PDA

View Full Version : 06 450r and 06 yfz shoot out

jro09
09-08-2005, 02:17 PM
cant wait to see the shoot out between the new 450s. i think the new honda will put those yamicrammers in there place. just have to wait on suzuki's 450. it may surprize us. suzuki always waits a few years after there comp. to come out with something new.so they can get ahead, itll be here this fall but its made for motorcross. and fuel inject. either way im sticking with honda.RIDE RED

09-08-2005, 02:39 PM
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/forumfun/newbie.jpg

jro09
09-08-2005, 03:00 PM
thought we told you not to post pics of yourself. lol. sick!

09-08-2005, 03:52 PM
i got money on the yfz. it beat it before with a cc disadvantage and it will do it again. not trying to start a fight, i know this is a honda website, just giving my opinion.

Luecker
09-08-2005, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by scrimmy
i got money on the yfz. it beat it before with a cc disadvantage and it will do it again. not trying to start a fight, i know this is a honda website, just giving my opinion.

From what I have been reading in the reviews that cc advantage didn't make it that much faster. They made the engine more tractable and torquier.

It looks to me like the Honda will be even with the YFZ now after the motor mods. And the Honda has proven to be more reliable (as always).

dirtriderex
09-08-2005, 04:56 PM
Oh my God, the YFZ was not better b/c of the cc displacement. Honda now has a E-start, FCR carb, titanium valves, etc. Which are all the reasons the YFZ won those lame shootouts, even though I still smoke most of those YFZ's with a o4 model:D

400exrider0004
09-08-2005, 05:05 PM
definately a 06 450r

tido450
09-08-2005, 05:21 PM
as a yfz owner all ill say shootouts are for those who actually think that its all quad and not rider....

ive seen a kid on a stock yfz smoke everyone on the track, and ive seen it down on a stock 450r... these quads are so close id like to own both but in the end with these two machines it ccomes down to rider... the fcr is gonna be good improvement to the 450r but what the hell did they do to the headlight:huh

450Racer
09-08-2005, 08:54 PM
the only fair way to do this is a acurate comparison of specs at this point. would somebody please post the major changes to the Yamaha just for motor/handling. so we can put the specs up maybe to get a general idea of what we're looking at. the Honda has...FCR 40mm carb, 12:1 forged slipper piston, titanium intake valves, new head porting, bigger bore/smaller stroke, re-designed airbox/filter/carb boot, "free-flowing" exhaust for motor, and the smaller tranny gear ratios. looks pretty good to me. a 10cc disadvantage from the 04' models will do virtually nothing when you're looking at numbers. 1/2 or 3/4 hp maybe? that might seem like a lot considering a Pro's motor but this is a stock bike so that 10cc isn't going to "blow you away" by any means. that's the only motor change i'm familiar with. also a price for the 06' Yami to compare that. hopefully, if they stack up the Honda will have a stronger and more reliable motor, better handling/jumping characteristics, E-start option, and cheaper. even if it's not...win on Sunday sell on Monday and i think John has a good hold of that.

kbass24emtp
09-08-2005, 10:07 PM
Here are the 06 changes:
Even more performance: a larger, more powerful, 449cc engine, revised carburetion, head design and ignition timing produce even more of an excellent thing—and an increased-capacity radiator keeps it cool.
New, titanium heat shield is super light and strong.
New larger-capacity radiator is optimally mounted in the frame to guard against damage.
More comfort: a longer steering stem, new handlebars and a thicker seat make the YFZ450 nice to ride for a long time.
Longer travel out back means an excellent ride and handling.
Aluminum grab bars are light and strong.
New, eccentric chain adjuster mechanism simplifies that job, and a new, twin-piston rear brake caliper provides strong, controllable rear braking.
New tires provide excellent traction, handling and ride quality.
New LED taillight is bright, tough and draws less current.

