PDA

View Full Version : This is gonna start an arguement....

Rich250RRacer
09-08-2005, 10:05 PM
Since I see so many music threads in the open forum, and there's members on here of all ages, I figured I'd post this question. I listen to many genres of music, classic rock, hard rock, some metal, blues, country, punk, but NO rap. I've see alot of new bands and individual artists pop up over the last 5-6 years, but very few that will be remembered years down the road. Who do you feel will be around or have an influence on new music in ten, twenty, thirty or even forty years? Have a good reason why you feel this way. Bands like the Beatles, the Doors, The Clash, Led Zeppelin, the Eagles, to name a few, have all had an influence on artists of today. Many, like the Stones, the Who, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Bruce Springsteen, Van Halen, Eric Clapton, Motley Crue, and even Ozzy still produce records and tour. All doing quite well but they do attract an older crowd now. The only newer bands or artists (with in the last ten or fifteen years) that I see having the the same kind of impact are possibly Metallica, Nirvana, and maybe Green Day. This should start something interesting between older and younger members.

Mxjunkie
09-08-2005, 10:14 PM
Led Zepplin is based off alot of the new stuff, I still say the 60s-80s music needs to come back.

I belive tool will be down in the history books. They dont want to do fancy music videos they stay creepy, no one really knows what they look like, they do the music for people not the money.

muddy400EX
09-08-2005, 10:17 PM
thats a good question. thats kinda hard to say, i think CKY has really good music and should be more popular than they are. maybe theyll be classic, doubt it but oh well:)

honduh440
09-08-2005, 10:47 PM
some friends and I always talk about this.......

the billboard top 10 right now is horrible

1.Gold Digger, Kanye West Featuring Jamie Foxx

2. Shake It Off, Mariah Carey

3.Lose Control, Missy Elliott Featuring Ciara & Fat Man Scoop

4.We Belong Together, Mariah Carey

5.Don't Cha, The *****cat Dolls Featuring Busta Rhymes

6.Like You, Bow Wow Featuring Ciara

7. Pon de Replay, Rihanna

8.Sugar, We're Goin' Down, Fall Out Boy

9.Let Me Hold You, Bow Wow Featuring Omarion

10.You And Me, Lifehouse

i wont remember any of them 5 minutes after i hit post reply

250R-Dee
09-09-2005, 04:51 AM
I grew up listening to negro gospels, country music, bluegrass, blues, jazz, and R&B at my grandparents place in the deep south.

I have been rockin' out to classic rock, blues, punk, and other stuff since my primary school days in the late 70's.

I like "real" heavy metal, hard rock, southern rock and classic rock like: Led Zeppelin (I have almost every recording made by Zep) AC/DC, Van Halen, Iron Maiden, Dokken, Black Sabbath, Jimi Hendrix, Lynard Skynard, .38 Special, Eagles, Boston, Kansas, Quiet Riot (music was good but the antics of the lead singer was sickening), Fastway, Dio, Ozzy, KISS, Black Flag, Sid Vicious, Devo, Dead Milkmen, and just about any guitarist from '68~'86. I could list artist forever. Most of the new "rock" music is too bland or over sampled.

I think I have the most varied music taste of all of my friends. I can put my CD Changer on random play and not have any problems with it mixing artist .... Depeche Mode, Hank Williams (Sr/JR/III), Iron Butterrfly, Tego Caldreon, Tin Lizzy, Slim Perkins, REM, Al Green, Bob Marley, Violent Femmes, Eric Clapton, Muddy Waters... blah blah blah

Bottomline.. I love music. There is a song/genre/artist for every mood or event.

Yes, I like hip-hop too because I like to dance but I do NOT like the criminally stupid artist like Kanye West. Ying yang twins, 50 cent, and so forth.

Biz Markie is a trip. Biz's music is fun/funny and the man loves all types of music. RUN-DMC are the undoubted kings of hip-hop. Only a fool would dislike the Beatie Boys but most people do not know that they started out as a punk band and turned to hip-hop when their punk style wasn't making them any money. LL Cool J is good but he needs to start making CD's that have more than just 2 good songs.

Variety is your friend!!

TheFontMaster
09-09-2005, 05:23 AM
Originally posted by muddy400EX
thats a good question. thats kinda hard to say, i think CKY has really good music and should be more popular than they are. maybe theyll be classic, doubt it but oh well:)

You beat me to it haha. CKY has music that isn't like anyone else out there right now. I also want a band to come back that sounds similar to Rage Against the Machine, I say something about them in just about every music thread but they are my favorite bad. The only rap I listen to are Beastie Boys, and they are the only mainstream rap. The other 2 rap artists I listen to are Asop Rock, and Jurassic 5. They have some really good music, and thier style is good, if you don't like rap listen to one of those 2 artists, there music actualy has meaning to it.

zeppelin
09-09-2005, 05:32 AM
i hate to be such a downer, but i personaly dont think any of the new music within the last 3 years is worth anything. the last great band was tool, but god knows what happend to them, but i agree with what mxjunkie said they need to bring back the 60's and 70's type music

smr
09-09-2005, 06:02 AM
Kid Rock will be around for awhile.

yfzrider93
09-09-2005, 07:21 AM
i hate to be such a downer, but i personaly dont think any of the new music within the last 3 years is worth anything. the last great band was tool, but god knows what happend to them, but i agree with what mxjunkie said they need to bring back the 60's and 70's type music

Don't count Tool out. Last I heard Danny was just finishing a tour with PLC and the Tool crew were going back to the studio to start working on new stuff. Hopefully something new will be out soon.

Martin Blair
09-09-2005, 07:26 AM
my dad says the same thing, i still lissen to skynyrd, zepplin, and van halen/ van hagar. I think Metilica will be arround for a while, and i think Staind, Chevelle, and a few others could have the same kind of impact that those bands did that started in the 70s.

Mxjunkie
09-09-2005, 07:26 AM
I'd love to have tool come back, their music is awesome. It doesnt have all the bs the music has now, My girl friend dumped me, you hate me, life sucks, love crap..

yfzrider93
09-09-2005, 07:32 AM
I think Slipknot will be remembered years from now. They may not be remembered for their music but i'm sure their live show will be the stuff of legend. Kinda like how KISS is, everybody admits that they probably weren't the best musicians but they had awesome live shows and were just crazy guys.

maynard22
09-09-2005, 07:35 AM
Man where was all this TOOL support when I was getting keyboard lashed by some folks 2 or 3 months back!LOL! Yes TOOL is supposed to be in the studio right now working on a new album, so hope to hear from them soon!

09-09-2005, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie69
I'd love to have tool come back, their music is awesome. It doesnt have all the bs the music has now, My girl friend dumped me, you hate me, life sucks, love crap.. No silly, its My girl friend dumped me, you hate me, life sucks, now im gonna cut myself.:rolleyes:

250rmike
09-09-2005, 09:57 AM
come on all everyone knows that everyone hates themselfs. lets get a mass suicide together. honestly though the best music is definatly late 60's early 70's rock. doors, pink floyd hendrix skinard. oh yea cant count out marley. iron butterfly(in-a-gotta-da-vida) . i beleive that music is slowly going back towards that sound. everyone is getting tired of all the fighting with the war and in our own coutry. but you also have to think what all they were on when those songs were wrote. im not putting it out like its ok to do but if you look back most of the greats were always strung out on something. anything from acid to heroin to cocaine. and yes even weed. im not saying thats what music is about though.

wilkin250r
09-09-2005, 10:26 AM
The likes of Zepplin and Hendrix were a big infuence on later musicians within the same basic genre. You can bet the members of Metallica listened to them growing up, but they may not have been listening to Frank Sinatra very much.

Likewise with rap. People like 50 cent, Nelly, you can bet they were listening to Run DMC and LL Cool J growing up. They are legends in their own music style.

WKY400EX
09-09-2005, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Rich250RRacer
the Beatles, the Doors, The Clash, Led Zeppelin, the Eagles, the Stones, the Who, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Bruce Springsteen, Van Halen, Eric Clapton, Motley Crue, Ozzy, Metallica, Nirvana. The bands you listed are tough acts to follow. Very influential to rock music.

Personally, I can think of several bands today that I may be influencial to future music. I would say bands : Chevelle, CKY, Avenged Sevenfold, The Killers, Velvet Revolver, Audioslave, Bright Eyes, Emanuel, Beck, Bloc Party, Coheed and Cambira, Aqualung, Foo Fighters, Killswitch Engage, HIM, AFI, Alkaline Trio, Louis XIV, My Chemical Romance, The Used, Queens of the Stone Age, Stereophonics, Slipknot, System of a Down, The Mars Volta, The Postal Service, The White Stripes, The Walkmen, Hot Hot Heat, and Weezer would all be looked up to. All these are great bands in their right. JMO, so feel free to criticize.:p :D

WKY400EX
09-09-2005, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie69
I'd love to have tool come back, their music is awesome. It doesnt have all the bs the music has now, My girl friend dumped me, you hate me, life sucks, love crap.. I like a lot today's music, even quite a bit of the "emo" (MCR, the Used), but a friend and I joke all the time that we're going to assemble a band and hit it big.

1st- learn to play an instrument
2nd- grow our hair out like everyone else (the shaggy surfer style that every 17yr old has) ;)
3rd- Have a nasty break-up & dwell upon it
4th- CRY, CRY, & CRY some more.

That's easily a double-platinum record there. Plus, lots of TRL appearances! :blah:

JDiablo
09-09-2005, 01:49 PM
7. Pon de Replay, Rihanna

WHO THE HELL IS THAT??

I think greenday will definelty do something,nirvana no doubt,and maybe some of the punk,but that is going to be for the hardcore punk fans

zeppelin
09-09-2005, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by WKY400EX
The bands you listed are tough acts to follow. Very influential to rock music.

