PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust install question

The Beanery
09-08-2005, 05:34 PM
Hey guys I took my stock exhaust off of my 88r and replaced it with another stock exhaust. It now leaks soot and smokes where the exhaust connects to the the motor. I put it back on the same way I took it off and it never leaked before.

zedicus00
09-08-2005, 06:38 PM
just out of curiosity y did u replace a stock exhaust with a stock exhaust?

as for it leeking, if its on a stock exhaust flange u need to put a new exhaust seal on everytime u pull the pipe, and i always put a good layer of rtv silicone on it jus to be sure.

The Beanery
09-08-2005, 07:05 PM
Exchanged the rusty stock exhaust for a clean stock exhaust.
Are you talking about the gasket that goes between the head and the flange?? I just went and bought one at the dealer.

Iliketogofast
09-10-2005, 05:45 PM
Er... is it the same year exhaust? maybe the different years have slightly different openings? I don't know what the problem is on mine, but it always spits oil on the front of the motor under the exhaust port, but it's always ran fine so I just clean it and ignore it.

LT250Racer609
09-13-2005, 09:20 PM
use former gasket

Tom TRX250R
09-13-2005, 10:25 PM
I used to have this problem, even with my new aluminum exhaust flange until I bought the high temp orange o-rings. I then bought a new OEM metal gasket for exhaust flange and smeared high temp silicone (orange crap) in between metal gasket and exhuast flange and where the o-rings are and haven't leaked a drop since and that was about 7 months ago. Also make sure when your putting the pipe on to spin the head pipe a little so the o-rings stay in place. My $.02

86-250Rnut
09-14-2005, 09:14 AM
go to a auto store and get high temp silicone gasket maker i think its called. and just put a nice bead around the flange and it should work great! i havent replaced mine since i bought it. and the guy said he did it 2 years ago and still works great!
Mitch:macho

jas250r
09-14-2005, 02:30 PM
where did you get the high temp o-rings from? I have an esr billet flange and couldn't find any hi-temp rings at the local hardware, so i called esr and order some, got them in the mail and they are plain old o-rings not the hi-temp ones that i thought i was ordering, so i bought 6 at $0.99 and 8 bucks for shipping from cal me pissed the fo priceless