Engine:

Liquid-cooled, 449cc, five-valve, DOHC, four-stroke with titanium valves features 95mm bore and 63.4mm stroke for massive power with high over-rev capacity and crisp, linear throttle response.
Reliable, pushbutton electric start in any gear adds extra convenience.
High performance 39mm Keihin FCR flat-slide carburetor with throttle position sensor (TPS) delivers ultra-precise fuel/air mixing and crisp throttle response.
Additional weight-saving engine features include: magnesium cylinder head cover and right side crankcase cover; small-design cam chain tensioner and oil pump; aluminum oil hose; and light CDI ignition unit.
Trick, works-style clutch lever features oversize barrel adjuster for easy, no tool adjustability of lever/cable play.
Dry sump engine carries oil in an aluminum tank directly in front of the engine for excellent cooling and optimal protection from rocks or mud.
DC ignition system delivers ultra-precise spark and 3D timing for faster, stronger engine response during hard acceleration.
High-performance stainless steel exhaust header is mated to a USFS-approved spark arrestor.
Smooth-shifting YZ-spec ratchet-type five-speed transmission and heavy-duty clutch deliver all that power to the rear tires with maximum efficiency.
Large capacity airbox features no-tool access to the oiled dual foam filter for easy maintenance.
Ignition coil is integrated into the spark plug cap; extremely light and compact.

This is off Yamaha's web site.

kbass24emtp
09-08-2005, 10:10 PM
Here is the specs:

MSRP* $7,449 Bill Ballance Edition w/Kit (Team Yamaha Blue/White) Available from September 2005
$6,999 (Team Yamaha Blue) Available from July 2005
$6,999 (White/Silver) Available from July 2005

Engine
Type 449cc, 4-Stroke Single, Liquid Cooled w/ Fan, Titanium 5-Valve DOHC

Bore x Stroke 95mm x 63.4mm

Compression Ratio 11.4:1

Carburetion Keihin 39mm FCR w/ Throttle Position Sensor

Ignition DC - CDI

Starting System Electric

Transmission 5-Speed Manual Clutch

Drive Train 2WD; Sealed O-Ring Chain, Cam Style Adjustment

Chassis
Suspension/Front Independent Double Wishbone, 9.1” w/ Rebound, Compression and Threaded Preload Adjustment

Suspension/Rear Cast Aluminum Swing Arm, 10.6” w/ Rebound, Compression and Threaded Preload Adjustment

Brakes/Front Dual Hydraulic Disc, Twin Piston

Brakes/Rear Hydraulic Disc, Twin Piston

Tires/Front AT21 x 7-10 Radial

Tires/Rear AT20 x 10-9 Radial

Dimensions
L x W x H 72.4” x 46.1” x 42.9”

Seat Height 31.9”

Wheelbase 50.4”

Ground Clearance 4.4”

Fuel Capacity 2.6 Gallons

Dry Weight 350 Lbs.

Woody_YFZ
09-08-2005, 11:15 PM
All I know is this is getting good. Each year the quads improve and I for one am enjoying the ride. I think Honda definitely did a good thing by adding the E-start. When are they going to up the revs? Doesn't it redline at 9,850 RPM?

Shawn H
09-08-2005, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by tido450
as a yfz owner all ill say shootouts are for those who actually think that its all quad and not rider....

ive seen a kid on a stock yfz smoke everyone on the track, and ive seen it down on a stock 450r... these quads are so close id like to own both but in the end with these two machines it ccomes down to rider... the fcr is gonna be good improvement to the 450r but what the hell did they do to the headlight:huh

Im with this guy:cool: Rider is going to be the deciding factor on which is better performance wise. I'm curious about the reliabilty on both motors now tho>

Johnny & Monica
09-09-2005, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by snowgasm
Im with this guy:cool: Rider is going to be the deciding factor on which is better performance wise. I'm curious about the reliabilty on both motors now tho>

Duane Johnson is trying out his new 06 yfz this weekend at nc gncc this weekend:eek2:

Shawn H
09-09-2005, 07:04 AM
Reallly?

Why did he do that since he has ARS-FX on his Honda all done?

