have to get the axle out of my 400. Its starting to get me really ill. I just spent the past hour and half beating the snot out of the two lock nuts I have managed to get the outter one to turn one full turn and the inner refused to budge. So, I shot a little PB Blaster on the threads and let it soak for a few minutes hoping it would help, but to no avail. So, now I'm stuck, and so are the lock nuts. What gives? Is there some sort of special vodoo curse on them? I've tried tightening them to break the torque on them and also loosening them. Someone please tell me whats going on here! :mad:

Kris

mikeboone
09-11-2005, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by mud390
So after reviewing and trying what has been posted here along with the manual I have, I still have to get the axle out of my 400. Its starting to get me really ill. I just spent the past hour and half beating the snot out of the two lock nuts I have managed to get the outter one to turn one full turn and the inner refused to budge. So, I shot a little PB Blaster on the threads and let it soak for a few minutes hoping it would help, but to no avail. So, now I'm stuck, and so are the lock nuts. What gives? Is there some sort of special vodoo curse on them? I've tried tightening them to break the torque on them and also loosening them. Someone please tell me whats going on here! :mad:

Kris

Hold one piece of the locknut with large pipe wrench and turn on the other with another large wrench. If yours has been on several years it will take a good bit to break them loose. I had to take the rearend from this 00 400 I bought to the shop and it took me to hold on wrench while the mech. turned the other.

If it was loctited in you may have to heat with a torch first.

mud390
09-11-2005, 04:18 PM
To my knowledge the rear axle hasn't been removed. My bike is an 03 400ex. Do you know if they loc-tite the nuts from the factory? Thanks!

Kris

Chino
09-11-2005, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by quadmad123
if i was u i would take off the chain....undo the 2 nuts and pull the bolts off and it should just pull out...

and you have no clue what your talking about...

UglyMotha™
09-13-2005, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by quadmad123

warren as in the same warren the retard from something bout marry cause that sounds like something he would have said cause that is so not the way to take out the axle :huh :rolleyes: