PDA

View Full Version : What would do this?

QuadJunkies
09-08-2005, 11:24 PM
My quad has been running perfect, but we decided now would be a good time t odo my rebuild before winter racing starts up, we saw this purlish blue color and wondered if this is normal?? Would it be due to overheating maybe when I had my 426? I notice my 440 runs ALOT coller than the 426 did,but Im praying this isnt anything to worry about since its running fine?? am I going to need a new Crank? :confused: :( I need someone who can reply with great experience please

QuadJunkies
09-08-2005, 11:25 PM
the Rod had very little play and seems to fine as well..

QuadJunkies
09-08-2005, 11:25 PM
We had never seen my quad COMPLETLY torn down , so I just want to make sure all is well She performs nicely :)

2muchquad
09-09-2005, 02:59 AM
when i ordered a brand new crank for my yz426,it arrived like that from yamaha.i guess its part of the heat treating process dont worry,thats normal:)

QuadJunkies
09-09-2005, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by 2muchquad
when i ordered a brand new crank for my yz426,it arrived like that from yamaha.i guess its part of the heat treating process dont worry,thats normal:)

really??? Whew.... you dont know what a sigh of relief that is!! thank you :)

44oEX
09-09-2005, 10:45 AM
they have to heat it up REALLY HOT to press in the pin that holds the connecting rod...mine is the same way...it's totaly normal don't worry about it

QuadJunkies
09-09-2005, 10:50 AM
thats awesome, I mean... I would REALLY love to do a stroker, but cant afford that right now :D ;) lol

F-16Guy
09-09-2005, 11:50 AM
Same thing with the rod. They have to heat it up to slide the bushing in. Heat the big part, cool the little part, and slap 'em together as fast as you can!

wvspeedfreak
09-09-2005, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
I would REALLY love to do a stroker

I got turned on a little bit when I read that.:D :devil:

ZeroLogic
09-09-2005, 07:14 PM
rofl^^

mikeboone
09-09-2005, 07:16 PM
Yes, it's normal.

While you have the bottom end apart b sure to clean the metal oil screen in bottom of center cases and I would also check the springs on back of clutch basket. You can check the springs by twisting on basket with it installed and can feel any excess free play.

Rod should have some horizontal play but very little vertical play. Check cam guides for wear as well; the chain can cut strips off that lodge into the oil pump.

QuadJunkies
09-09-2005, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by mikeboone
Yes, it's normal.

While you have the bottom end apart b sure to clean the metal oil screen in bottom of center cases and I would also check the springs on back of clutch basket. You can check the springs by twisting on basket with it installed and can feel any excess free play.

Rod should have some horizontal play but very little vertical play. Check cam guides for wear as well; the chain can cut strips off that lodge into the oil pump.

thank you, Ill keep a note of this in the garage ;) lol we have unfortunaly been threw Cam chain nightmare before on our Predator thanks to a mechanic who didnt have any know how :( Since then, my ole man has been doing all our work and we have much better results. :)

QuadJunkies
09-09-2005, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by wvspeedfreak
I got turned on a little bit when I read that.:D :devil: HAHAHA...!!! I always seem to have a way with words :o :p :devil:

QuadJunkies
09-10-2005, 06:05 PM
mikeboone~~

So is it the springs that go bad on the back side of the clutch pack?? Are they replaceable or do you replace the whole basket?

Two of the springs turn, two of them dont

mikeboone
09-10-2005, 06:29 PM
mikeboone~~

So is it the springs that go bad on the back side of the clutch pack?? Are they replaceable or do you replace the whole basket?

Two of the springs turn, two of them dont

Yes springs on back of basket. When new they are fairly tight in the holes but will turn a litle. as they wear the play increases some. What you need to check is if you can 'twist' the gear opposite of the basket. The rivets holding the halves together can loosen over time as well. If you notice the two halves will move away from each other I would check into a new one.

The springs are not sold by Honda. the complet basket with gear attached to back is $148 through servicehonda. If the fingers on your stocker are worn bad I would upgrade to the Hinson and find used basket for gear and springs; the Hinson has no other parts with it.

QuadJunkies
09-10-2005, 06:45 PM
Yes springs on back of basket. When new they are fairly tight in the holes but will turn a litle. as they wear the play increases some. What you need to check is if you can 'twist' the gear opposite of the basket. The rivets holding the halves together can loosen over time as well. If you notice the two halves will move away from each other I would check into a new one.

The springs are not sold by Honda. the complet basket with gear attached to back is $148 through servicehonda. If the fingers on your stocker are worn bad I would upgrade to the Hinson and find used basket for gear and springs; the Hinson has no other parts with it.

Well, we checked it and never thought of that being an issue, but we did and I can grab the fingers and then grab the gear and twist them and can physically see movement at the rivets :(
What do you think?? Prol not good huh :ermm: Would trhis eplain why it would jump out of gear when in 1st gear or 2nd??!! Maybe thats why Im having to redo my Tranny TWICE in two years!

I have to say though that a hinson I will not be buying, we have had GREAT luck with stock w/ the barnett springs, but HATED the Barnett clutch kit, its worked very well for us, I really appreciate you taking the time to explain thisbefore we get it all put together..

I think we now have checked EVERYTHING else and pretty much is getting replaced with new parts.

mikeboone
09-10-2005, 07:07 PM
Well, we checked it and never thought of that being an issue, but we did and I can grab the fingers and then grab the gear and twist them and can physically see movement at the rivets :(
What do you think?? Prol not good huh :ermm: Would trhis eplain why it would jump out of gear when in 1st gear or 2nd??!! Maybe thats why Im having to redo my Tranny TWICE in two years!

I have to say though that a hinson I will not be buying, we have had GREAT luck with stock w/ the barnett springs, but HATED the Barnett clutch kit, its worked very well for us, I really appreciate you taking the time to explain thisbefore we get it all put together..

I think we now have checked EVERYTHING else and pretty much is getting replaced with new parts.

I would likely replace the basket. The trans jumping from 1st to 2nd may be caused from bent shift fork but improperly adjusted clutch may create problem.

What brand and vis. of oil do you run in the 440? I personally switched to Amsoil and notice better results over Motul previously.
If you have the stock oil tank off drill the opening out and you can fill the tank quicker than through small opening.

Is the cam chain in good shape; these guys run the CRF which is 1 link wider and should help slow down stretch.

If you come across need for any bolts,etc let me know. I have thousand s of the 8mm head motor bolts, cylinder bolts,etc

QuadJunkies
09-10-2005, 08:54 PM
I would likely replace the basket. The trans jumping from 1st to 2nd may be caused from bent shift fork but improperly adjusted clutch may create problem.

What brand and vis. of oil do you run in the 440? I personally switched to Amsoil and notice better results over Motul previously.
If you have the stock oil tank off drill the opening out and you can fill the tank quicker than through small opening.

Is the cam chain in good shape; these guys run the CRF which is 1 link wider and should help slow down stretch.

If you come across need for any bolts,etc let me know. I have thousand s of the 8mm head motor bolts, cylinder bolts,etc
We use Honda oil(synthetic) and have had good results, Ive heard good things about Amsoil, but I persoally have had two good freinds who have had Amsoil fail them, but they were on Yami and Polaris too.
We did run across one slighty bent shiftfork, two had a VERY small amt. of wear, we will be replacing them all as well.

The Cam chain is farily new, it was nice and tight when we pulled it off
Ill keep that in mind for bolts, thank you..

Tina

quadmad123
09-11-2005, 02:06 AM
if that was my quad all i would do is see how much a new crank is and if there not to bad just get one because its better to replace it than brake down......it looks alright but because its blue now its probally got hot and it will do it again and either weeken or expand.....good luck

QuadJunkies
09-11-2005, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by quadmad123
if that was my quad all i would do is see how much a new crank is and if there not to bad just get one because its better to replace it than brake down......it looks alright but because its blue now its probally got hot and it will do it again and either weeken or expand.....good luck we actually confirmed this even before I got my 1st reply from the Service Dept. that this is how they all look and its normal.;) A new one would be the same way.We we worried about the same thing you were until we heard it was normal.