Im getting me an 06 450r

Johnny & Monica
09-09-2005, 08:16 AM
I think he said he had all his ars/fx stuff ordered or on the yfz already.:confused:

But I bet he`ll be on another hondaa before next season begans.

I see your racing a big utility at the 12 hour race:eek2:

I still aint got another quad yet I think I`m going to buy a new leftover 05 for 4999.00 an try getting Taylor an Chance a new trx90`s

Smoker
09-09-2005, 12:44 PM
I think it'll be a little closer of a comparison for stock bikes this year, as far as shoot-outs go. I think you'll see more people riding red because the e-start was a determining factor for some and the idea of not having to deal with the Yamaha going click-click-click instead of starting. I hope the new Suzuki blows everything out of the water performance wise, not because I like Suzuki but it will make the other companies really step it performance wise.

Gator4life
09-09-2005, 01:57 PM
My experience has been that Hondas are not the end-all super-reliable machines that everyone keeps talking. My past experience (bikes and quads for many years) has shown me that Yamaha is actually more reliable-this is strictly an objective opinion-I've had 'em all (Suzuki's and Kawi's, also-they all have good and bad models). As for the YFZ vs the TRX, I have read that the Honda is more reliable, but the Yamaha is faster, yet Natalie dominates everyone on his Honda (and it was after he got on a Honda that he started dominating)? Like someone said earlier, they are probably so close that the rider is the difference. Don't hate..just pick a brand and have fun! Me, I'm waiting to see this new Suzuki before I do anything.......bottom line is we all have some great quads to ride and its getting better every day-How about that Raptor 700-sure looks like a kick in the pants!?!

Shawn H
09-09-2005, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Johnny & Monica
I think he said he had all his ars/fx stuff ordered or on the yfz already.:confused:

But I bet he`ll be on another hondaa before next season begans.

I see your racing a big utility at the 12 hour race:eek2:

I still aint got another quad yet I think I`m going to buy a new leftover 05 for 4999.00 an try getting Taylor an Chance a new trx90`s

I still cant believe he switched over he must like the new YFZ alot to buy all new ARS-FX?

lol Yea I will be racing a Ute for the 12hrs. Should be fun.

Good luck on a new Quad and for the kids they really need a new reliable machine dont they? Isnt Taylor almost ready for Junior class?

sgerbyshak
09-09-2005, 07:28 PM
I would have to disagree with you. In my experience Honda was always the most reliable machine on the market. Maybe not the absolute fastest, but they always were a very good complete package of quality, speed, comfort and best of all reliable...Maybe not always the absolute fastest but I will take 1 milla-second slower for a mega-jump in relialability over a 3 or 4 year period. Most people dont buy a new quad every year....

tido450
09-09-2005, 10:23 PM
from my experience ive seen more hondas being towed off the tracks, unless there are some 04 yfz's then u see them getting towed.

and the main reason john natalie started dominating was because he quite his job, redid he home track, and practiced every day

Johnny & Monica
09-09-2005, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by snowgasm
I still cant believe he switched over he must like the new YFZ alot to buy all new ARS-FX?

lol Yea I will be racing a Ute for the 12hrs. Should be fun.

Good luck on a new Quad and for the kids they really need a new reliable machine dont they? Isnt Taylor almost ready for Junior class?

Taylor gots 1 more year on the trx90 turns 12 tommorow so she may get to race the last race of the year next year in junior class althougth she raced the 300ex at newark mo. series race afew weeks ago.

quad2xtreme
09-10-2005, 06:46 AM
The main, main, main reason John is winning is he is afraid of losing that hot chick to another rider. :)

hondardr4life
09-10-2005, 07:07 PM
Well, the TRX has a slighty higer compression ratio, and a 1mm bigger carb than the YFZ. Now, for the average idiot, that is enough to make them want the R. But I know about motors, and who knows, maybe the YFZ will be a little better still. But, speaking on how huge of a jump that is compared to the 05 450r, and how the yfz and the r were close before, I think Honda is going to wipe the floor with yamha. I know that I will personally be aboard an 06 450r soon enough. :D :D