Personally, I can think of several bands today that I may be influencial to future music. I would say bands : Chevelle, CKY, Avenged Sevenfold, The Killers, Velvet Revolver, Audioslave, Bright Eyes, Emanuel, Beck, Bloc Party, Coheed and Cambira, Aqualung, Foo Fighters, Killswitch Engage, HIM, AFI, Alkaline Trio, Louis XIV, My Chemical Romance, The Used, Queens of the Stone Age, Stereophonics, Slipknot, System of a Down, The Mars Volta, The Postal Service, The White Stripes, The Walkmen, Hot Hot Heat, and Weezer would all be looked up to. All these are great bands in their right. JMO, so feel free to criticize.:p :D

well if new bands try to be like thoughs guys i might as well hang myself now

Matt37
09-09-2005, 01:55 PM
I like all of the music i grew up to.

Bruce Springsteen, 38 special, the eagles, Chicago, Kansas,Zepplin, Journey, steve miller band, Pink floyd,Neil Young, Jimmy Buffet, John Mellancamp, and tons of others.

But there were songs growing up and musicians i could not stand. Most of them because they were drugged out people.

I couldnt stand Janis Joplin and Bob Dylan. And I still can't stand them.

Jimmy Hendrix is good but just like everyone else he became much more popular after he died. When he was alive he wasnt "the god of the guitar" like he is looked at today.

red2004 TRX450R
09-09-2005, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by yfzrider93
I think Slipknot will be remembered years from now. They may not be remembered for their music but i'm sure their live show will be the stuff of legend. Kinda like how KISS is, everybody admits that they probably weren't the best musicians but they had awesome live shows and were just crazy guys.

I have seen Slipknot atleast 2 times at ozzfest and they did have a nice stage show. But they did not impress me! I through a plastic beer bottal at the one guy and pissed him off! LOL

I have seen Kiss in makeup twice and It was the best concert I have ever seen or been to!!!

I have been to over 30 concerts in my life time besides not missing a single ozzfest, the Kiss concert was great!

when I leave concerts my ears are allways ringing but when I left Kiss I could still hear them singing for like a week in my head!!!!!!!

all ya never go to a concert if u cant get in the first 8 rows!!!

WKY400EX
09-09-2005, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by zeppelin
well if new bands try to be like thoughs guys i might as well hang myself now Get the noose ready.:p

zephead400ex
09-09-2005, 03:20 PM
well if new bands try to be like thoughs guys i might as well hang myself now

With a few exceptions...I agree. I don't see anywhere in the future where Chevell, CKY, My Chemical Romance, Coheed and Cambira, etc will EVER be a musical influence to bands of the "future." But then again, music is music and music transcends into something new as it always has. But if music transcends into something that is "influenced" by some of the bands you mentioned...IMO we all in for it.

redlineranger
09-09-2005, 07:43 PM
i like all the mid to late 80's and early 90's rock...... guns n roses, metallica, motley crew, some bon jovi, def leppard, etc......... i personally think if the original guns n roses band was still together, that they would be one of the best bands out there, but thats just me

Rich250RRacer
09-09-2005, 07:43 PM
Maybe I shouldn't stress being influential as much as longevity. I see the Stones starting another tour and realize they HAVE been around for over 40 years. I just don't see any bands today that have the popularity, talent, or drive to last that long.

Smoker
09-14-2005, 07:42 AM
I heard Mick broke his hip on stage.... I admit, they have outlasted a lot and most wouldn't bother to tour at that age, they are die hard. Personally I wouldn't pay to see senior citizens rock out. :p What you don't see are the Rolling Stones off stage, sleeping in oxygen tents and getting embalming fluid pumped through there veins. :p

426ex
09-14-2005, 08:28 AM
Jimi Hendrix was once asked who he thought would be the next big guitarist. He said Billy Gibbons (of ZZ Top for the unschooled). In my opinion, he was right on the money. I'm kinda old school (60's/70's), but I hear quite a range of music. If it's got a groove and you dig it, then it's good. As far as being remembered? I think 60's/70's was the pinacle.

ThumPIN_450R
09-14-2005, 10:57 AM
as long as I like it now I really don't care what happens to the music in the future

Johnny & Monica
09-14-2005, 02:02 PM
Guns and Roses because the music still rocks!!!!!

trick450r
09-14-2005, 02:13 PM
my favorite newer band is rage against the machine...but i dont think they have any influence at all haha

300ex_ryda
09-14-2005, 02:19 PM

Agreed, This new "Punk Rock" thing is just a faz of what our teen is going thrugh! Its all about Zeplillin! They have no clue what is good and bad anymore, And you can't get away from it because you turn on your TV and thats all you see.

Every channel is about some new movie/dancer/signer girl or what not. Kick it old skool for a sec and slap some ripped jeans and some aveaters on and chill :D